back to article Blinking good: LG launches smart light bulb for Android/iOS

LG has launched the Smart Lamp, a hi-tech light bulb which can be controlled by smartphone that looks to have the potential to both secure an office and liven up the Christmas party held within its walls. The Smart Lamp is a 60W LED light bulb which can communicate with iOS 6.0 and above or Android 4.3 and above smartphones by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Cooke

£20 is expensive but if it has an API tasker can integrate with it's not too bad especially compared to hue prices.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

At last..

.. I can run Tetris on our own office building. Yes, please :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blinking

during a call its useful for deaf people. I have a firend who his deaf and when someone rings the bell at his apartment the lights in every room blink.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Blinking

"during a call its useful for deaf people. I have a firend who his deaf and when someone rings the bell at his apartment the lights in every room blink."

How ingenious.

Does it do the same when his phone rings as well?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

when someone rings the bell at his apartment the lights in every room blink.

Oh? I thought that was simply a feature of the way British electricians seem to do their job..

(sorry, frustrated home owner here :) )

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Boffin

"Oh? I thought that was simply a feature of the way British electricians seem to do their job.."

Plaster dust in the switch during building work can cause some interesting flickering/poltergeist style lighting effects.

Disconnect mains power

Take out switch from box

Disconnect wires

Apply vacuum cleaner

Reconnect all hardware

Switch on mains

See what happens.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" I have a firend who his deaf and when someone rings the bell at his apartment the lights in every room blink."

Mate of mine used to work with a near-totally-deaf woman who had a hearing dog. When her phone rang the dog would bark.

As she couldn't hear the phone, the dog or if by some miracle she answered the call, the person on the other end it was all somewhat pointless but it did do some interesting things to his bipolar disorder.

1. Ed_UK
        Thumb Up

"Mate of mine used to work with a near-totally-deaf woman who had a hearing dog. When her phone rang the dog would bark."

An old story...

It's common practice to ring a telephone by signaling extra

voltage across one side of the two wire circuit and ground. When the

subscriber answers the phone, it switches to the two wire circuit for

the conversation. This method allows two parties on the same line to be

signaled without disturbing each other.

Anyway, an elderly lady with several pets called to say that her

telephone failed to ring when her friends called, and that on the few

occasions when it did ring her dog always barked first. The telephone

repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic dog.

He climbed a nearby telephone pole, hooked in his test set, and dialed

her house. The phone didn't ring. He tried again. The dog barked loudly,

followed by a ringing telephone. Climbing down from the pole, the

telephone repairman found:

1. A dog was tied to the telephone system's ground post via an iron

chain and collar.

2. The dog was receiving 90 volts of ring signal.

3. After several such jolts, the dog would start barking and urinating

on the ground.

4. The wet ground now completed the circuit and the phone would ring.

Which shows you that some problems in life can be fixed by just pissing

on them...

4. dervheid
    Meh

Vulture Central...

must be REALLY antiquated if you're still huddled under that sort of lighting. Most offices use the ever popular, headache inducing, fluroescent tube. (gotta LOVE that flicker...)

5. Carrawaystick

60 W led?

either it's one of the most inefficient led bulbs going, or it's not 60W

an 8 W bulb is probably brighter than a 100W incandescant bulb...

1. AbelSoul
      Coat

Re: 60 W led?

> ".. it's one of the most inefficient led bulbs going, or it's not 60W.."

Either way, it's still a bright idea. (aherm)

2. g e

Probably 60W effective

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

60 W equivalent.

Apparently, the 'equivalent to' figures stated on CFL bulbs were being compared to frosted-glass bulbs, as opposed to the brighter clear-glassed incandescent bulbs that most people used.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Clearly it's for those people that want blinding sun levels of light in their living room.

Sunglasses, hat and sun cream at the ready :)

3. Vic
      Joke

> either it's one of the most inefficient led bulbs going, or it's not 60W

Alternatively, it might be one hell of a deal :-)

Vic.

6. Anonymous Blowhard

Hackers?

All your light-bulbs are belong to us!

1. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Re: Hackers?

Cats?

1. JurassicPark
        Mushroom

Re: Hackers?

I'm sure NORK spooks will be happy, it'll give 'em a chance to turn the lights out in the South without having to resort to thermo-nuclear war :^)

7. Gary Riches

I have a set up in my house using MiLight. They work out quite a bit cheaper per bulb and are 9W RGB+W bulbs. You can also get strip LEDS too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looked interesting, but the "remote control whilst not in the house" feature very much suggests that control instructions go through a 3rd party server (otherwise it could not cope with DHCP addresses that change and the firewalls that some providers implement in their routers.

An unknown 3rd party with control over bits of my house? Nope. Sorry. (assuming I'm correct here, I asked for clarification).

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

You can choose your own 3rd party server, or you can set your computer to initiate remote desktop requests to your own email periodically. Sorry for being fuzzy on the details, that just what an IT expert told me when I asked the easiest way to control my 3D printer from my phone in the pub.

8. JaitcH
    Unhappy

My wife's new hotel uses only LED lights ...

and to determine if there was any benefit between the brands we carefully numbered each 'light' and it's location.

After a year of use we found the 'Dutch Masters' products were WORSE than cheaper OEM/No Name Chinese knock offs that have a 5-year warranty.

The Phillips mini-fluorescents also have a high fail rate BUT the difference is we can get them refurbished for a $1 (including a one year warranty) from a hole-in-the-wall entrepreneur.

All our lights are tied into our computer controlled fire alarm system which uses lighting to indicate the nearest exit.

9. Sarev

Lights flash when your phone rings

Right, so even the lightbulb manufacturers are getting in on the act of syphoning their customers' call logs. Or am I the only one who immediately connects hearing "we have an app" with "we're grabbing as much data from you as we can"?

10. Sampler

Colour Change?

This would be awesome (especially for the christmas party) if the bulbs could change colour via the app - presuming if they're LED bulbs that should be possible?

11. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Luv Wristwatchez

I bet this new network device ties in well with LG's other business: bullet-proof hosting for spammers and hackable appliances that can send spam. While some networks will use lame excuses to host a spammer for a month or two, LG simply provides invalid contact addresses and hosts the spammer for years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like