The poo has hit the fan big time data wise

This topic was created by MJI .

1. MJI Silver badge
    Facepalm

The poo has hit the fan big time data wise

A customer got hit by Cryptolocker a couple of months ago and restored their main system from backup.

Since then backups have been overwritten.

They have now found their whole archive system is useless, corrupted and not readable.

Has anyone managed to recover data from an attack from a few months ago?

I think they are prepared to be major donors towards an assassination fund!

2. Vince

Moral of the story:

A) Should have had proper off-site backups

B) Should have had better retention policies

C) Should have had at restore testing system (clearly they did not)

D) Should have fired whoever (person or company) poorly advised or didn't address the above

Case closed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The poo has hit the fan big time data wise

Indeed. Unfortunately the number one rule of backup is 'your backup is only as good as your last restore' and it's a bitter lesson to learn. We had a Cryptolocker victim with access to several thousand files on a network share recently, and while we ended up with a time-consuming and irritating restore exercise, it was a tested off-site backup that made complete recovery for the file share possible. The vic, despite being provided with a backup means for his laptop, (along with policy and procedure training) had neglected to put those resources to use and paid a predictable price when it came to his own personal data.

2. jcitron

I agree...

Applications can be easily, or should be easily replaced, but data cannot. Having a good backup scheme in place along with a disaster recovery plan is most important for any organization no matter what size.

3. rose61

Has anyone managed to recover data from an attack from a few months ago?

I think they are prepared to be major donors towards an assassination fund!

:*RosE*:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon