back to article Twitter turns 8: Five tech kingpins whose first tweets are UNBELIEVABLE

Twitter celebrated its eighth birthday today, and has provided a tool to help tweeters pull up their first ever tweet. "In 2006, people began to say a little something on Twitter through 140-character bursts of plain text," the newly IPO'd company said in a blog post. "Eight years later, our users have transformed Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alien Doctor 1.1
    Devil

Where's the hope for us?

If poppy posts:

"Dear friends, I thank you from my heart and I ask you to continue to pray for me. Pope Francis."

then I guess the rest of us are completely farked: surely he is the only one that has the direct line to God (via Prism ofc)

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Useless from the beginning I see.

I have yet to see how Twitter is any better than an RSS feed.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

It's easier on the posting end... any point'n'click moron can do it. Thus the popularity.

1. dan1980

@Gene Cash

And the inanity.

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Stop

I must be missing something

I seem to have led a normal life without seeing any tweets.. From reading El Reg I understand that it so sort of communication system that "celebrities" use to let their followers know that they've had a dump.

WTF is that about and why should I care?

1. blapping

Re: I must be missing something

Well seeing as though you're the sort of person that calls The Register "El Reg", and puts the word 'celebrities' in inverted commas to try and devalue a legitimate if already implicitly valueless classification, I'm not surprised. I am surprised you haven't finished with some 'witty' comment about getting your coat, or 'freetards', or one of the many other phrases you all seem so keen on repeating to each other like barking dogs.

4. kurka

To the point...

It allows all of us to have followers and be celebrities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To the point...

Although celebrities frequently outsource their tweeting to their PR teams - as we found out recently when L'Wren Scott was apparently still posting stuff an hour after being found dead.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: To the point...

It allows all of us to have followers and be celebrities.

Curiously, it seems all you need is a Twitter account and you start attracting followers. I have a couple of accounts. One I've only ever used for following a handful of people or occasionally following short-lived hashtags (e.g. for academic conferences I'm attending, in case there are pertinent announcements); the other is my work account, which exists solely to follow tweets from the company and co-workers. Though actually I haven't read either in months, when my workaround for Twitter's idiotic requirement of idiotic OAuth stopped working around. (I can't be bothered to fix it.)

I have never tweeted a single message, but between the two accounts I have a couple dozen followers, eagerly hanging on my utter silence. Some are people who know me in person and stumbled across one of my accounts. Some are people who followed me back after I followed them. Some are spammers and the sort of callow ninny who searches for Twitter accounts that might belong to a person who replied to a thread on LinkedIn, in an effort to expand their "social" network.

I don't think that makes me a celebrity, even by today's lax standards, but it's true that Twitter does make it very easy to attract faux attention. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

5. Mark Major
    Happy

I thought the Gates one was quite witty

"Hello World". What else could a programmer possibly put when testing an unfamiliar system?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: I thought the Gates one was quite witty

How unfamiliar was it? Really, these initial tweets have the look of people using the medium because they feel obligated to do so. Twitter was conceived as a Web-SMS gateway, and it's obviously analogous to email and web-forum posting and Usenet and BBS messages and any number of other forms of technologically-mediated communication going back to the telegraph (from which, distantly, tweets get their character limit).

Gates et alia would have done better to wait until they had something useful, or entertaining, or at least witty for their first tweet. Or not bothered, of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like