back to article BLUE BIRD DOWN: Turkey wipes out Twitter 'scourge'

Turkish prime minister Tayyip Erdogan appears to have ordered Twitter be blocked in the nation after the service was used to post information alleging government corruption. Turkish users trying to load Twitter.com were taken to a page with a statement from the local telecoms regulator TIB, according to Reuters. The statement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

This is an example of the national interest and the public interest being divergent.

There are many others.

1. frank ly

Governing party interests are an entirely different thing, added to the mix.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Facepalm

So if Twitter is banned

What good is a *tweet* telling you how to get around it?!?

1. countd

Re: So if Twitter is banned

Not much. This, however, might be useful to a _very_ limited audience:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjPUGloIYAANz2t.jpg

1. phuzz Silver badge

Or indeed this one with the DNS details written on Edrogan's face:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjNsQRIIUAAAwTE.png

If the only way they're blocking twitter is at the DNS level, well, you all understand how pointless that is.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Blocking DNS might be more effective than you think. Wouldn't an ISP be able to sniff out DNS requests and make sure to block/redirect those not bound for their specific resolver IPs? A serious control-freak would then go on to suspect any endpoint using a lot of encrypted connections (such as perhaps using a VPN tunnel) as trying to get around that.

1. ortunk

as we privacy minded Turks do all the time...

3. ForthIsNotDead

Wow

I worked in Turkey about six or seven years ago. Mostly in the Adana area, but went right up to the North and the border with Georgia, too. Did Erzerum and all those places. Lovely, friendly hospitable people. Beautiful, raw scenery, great weather.

Shame their government seems to have gone completely fucking bonkers.

4. Tromos

There are many reasons Twitter, Facebook et al. should die. Shielding a tinpot dictator from criticism isn't one of them.

5. David Roberts

Preparing to join the Eu?

This should bolster their case no end.

6. Rob Burke

Shame

It's heart breaking to watch that clown of Government quickly eradicate the rights of the Turkish. Would love it if the pro secular party win the elections but don't see it happening with all he corruption and bribing of the poor in the East.

7. jbuk1

Crosses Turkey off the holiday list.

8. cheveron

Simple DNS block?

As I understand it, the Turkish system of blocking sites is much simpler than the Chinese method, and can be bypassed without requiring a VPN. Just point your machine at a different DNS server: http://www.thesimplest.net/pc/simplest-way-bypass-dns-block

1. Sebby
      Unhappy

Re: Simple DNS block?

At the moment, yeah. They're working on more insidious methods though, so you'll probably want to bring alone a VPN, just in case.

This whole struggle makes me sad though. You don't need censorship to defend your convictions, or your political leadership. Crackpot militant nationalists and intolerant fanatical believers notwithstanding, it's a plan that nobody wants, everybody hates, and that will fail long-term. Turkey is indeed a lovely place full of lovely people and you should visit just as soon as you can walk down the street without being gassed or stampeded over (full disclosure: my relatives are nearly all Turks :) ). Just have a bumbag for your wallet and don't forget to register your IMEI and get a prepaid SIM card with a good data allowance that would put the operators in Blighty to shame.

9. Bigbird3141

"Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is.” What's the prime minister's name? Ozymandias?

10. TRT Silver badge

I saw this on the BBC...

Something about the Cardasians opposing the move?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: I saw this on the BBC...

Wait - Cardasians? Are you talking about the thin, stringy-necked arrogant nuts who think they own everything, or the aliens from Star Trek DS9?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is"

Obviously not much, if a mere 160 characters of free speech is enough to threaten it.

Or maybe he means that they have the amazing power to... tweak a few dns settings. Wow! Powerful enough to press some keys on a keyboard. How impressive.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Export opportunity

> tweak a few dns settings

How primitive. I'm sure John Tittingdale, Clare "Bear" Shandy and the other pompous windbags of the UK's Depratment of Censorship, Moralising and Suppression will be happy to take an all-expenses-paid jolly to assist the Turkish PM with more modern and effective methods of keeping the voters from seeing things that would only upset and corrupt them. It's for their own good and all in the interests of pan-European censorship harmonisation after all.

13. Vociferous

No authoritarian ever liked freedom of speech.

In fact, it's one of the easiest ways to spot them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like