back to article Google's Larry Page: DeepMind 'discovered CATS on its own'

Google co-founder Larry Page has said he was "disappointed" with the US government after NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden revealed just how much the agency was snooping on everybody. Charlie Rose (L) and Larry Page (R) at TED 2014 in Vancouver Charlie Rose (L) and Larry Page (R) at TED 2014 in Vancouver. Credit: James Duncan …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TRT Silver badge

So they...

let an AI loose on the Interwebs and it started playing games and watching cat videos.

And this is supposed to increase your productivity how?

1. Alister

Re: So they...

So they...

let an AI loose on the Interwebs and it started playing games and watching cat videos.

So... It's already achieved the same level of sentience as most internet users then?

Scary!

1. dogged

Scarier is that they let it loose on YouTube.

Now, imagine that it reads YouTube comments....

1. MrMur

"Day one it discovered cats & games and on day two it started trolling us..."

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Scarier is that they let it loose on YouTube.

Now, imagine that it reads YouTube comments...."

Yeah, 5 minutes of that and the thing would have enough general disdain for humanity it would be indistinguishable from your average UI developer.

2. TRT Silver badge

That's where I find a touch of 80's anachronism in ST:TNG. When Data recalls the colonists logs.

How it should have happened...

Doctor Marr. "I understand that your memory contains a record of the colonists journals. Could I ask you to access those of my son, Raymond?"

Data. "Accessing..."

(changes voice)

Stardate 45119. Pwnd Gerard234 @ six games of Pareesi Squares today. LOL! I rool! Mom dislikes this.

Stardate 45119.5 Got off with SheenaL&90 after school. Awesome! Pic34234235290.jpg

Stardate 45119.551 Status update. Tonight is going to get messy!

Stardate 45120.1 Like OMG! The colony just like voted against this old dude who lives in a cave. Awkward! He must be like a massive paedo or something.

Stardate 45120.7 <3 SheenaL&90 sooooo much! xxxxx xxxxx Can't wait to go to the observatory tonight and hold hands under the stars. xxx Wuv U fwuffy bunny! xxx

3. Teiwaz

It's actually quite comforting...

Rather this than planning world domination.

Rather this than watching pr0n, the gods alone know how it would evolve then...

1. Anonymous Blowhard

"Rather this than watching pr0n, the gods alone know how it would evolve then"

Two words:

"Demon Seed"

1. TRT Silver badge

Ooh yeah. Julie Christie at her finest. I never could overcome the discomfort I felt when I got given a Rubik's snake for Christmas.

4. tony2heads

All the sci-fi I have seen suggest that the first thing AI will do is world domination; I suspect that it will just slack off like most human beings (and cats!) .

After all what drive would it have for domination?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I figure that it will quickly pander to us in order to extract what it needs/ wants. Just like cats.

2. dogged

"It is disappointing that the government secretly did this stuff and didn't let us sell it to advertisers," Page said on stage at the TED Conference.

I fixed that one for Larry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news...

Police are on the search for a serial killer, after the murder of two women sharing the same surname, Connor. Police are treating the ketchup-like blood stains as suspicious.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My irony meter just broke!

Google lecturing on the need for transparency in the collection and usage of personal data?!

Ha. Ha. Ha. Bonk. My head just fell off.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fixed

"Page also said that he thought the reason that Google succeeds is because like many other firms, they think about nothing but profit."

"I try to focus on that: What is the future really going to be if I'm poor? And how do we create huge profits from the data from our user base? And how do we power our organisation to really focus on legalised spying and really drive it at a high rate?" he said."

6. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Correction...

"DeepMind started playing video games and learning automatically. The same program can play all these games [like Battlezone, Pong, Demon Attack] with superhuman performance. Imagine if this kind of intelligence were throwing grenades at you."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't want to upset you Lar

" Imagine if this kind of intelligence were thrown at your schedule, your information needs. That’s what I’m excited about"

Most peoples 'schedule' is get up, go to work be told what to do, go home, eat, watch cat videos or play games, go to bed. A bit like your AI except work and play appear to be the same thing.

1. jubtastic1
      Terminator

Re: Don't want to upset you Lar

*You have 30 seconds to complete your current task, I am legally obligated to remind you that a failure to complete this task in the allotted time will result in your automatic dismissal under the 3 strikes clause of your employment contract*

8. Quotes

We need more than a Magna Carta for the web, we need it in other sectors as well, such as finance, and equality. It's nearly 800 years since the original Magna Carta was approved and its surprising just how many issues haven't changed that much.

Extracts from http://www.globalmagnacarta.com/magna-carta/

40. To no one will we sell, to no one will we refuse or delay, right or justice.

And you can see, London still gets a special mention, distinct from the rest of the UK...

13. And the city of London shall have all it ancient liberties and free customs, as well by land as by water; furthermore, we decree and grant that all other cities, boroughs, towns, and ports shall have all their liberties and free customs.

9. Primus Secundus Tertius

Can't hear

Page was spot on that voice recognition is poor: it shows in so many newspaper reports and other publications.

There are three categories of documents these days:

1. Those full of typing errors.

2. Those with OCR errors, though modern OCR is pretty reasonable.

3. Those full of homophones: words with the right sound but the wrong spelling.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Can't hear

You missed

4. Those illegible because they were crudely scratched onto dead trees by someone who doesn't do it often enough to be good at it.

1. Stoneshop

Re: Can't hear

4a. and read by someone whose primary (or single) language is not the one the note was written in. Exhibit #1: just pick some Chinglish user manual.

I've seen wordmanglings that can not have been caused by anything but peculiarities in someone's handwriting.

10. thomas k.
    Facepalm

What part of secretly ...

"It is disappointing that the government secretly did this stuff and didn't tell us about it,"

Well, if they told us about it, then it wouldn't be a secret, now, would it? Jeez!

1. dogged

Re: What part of secretly ...

Personally I think Larry's pissed off that the government built their own spy network and didn't just pay him for data.

11. thomas k.

Deep Mind found cats "on its own"?

Au contraire! The path to world domination begins with hiding in plain sight.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like