back to article DARPA reveals 2009 hyperplane test schedule

Further details of the US military hypersonics programme have emerged, with confirmation of planned tests above the Pacific in 2009. Flight International reports that there will be two trials next year, in May and October. These will use Hypersonic Technology Vehicles (HTVs) fired up to speed aboard Minotaur solid-fuel rockets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. E

Don't worry ' bout the kiwis

Could this be used to round up all the traveling Oz's and drop them into outer space? Or at least near earth orbit?

2. The_Police!
    Coat

Acronym

HARD-COCK!

Mines the one with, 'Right Cocky Bastard'

3. Head
    Thumb Up

Acronyms

I think your acronym generating machine needs some lubrication...

4. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

Travelling ozzies

"Could this be used to round up all the traveling Oz's and drop them into outer space? Or at least near earth orbit?"

Nah, I discovered the other weekend that they make great wingmen if you are Scottish.

Given the choice, it appears my accent wins over the antipodeans charm.

[besides, there are some rather nice bits of aussie skirt around here - lovely.]

Sorry, what was that story about again?

Steven R

5. Richie M
    Stop

Choc Cheese =! NZ

WTF are you on about Kiwis and the choclate cheese for?

It clearly states where the choclate cheese is available and New Zeland aint one of them (although some of its neighbours are)

"Within the first six months of the product’s launch in Taiwan, CHESDALE chocolate cheese slices grabbed a 10 per cent share of the overall cheese market. The product has since been launched in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand with similar success."

Come on El Reg, next you'll be blaming GTA4 for some random stabbing. Oh wait....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

clear proof man is insane

This piece of uselessness fits perfectly into a world where a sustainable food and water supply come second to more technology hyper accelerating us to our self destruction.

7. Adair Silver badge

Hypersonic nostalgia

'We are the boys from down on the farm

We really know our cheese.

There's much better value in Chesdale,

It never fails to please.

Chesdale slices thinly,

Never crumbles,

There's no waste.

And, boy, it's got a mighty taste!

Chesdale cheese,

Finest cheddar,

Made better!'

I always remember it as having that hint of the oil refinery about it.

Didn't stop us absorbing the propaganda along with the additives.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I have little faith...

in a high tech plane that was clearly designed on an Amiga

9. Dave Bell

This is a new idea?

Dr. Eugen Sanger was working on this sort of thing more than 70 years ago.

http://www.luft46.com/misc/sanger.html

10. ImaGnuber

I want one

And I swear I will try to use it to drop food to the third-world poor if one of you will be on the ground to warn them of the approaching mach 6 bag of flour.

11. Jon Tocker

@ImaGnuber

I'm pretty sure that it would be more humane if you merely dropped several kilos of C4 out of a sub-sonic plane onto the starving Third World. Hitting them with Mach-6 flour probably contravenes a number of Arms Limitation treaties and the Geneva Convention.

12. Sean O'Connor
    Black Helicopters

Only Blackswift flying will debunk Aurora myths?

The conspiracy theorists are worried that Aurora's existance will be called into doubt if Blackswift gets off the ground next year?

What about the fact that the SR-71 was pulled out of retirement after only 4 years. She was retired in 1990 and Congress ordered them back to service in 1994, 2 of which were mission ready and flying again by Fall of 1995. And then put back into mothballs by 2000.

NASA still flies one specially configured SR-71 for scientific testing.

In 2007 the Airforce did announce the SR-72 program but didnt expect to have a functional plan until 2020.

13. Charley
    Coat

Better Acronym

Shouldn't the Hypersonic Technology Vehicles be Hypersonic Intercontinental Vehicles? Then HARD-COCK could give you HIVs.

And before I go to the cloakroom,

Adair:

How well I remember it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mdBQ7uuIQYA

Mines the old (made in NZ) Swandri...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

<cough>HOTOL<cough>

LOTS of people have proposed these things, for years. Sometimes they almost get built, but then the project mysteriously gets "cancelled" - lack of funds is often the excuse, or that there's no need for such a beast at the time.

Any suggestion that the Men In Black are working in conjunction with the Alphabet Soup brigades is purely rumour and speculation...

15. Senor Beavis
    Coat

@Stu Reeves

What a swizz. It's clearly a Python from Elite, which means you'll always see it running away from you as you laser its ass.

Mine's the one with "Right On Commander" on the back

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like