1. ðøþ“ßj}²\ßð¹|²

What is Orlowski afraid of?

A few hours ago I posted a comment, which you'll find quoted at the bottom of this message, on the "So. Farewell then Steelie Neelie: You were WORSE than USELESS" article by A. Orlowski.

The comment, two straight questions posed to the aforementioned author, was rejected (without any form of response, obviously). I understand that since he started allowing comments at all, he has this habit of pre-moderating his articles, which is his call as long as The Reg are fine with it. However, part of the benefit of online news is being able to have a public discussion about the topic, involving the author when it's appropriate to do so, such as clarifying his own motives for taking on a certain subject or focusing it in a certain way--this potentially adds value to the article and improves the quality of your readership, either by them being better informed, or by them going elsewhere if they decide your articles are not worth reading after all (an angry reader provides no benefit and can negatively impact reputation, therefore it's better to just lose them).

I shall give Mr. Orlowski the benefit of doubt and provide him with another opportunity to enlighten us as to his motives for a) choosing to focus his recent efforts on the EC's Commissioner for Digital Agenda (the postholder rather than the office itself, it seems), and b) taking the particular view that he's taken, which largely consists of attacks towards said commissioner without providing any real rationale or alternative arguments or proposals.

My original post follows:

Which axe to grind?

Orlowski, that's quite a fixation you have with the commissioner in question. Is it because you expect this to increase your readership, or because of some other particular agenda?

As the first poster has said, what exactly do you propose?

2. Simon Rockman

FWIW

Authors don't (usually) moderate the comments, other people in The Register office do that.

Simon

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FWIW

I seem to recall that Orlowski does or did at one point moderate comments in his own articles. That might have been hearsay though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon