back to article Planes fail to find 'credible' candidate for flight MH370 wreckage

Australia has sent planes to the Southern Ocean, some 2,500km south-west of Perth, after analysis of what's been described as “commercial satellite imagery” revealed large objects suspected to be debris from missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370. The search area, depicted below in a map released by the Australian Maritime …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. P_0

Hope they find it.

If found this probably supports the cockpit fire theory more than any other.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

If it flew with the pilots disabled

why did none of the passengers try to call for help with their mobile phones?

Is hard enough as it is to get passengers to stop making calls as the plane accelerates down the runway for takeoff, is the plane was clearly unpiloted then surely the airwaves would have been alive with panic calls to loved one etc just like those aboard one of the planes that crashed on 11-Sept-2001.

Just asking you know.

1. Jon Bright

Re: If it flew with the pilots disabled

...because it was out of range of cell towers?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

For quite a while as it flew down the malacca straights and over part of Indonesia it would have been within range of a few towers.

now if all the passengers were knocked out then yes it might have been impossible to make a call.

The Swedish/Danish TV series 'The Bridge 2' contained an episode where a virus was to be distributed over the A/C to the passengers on a plane. You could substitute a knockout/killer gas for the virus and then you have a plane that will fly on autopilot until the fuel runs out.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"You could substitute a knockout/killer gas for the virus and then you have a plane that will fly on autopilot until the fuel runs out."

No need for a gas, only a lack of gas-air.

Gradual decompression would more than suffice. Though, there are alarms that should go off in the case of low cabin pressure.

1. Mad Mike

@Wzrd1

"No need for a gas, only a lack of gas-air.

Gradual decompression would more than suffice. Though, there are alarms that should go off in the case of low cabin pressure."

Absolutely. However, there was clear manual intervention in the flight control computer after the incident which caused the turnaround. Plus, you have separate oxygen supplies for each pilot for at least a while. Yet, they didn't manage to get a message out? Clearly the electrical systems were still working to a point as the engines were still pinging a satellite. You'd need an insane chain of highly improbable acts to get anywhere close to something that could explain this.

1. Vic

> you have separate oxygen supplies for each pilot for at least a while

Do we know that?

The 777 can have either one or two cylinders supplying oxygen for the flight crew. I do not know the configuration of this aircraft (I'm working from the FCOM for some Qatar Airways aircraft).

That bit notwithstanding, the rest of your post is on the money.

Vic.

2. Charles Manning

@Jon: Steve Davis must have been making a crap joke that didn't work. Nobody could really be that stupid.

I would not make a call from there because roaming charges are a rip off in Australia,

2. lamont

Mobile phones don't have remotely enough range

No cell towers in the middle of the Ocean.

Agreed, it looks like it was probably a fire that disabled the crew and passengers with fumes but wasn't severe enough to take the plane down. In the first moments they changed course to head to an airport, but then the plane just travelled on as a ghost plane.

So the pilots weren't terrorists or suicidal and all the fantasies about the plane being diverted and landing somewhere were wrong. Just tragically crashed into the ocean.

I still don't understand why they had enough time to turn the jet but not enough to radio a distress. Mostly this makes more sense, however, than anything else I've heard so far.

1. The Axe

Re: Mobile phones don't have remotely enough range

"I still don't understand why they had enough time to turn the jet but not enough to radio a distress. Mostly this makes more sense, however, than anything else I've heard so far."

Because pilots are trained to sort out the problem first and then communicate with ATC last. Aviate, navigate, communicate - in that order. So if there was a fire the pilots would have diverted to the nearest airport immediately then start trying to sort out the problem. Unfortunately the problem probably meant that the communication facilities stopped working as they turned around. So that's why there was no message from the pilots. They couldn't communicate.

1. Vic

Because pilots are trained to sort out the problem first and then communicate with ATC last. Aviate, navigate, communicate - in that order.

That's *generally* true, but pilots are also taught to get the Mayday call out when something goes wrong - SAR is very difficult if you don't know what you're looking for, as we've seen in this example.

The Mayday call is, IIRC, the only bit of the R/T exam that you *have* to get right first time or you will fail. Additionally, it's required during the PFL on the skills test, or you will fail. In an emergency situation, Commuicate trumps Navigate, and comes pretty close to Aviate.

The PIC on this aircraft had - what, 18,000 hours experience? He knew what he was doing. If he'd had the opportunity, he would have got the call or the squawk out. The aircraft clearly had no major handling issues, as we can see from the track it took.

Unfortunately the problem probably meant that the communication facilities stopped working as they turned around. So that's why there was no message from the pilots. They couldn't communicate.

One of the communication methods available to a pilot is to fly patterns - flying 2 left-hand triangles of 1 min per side would alert the radar controller that the radios had failed completely. We know the aircraft was capable of manoeuvring, so this procedure was available to the pilots, so long as they were conscious.

What about if they weren't conscious? That would prove that the FD had already been reprogrammed with waypoints that were not on the flight plan. So if this were the case, something nefarious had already happened.

Vic.

1. PNGuinn

Could the reprogramming have been done before takeoff ie on the ground? When should it have been done? Could the pilots not notice?

1. Vic

> Could the reprogramming have been done before takeoff ie on the ground?

Well - yes. But that would mean the pilots were complicit in the disappearance of the aircraft.

> When should it have been done?

It shouldn't. The flight should have been set up when the pilots took command of the aircraft, and their route should match the flightplan they filed,

> Could the pilots not notice?

They would have had to perform the deed, so yes - they would certainly notice...

Vic.

2. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...Unfortunately the problem probably meant that the communication facilities stopped working as they turned around. So that's why there was no message from the pilots. They couldn't communicate...

They were flying close to the ground as they went over Malaysia - close enough for passengers phones to connect to cells. I wonder why no one phoned down, if the plane's main comms were dead?

I suspect that comms WERE possible from the aircraft, and that the occupants were either dead or unwilling to use them...

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"Because pilots are trained to sort out the problem first and then communicate with ATC last. Aviate, navigate, communicate - in that order."

So why did they fiddle with the transponder?

And if the fire took it out, what sort of damage 'footprint' would take that system out but leave the SATCOM system powered for the duration of the flight?

2. Charles 9

I still don't understand why they had enough time to turn the jet but not enough to radio a distress. Mostly this makes more sense, however, than anything else I've heard so far.

Pilots are taught there are three priorities when it comes to flying a plane:

1. Aviate (Keep the plane flying)

2. Navigate (Keep the plane on course)

3. Communicate (Keep tabs with others)

It's quite possible that an event that knocked out everyone aboard (similar to Helios Airways Flight 522--note everyone was knocked out before (3) occurred here, too) occurred at the (1) or (2) stage but before (3) could be conducted.

3. Mike 112

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate in that order...

4. Chris Miller

Some aircraft support the use of cellphones via an on-board picocell and satellite link (roaming costs are huge, of course). The 777 is certainly capable, and some of the Malaysian fleet support it, but I haven't seen a statement as to whether this particular airframe was one of them.

The fact that no calls were made suggests that it probably wasn't (or that the facility was accidentally or intentionally disabled).

5. Adam 1

>I still don't understand why they had enough time to turn the jet but not enough to radio a distress

There is a possibility that whatever incident also took out their radio or the pilots were overcome before they could take that sort of action.

1. Mad Mike

@Adam1.

"There is a possibility that whatever incident also took out their radio or the pilots were overcome before they could take that sort of action."

I'm not sure if people are frequent fliers and trying to delude themselves or what. In an attempt to prove it wasn't deliberate action on someones part, people are chaining together events, which are improbable in their own rights, but together are fanciful.

The flash fire theory for instance. A sudden fire so intense it takes out both pilots almost instantly, yet leaves the plane in a condition to fly for 6-7 hours!! People are letting their desire for this to be an accident override basic logic and common sense. Especially as after the turnaround, there was clear manual input into the flight control computer at least. So, clearly a flash fire didn't kill the crew in one hit, otherwise there would be nobody to program the flight control.

6. mark jacobs
          Coat

Well, it's about time they started building phone masts in the middle of oceans for just such an occasion. :-)

1. DropBear
            Joke

Well, it's about time they started building phone masts in the middle of oceans for just such an occasion. :-)

Oh, they already have. They just decided to make them half a thousand miles high, and start from the top - it's called "satellite phone"...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alien abduction seems even more likely....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Hmm.

"Alien abduction seems even more likely...."

I sense I'm probably going to regret asking this AC, but what's your 'reasoning' there?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad
          Alien

Re: aliens

We need no steenking reasons to bring in aliens. They're an universal factor, like deus ex machina or Finnegans Finagling Factor.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm.

I'd call AC's comment a joke, but CNN has already ran with the space aliens stealing the plane *and* apparently God was low in aircraft and stole it.

It just goes to prove, the media will run with any story that sells their news product and that the US will deploy an aircraft carrier anywhere money is to be made, but not to find a cheap aircraft.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@p_0

Unfortunately there is far more evidence that supports the theory that this was pilot suicide rather than a fire. I would like to think it was a fire myself as this is far more palatable than the pilot suicide theory however the current evidence just doesn't lend credence to it being a fire.

How dreadful must this be for the relatives of those on board ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @p_0

@rm -rf / "Unfortunately there is far more evidence that supports the theory that this was pilot suicide rather than a fire." Do you always endeavor to see the worst in people, I think you need help, try seeing a shrink.

Pilot murder/suicide is flying a plane into the ground/sea, not sitting in the cockpit for 7 hours waiting for the fuel to run out having disabled your co-pilot. Cockpit fire/decompression is the obvious answer, always has been, despite Govt/Tabloids incessant shouting that terrorists are everywhere and we need to spedn £46 thousand million a year to tackle them.

2. James Micallef Silver badge

If that's true that must have been one messed-up-in-the-head pilot. Surely even if he couldn't get any help for himself, he could have come up with a way that didn't take 300+ people with him :(

1. DropBear
          Stop

Sorry, none of that explains why their transponder has been disabled - remember, a transponder that was still able to keep sending minimal blips hours later. And I'm not buying the "too busy to talk" part either - they do have oxygen masks, and whatever one of them did to react to a hypothetical incident, the other could have "phoned in" in the mean time - it's not like the plane was in a dive or something, clearly.

2. Mad Mike

Fire or other inflight accident is almost impossible here. From the flightpath, it is known that the autopilot was reprogrammed and it was following an autopilot course all the way over Malaysia and into the Indian Ocean. So, the autopilot course set was not to get them back to an airport, so it doesn't make sense.

Fumes disabling people is also not possible. The pilots are equipped with their own personal oxygen supplies, which may not have lasted 7 hours, but would have lasted long enough to get control and put out a mayday. We also know that the electrical systems of the aircraft were working at least to some extent (hence satellite 'pinging' etc.). Therefore, how did all the other electrical systems (such as transponder etc.) fail (and all backups) without being switched off?

For a considerable part of the early part of the flight post 'incident', mobile phones would have been in easy range of towers, yet no attempt was made to make any calls. Indeed, if I were flying in the plane, the severity of the initial turn back would have at least caused me concern and would have been obvious to those inside. So, again, why no mobile phone calls.

Also, bear in mind the debris spotted in the Indian Ocean is outside the 7hour flight time of the aircraft (it might have been carried by ocean currents) and is thought to be bobbing just under the surface. The largest part is also believed to be 24m long. If the aircraft entered an uncontrolled descent (say due to fuel running out) and hit the ocean, there is almost no chance of a 24m piece of debris being left. It would hit at high speed (600mph?) and would be utterly destroyed. At that speed, it would be the same as flying into concrete. So, could they have tried to land on the Ocean? Maybe, but why fly there and then try to do that? All in all, this doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm sorry, but all in all, anything but deliberate act (by someone unknown) seems almost impossible. The known information (assuming what we're told is right) seems to rule it out. Whether it's the pilot(s) or someone else, who knows. The known movements of the aircraft seem to rule out accident, as does the inability to find the debris (so far) and the information that some of the known flightpath seems to include segments designed to avoid radar (flying low for instance, but whilst seemingly under control).

The other thing that is very odd, is the actions of the various authorities and entities involved in the investigation/search. The Malaysian officials look about as shifty as you can get. They constantly avoid questions, are now stopping relatives from talking to the press and just generally appear to be hiding things. They keep changing things and maintaining positions when everyone knows something else is true and then having to admit it later. For instance, they denied the flight turned back and went across Malaysia, but then had to admit their own radar had actually seen this!!

Some of the other countries involved also appear to be less than open or exhibiting strange behaviour. The Chinese are strangely silent in many ways considering the large number of nationals on the plane. Yes, there's the odd comment, but not as much as one would expect. Indeed, there is much less noise around it than one might expect. The known information is only gradually leaking out (such as the satellite contacts) and it's almost having to be pulled out of them.

All in all, a very strange situation.

1. P_0

First and foremost I hope that whatever happened, whenever they do find the wreckage, that they find the crew and passengers were unconscious when they hit the water.

Fire or other inflight accident is almost impossible here. From the flightpath, it is known that the autopilot was reprogrammed and it was following an autopilot course all the way over Malaysia and into the Indian Ocean. So, the autopilot course set was not to get them back to an airport, so it doesn't make sense.

Up to a point I would agree that this is the weakest point in the "fire" theory. I don't know how the AP ended up in the Southern Ocean. And I won't pretend to.

Fumes disabling people is also not possible. The pilots are equipped with their own personal oxygen supplies, which may not have lasted 7 hours, but would have lasted long enough to get control and put out a mayday. We also know that the electrical systems of the aircraft were working at least to some extent (hence satellite 'pinging' etc.). Therefore, how did all the other electrical systems (such as transponder etc.) fail (and all backups) without being switched off?

Well, this is a bit of a stretch. In the panic and chaos we would never know what they were doing, or if the oxygen masks were working correctly, if the fire was a sudden flash fire, or if the succumbed to thick smoke. There is no way of knowing how long they had to put on oxygen masks. Even then, they could easily pass out form the heat.

As for the passengers, I don't know. But it may not be relevant to what happened if the flight cabin door was locked and inaccessible.

Also, bear in mind the debris spotted in the Indian Ocean is outside the 7hour flight time of the aircraft (it might have been carried by ocean currents) and is thought to be bobbing just under the surface.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. It seems to be within a reasonable distance of the tip of the southern arc.

The largest part is also believed to be 24m long. If the aircraft entered an uncontrolled descent (say due to fuel running out) and hit the ocean, there is almost no chance of a 24m piece of debris being left. It would hit at high speed (600mph?) and would be utterly destroyed. At that speed, it would be the same as flying into concrete.

We have no way of knowing what the angle of incidence was, what the speed was, etc. So none of the above is fact. In fact I doubt very much that it is the case that in the event of a crash caused by lack of engines that the whole plane would be utterly destroyed (as in no fuselage).

So, could they have tried to land on the Ocean? Maybe, but why fly there and then try to do that? All in all, this doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm not sure you understand the "fire" theory. Nobody was flying the plane down there. The pilots and and passengers were unconscious or dead.

I'm sorry, but all in all, anything but deliberate act (by someone unknown) seems almost impossible. The known information (assuming what we're told is right) seems to rule it out. Whether it's the pilot(s) or someone else, who knows. The known movements of the aircraft seem to rule out accident, as does the inability to find the debris (so far) and the information that some of the known flightpath seems to include segments designed to avoid radar (flying low for instance, but whilst seemingly under control).

There are no theories that make much sense. Terrorism or Suicide don't really hold up to scrutiny. But by and large the fire theory (or some catastrophic event) fits better than any other. Clearly we don't have anywhere near enough information to make better theories.

And again, as I said in the OP, if the debris is indeed the missing plane, the fire theory makes more sense. Why would terrorists deliberately fly to the middle of nowhere to run out of fuel and crash? And if it wasn't for Inmarsat's data, which presumably any terrorist wouldn't have known about, we would never have known where to begin looking.

1. Vic

this is the weakest point in the "fire" theory

It destroys your "fire" theory.

If a fire broke out on the flight deck and instantly incapacitated both pilots, one of the following four things would have happened :-

- The plane flies on to its original destination airport (because the pilots have not told the FD to divert)

- The plane flies to its divert aitport (because they did tell it)

- The plane flies randomly because the FD is no longer viable

- The plane falls out of the sky because it is no longer viable

The important fact here is that none of the above happened; the plane *actually* flew on through a number of waypoints that were neither part of the original flight plan nor part of any divert. This tells us *for sure* that either the pilots were in command of the aircraft, or the FD was.

If the pilots were in command, your theory is destroyed. So let's consider the option that the pilots were incapacitated and the FD was flying.

Where did the waypoints come from? They were not part of the flight. They were not part of the divert. They can *only* have been added by a human on the flight deck. And that destroys your theory as well[1].

Well, this is a bit of a stretch. In the panic and chaos we would never know what they were doing, or if the oxygen masks were working correctly, if the fire was a sudden flash fire, or if the succumbed to thick smoke.

The masks were working. Flight equipment is checked regularly by licenced operatives. The contents of the supply is part of the pre-flight check, and the pressure is continually monitored, with EICAS messages in the event of a pressure drop.

If the fire were sufficiently fierce to have disabled both pilots, there is a strong probabililty of structural damage to the front of the aircraft. It flew a long distance afterwards with no apparent ill effects.

And thick smoke - whilst obviously unpleasant - would not have disabled both pilots within the couple of seconds it takes to reach the mask. The mask harness is inflated automatically on activation and deflated when the mask lever is released to settle the mask onto the face.

And, of course, we still have to account for those extra waypoints...

I'm not sure you understand the "fire" theory. Nobody was flying the plane down there. The pilots and and passengers were unconscious or dead.

So who told the plane to fly there? It's not a decision it would have made on its own. And we do know that either the pilot or the FD was functioning after the turn-around point.

But by and large the fire theory (or some catastrophic event) fits better than any other.

No, it doesn't. I know you've convinced yourself that you've solved the puzzle, but your theory entirely ignores just about all the evidence we've got. Unless we're all the victims of a *substantial* amount of misinformation, it just doesn't hold water.

Vic.

[1] There is the slimmest possibility that a fire event such as you hypothesise occurred subsequent to one or more of the pilots deciding to hijack their own aircraft, with that hijack being prevented from successful conclusion by an accident. But I really don't think you'd find anyone who would believe that.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"The masks were working. Flight equipment is checked regularly by licenced operatives. "

There was a theory posted on PPRuNe about a week ago by an engineer that quite neatly ticked off many of the elements mentioned above. Well worth a quick read. The original is

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-115.html#post8369554

And a later post referencing it discusses a theoretical fire:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-277.html#post8384756

1. Vic

There was a theory posted on PPRuNe about a week ago by an engineer that quite neatly ticked off many of the elements mentioned above. Well worth a quick read.

...But misses the most important one.

Suppose the O2 bottle were to break free, break all the equipment, and punch a hole in the fuselage in the way suggested. The pilots then have no O2 in a hypoxic environment.

Why did the plane fly to a set of waypoints that were neither in the flight plan nor were a divert? A human had to set those waypoints. This would be impossible if the pilots were not conscious.

Vic.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Why did the plane fly to a set of waypoints that were neither in the flight plan nor were a divert?"

To commentard it away, consider this:

Explosive decompression, loss of comms due to condensation, attempt to alter course for triangle distress course and loss of consciousness.

Autopilot resumes altitude, possibly due to incorrect action on the part of hypoxic flight crew and the rest is history.

The pilot suicide theory is a really big stretch, it involves seven hours of flying, that's pretty damned determined when the act could have been performed at any point in the flight and would've been easiest during takeoff.

Fire isn't so plausible, as flash fires are extremely rare and nearly impossible in a commercial aircraft, slower fires would give time to send a distress call.

Slow decompression should set off alarms, but alarms have been ignored in the past and resulted in disaster.

Rapid decompression would give around 8 seconds to get a mask on before severe impairment and eventual disability would occur.

Oh well, we'll have to wait for the aircraft to be found and the investigation to be concluded. Any way you slice it though, it's not a good thing for the families involved.

1. Mad Mike

@Wzrd1.

"Explosive decompression, loss of comms due to condensation, attempt to alter course for triangle distress course and loss of consciousness."

Explosive decompression enough to kill or severely disable the crew, but not bad enough to affect the airworthiness of the aircraft? Loss of comms due to condensation, but at least several electrical systems still working? Attempt to after course for triangle distress and loss of consciousness. So, rather than get the oxygen supply on (which would have given them some tens of minutes), they instead reprogram the flight computer and pass out? The above is a series of million to one possibilities. In total, vanishingly improbable.

"Autopilot resumes altitude, possibly due to incorrect action on the part of hypoxic flight crew and the rest is history."

The first thing they would do is get their oxygen masks on. This would remove the immediate hypoxia risk. So, again, what we know seems to rule this out.

"The pilot suicide theory is a really big stretch, it involves seven hours of flying, that's pretty damned determined when the act could have been performed at any point in the flight and would've been easiest during takeoff."

Not really at all. Firstly, there have been several proven cases of this in the past. So, it's a known thing. Also, don't forget that suicide might invalidate insurance policies. Also, you have cultural shame etc. The biggest thing against this is probably the fact that the pilot would have to kill or disable the other aircrew and passengers to ensure no message gets out. Moving from suicide to murder is a big step. Also, if the plane were destroyed, trying to prove suicide would be very difficult without radio trraffic, so why not crash as soon as possible?

As you say, we will have to wait for the investigation and if the wreck is found. The strangest thing for me though is the actions of the Malay authorities and other nations involved. It's all really odd. The Malays have also been proven to have lied and look as shifty as anyone I've ever seen. Why? It's really odd behaviour.

2. Vic

Autopilot resumes altitude, possibly due to incorrect action on the part of hypoxic flight crew and the rest is history.

No, that's bobbins.

If the automatic systems took over, that would take the aircraft to wherever the flight crew left it flying towards.

That could be :-

- The original destination

- The divert airfield

- A random position because they'd screwed up entering the divert (which is very unlikely)

The aircraft did none of these. Instead, it followed a route by way of three common waypoints that were nothing to do with either the original flight plan or any feasible divert. This means *for sure* that a human changed the planned flight for reasons unknown.

Vic.

2. an it guy

I think a few people here are posting without pilot's licenses. I've taken tests in a couple countries, and the same thing is the case. You learn to communicate without radios. Even ATC has a means to communicate without radios.

If went for a straight in approach to an airport without radios, you'd be assumed to be a maverick as well as a liability, but an ATC would clear the area for the nutter coming in, and prep the emergency department. They would try to communicate with you using light guns (not as fun as they sound). You can acknowledge these with a waggle of the wings.

Let's assume that this 'flotsam' is not the plane for a moment (last I checked it's not verified), but assume the comms/controls were stopped by a glitch.

SO, as the plane changed direction and flew for a while it was flyable, and at least under *stable* flight. that means it wasn't entirely damaged. If the systems were causing problems, a clever pilot might even assume that Rolls Royce (or others) were monitoring things, and use Morse code in the engine speeds to send a signal assuming it were impossible to alter the controls. It would probably log something in the black box as well.

Tedious, but doable, especially if you suspect the connections to the black box are severed. Doing that when over a country would make for some odd changes in altitude to say *something* was odd. We're not hearing much anything about this though.

The problem with this is that the information given out is piecemeal and handled badly. Other than that, I hope and pray some other explanation other than a crash is found. For the families of those on the plane at least. The rest of the misinformation peddlers can then wonder what to do in penitence (I hope).

3. bep

One possibility I haven't seen mentioned is a sudden emergency (fire, rapid decompression) that knocked out or disoriented one of the pilots but not the other. The remaining pilot would then have a lot on his plate and communicating might have not been a priority, especially if the other pilot was still awake but behaving erratically. In this scenario they could have violently disagreed on what action to take and both started doing things that hampered the other.

2. Stoneshop

For a considerable part of the early part of the flight post 'incident', mobile phones would have been in easy range of towers, yet no attempt was made to make any calls. Indeed, if I were flying in the plane, the severity of the initial turn back would have at least caused me concern and would have been obvious to those inside. So, again, why no mobile phone calls.

If I were a pilot with malicious intent, trying to alter course rather abruptly, I would try to cover it up by putting a message over the intercom that we're about to encounter some turbulence, please fasten your seatbelts, etcetera, then rock the plane while making the turn. No moon, it's dead of night, so not much for an average passenger to get a grip on what course they're flying

Also, bear in mind the debris spotted in the Indian Ocean is outside the 7hour flight time of the aircraft (it might have been carried by ocean currents) and is thought to be bobbing just under the surface. The largest part is also believed to be 24m long. If the aircraft entered an uncontrolled descent (say due to fuel running out) and hit the ocean, there is almost no chance of a 24m piece of debris being left. It would hit at high speed (600mph?) and would be utterly destroyed. At that speed, it would be the same as flying into concrete. So, could they have tried to land on the Ocean? Maybe, but why fly there and then try to do that? All in all, this doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't know how the autopilot (if it was engaged) would react to fuel running out. Would it try to keep the plane controllable, or try to keep altitude? If the latter, it would cause a stall as the airspeed dropped, then an uncontrolled dive and the plane probably already breaking up before it hit the water. But a shallow descent would leave the plane controllable (e.g. the Gimli Glider and British Airways flight 009) until it simply ran out of height.

If the pilot was still in control, and intent on trying to disappear without a trace, he might have tried to put the plane down as gently as possible and sinking it more or less intact. I can't see that happening in the southern Indian Ocean, but on the other hand, he probably counted on crashing in a place no-one would expect the plane to be, plus about as far from land as he could get to hamper any search attempts.

AF447 hit the drink at about 280km/h, and still some parts remained kind of intact and floating

1. Mad Mike

@Stoneshop

"AF447 hit the drink at about 280km/h, and still some parts remained kind of intact and floating"

Maybe. But, how big was the largest bit? Also, the photos show a lot of smaller flotsam around it. Single very large piece of wreckage and no flotsam visible? Not really credible.

1. Stoneshop

Re: @Mad Mike

Maybe. But, how big was the largest bit? Also, the photos show a lot of smaller flotsam around it. Single very large piece of wreckage and no flotsam visible? Not really credible.

That depends, as I've said already, on the way MH370 ended its flight: in a reasonably controlled manner, aka "water bird landing", or dropping uncontrollably from a high-altitude stall. AF447 did something inbetween. Of course that's just one factor in determining how damaging the crash would be; another would be the state of the sea surface. A pic of PanAm flight 6 ditching shows a Pacific that's pretty smooth, so it can happen, even out on the ocean. It would also be informative to know how large the largest floating pieces from ET961 were (no flaps, high-speed ditching in relatively calm water)

1. Mad Mike

Re: @Mad Mike

@Stoneshop

"That depends, as I've said already, on the way MH370 ended its flight: in a reasonably controlled manner, aka "water bird landing", or dropping uncontrollably from a high-altitude stall. AF447 did something inbetween. Of course that's just one factor in determining how damaging the crash would be; another would be the state of the sea surface. A pic of PanAm flight 6 ditching shows a Pacific that's pretty smooth, so it can happen, even out on the ocean. It would also be informative to know how large the largest floating pieces from ET961 were (no flaps, high-speed ditching in relatively calm water)"

PanAm Flight 6 was in 1956 and a totally different class of aircraft in every way and couldn't be used as any sort of comparative. If you've seen the Hudson River ditching, one of the biggest differences is obvious. Props are far better to ditch with than large turbofans hanging down under the wing. These cause all sorts of problems and can easily cause a plane to cartwheel unless the landing is perfect and in perfect conditions. One reason why the Hudson River incident ended well. A pretty damned perfect ditching in pretty perfect conditions.

I think it's also pretty safe to assume the sea surface would be anything but smooth. We're talking about the very south of the Indian Ocean and closer to Antarctica than Australia. The sea state is almost permanently poor around there and certainly has been poor whilst they've been searching. Just about anywhere on the planet would be better than there.

Also, note from the Hudson River incident the correct procedure to even stand a chance of coming out alive. You need to get the tail in and only lower the front at the last possible moment. This is because the engine will catch the water badly and cause the rear to lurch up suddenly, potentially causing a flip. The chances of getting a perfect landing without someone alive at the controls are almost zero and even with someone at the controls, they need to be very experienced and very lucky. Even the captain of that flight said luck had a large part in it.

All in all, it's pretty much clutching at straws. Everything is against it. They're taking a correlation (something in the water somewhere near where they might be looking) and extrapolating that to it being the plane. And as everyone knows, correlation does not equal causation or any form of connection at all. With something like 10,000 containers lost overboard each year, which is the most likely?

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"From the flightpath, it is known that the autopilot was reprogrammed..."

"The pilots are equipped with their own personal oxygen supplies..."

Do you mean like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

Off course, wearing oxygen masks, but still went down due to air crew oxygen starvation.

Personally, I'll await finding the aircraft and the subsequent investigation results. Anything else is simply guessing and uneducated guessing at that.

1. Mad Mike

@Wzrd1.

"Off course, wearing oxygen masks, but still went down due to air crew oxygen starvation."

Agreed. It can always happen, but is vanishingly rare. Also, note the complete difference to this case. Everyone died (or was incapacitated) of hypoxia very rapidly, but the flight control computer didn't get programed afterwards as happened for the recent case. So, it doesn't explain what we know of this case.

"Personally, I'll await finding the aircraft and the subsequent investigation results. Anything else is simply guessing and uneducated guessing at that."

Absolutely. But, I was simply replying to your own suggestion and showing why it didn't really fit the facts as known. We know that the event which caused them to turn around did not knock out the crew as the flight control computer was programed afterwards. So, we know this can't be the case. As to what it actually was......who knows. So, you were actually posting a suggestion (to which I replied) and not waiting for the investigation.

3. Vinyl-Junkie

Unfortunately it is likely that such pilots have existed in the past - look up Egypt AIr flight 990; SilkAir flight 185, Royal AIr Maroc Flight 360 and Japan AIrlines flight 350 for examples of (in some cases suspected) murder/suicide attempts by pilots.

2. Mark 85

This isn't supposed wreckage that Courtney Love claims she found, is it? I'm wondering if someone, somewhere took her seriously.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      1. Mark 85

The twit did a Twitter with a satellite image and some arrows using Paintshop. She claimed she "found" the airplane. Ok...maybe not "claimed" but pointed out it "could be".....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> This isn't supposed wreckage that Courtney Love claims she found, is it?

No, that turned out to be a mirror.

3. Pavlov's obedient mutt

what happens

when a 777 runs out of fuel and it's still on AP

will it glide in an ever steepening dive or will the AP attempt to keep it level to the point that it stalls?

Hope the families somehow get some relief / closure from this discovery

1. Charles 9

Re: what happens

Probably what happened to Helios Airways Flight 522. Once the engines lose power, it will continue to glide for a short period until airspeed falls below the minimum needed for gliding, at which point it will probably start losing altitude faster and faster until impact.

2. An0n C0w4rd

Re: what happens

Probably depends on what mode the autopilot was in. There are multiple modes, and altitude hold may not have been engaged.

4. NorthernCoder
    Boffin

Water depth

Does anyone know what the water depth is in that area?

1. Carl W

Re: Water depth

News this morning was saying 3-5km deep

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoever was at the controls hoped they'd create a lasting mystery, but forgot about the pings to the satellite

Holmes

So you think it was the guy with the X-Files Collector's Edition in his personal library wot done it?

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"Whoever was at the controls hoped they'd create a lasting mystery"

Possible, even as part of a suicide. Suicide might trigger a non payment clause in an insurance policy. Or just bring shame down upon the family. So fly somewhere you think they won't look and if they do find wreckage, fly long enough so the cockpit voice recorder overwrites the initial cockpit takeover.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Chris Miller

The tail of the A330 floated because it's constructed from carbon fibre. The tail of the B777 is of similar construction, but is 'only' 60 feet in height, which might not be consistent with the estimated size of this object. I think parts of the flooring in a 777 are also carbon fibre.

1. Mad Mike

@Chris Miller.

"but is 'only' 60 feet in height"

No, the 77 tail is considerably shorter than this. The top is roughly 60ft off the ground when standing, but of course, the bottom part of this is air under the tail!! So, the actual tail itself is considerably smaller as an object. You can't count the air underneath!! So, if the debris is 24m in size, the tail is nowhere near big enough (even allowing for measuring error) to be it.

8. ADJB
    Black Helicopters

Pilots disable passengers and crew with knockout gas.

Pilots, knowing about and by now having purloined uber expensive cargo, bail out having set auto pilot to send plane to the most remote place possible.

Pilots quietly disappear and live life of luxury.

Now was that a conspiracy theory I heard or just a film / TV script I half remember. Maybe it was just a repeat of the D B Cooper episode.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is the biggest problem with this story. If it was suicide or hijacking, why did they end up in the middle of the ocean so far away. Such events usually co0incide with close proximity to cities or early/late in the planned route. Else with Hijacking to known landing areas. Neither happened in this instance, thus it's less likely than we would normally expect.

1. Vic

If it was suicide or hijacking, why did they end up in the middle of the ocean so far away.

We don't know that they did; this is simply a *possible* sighting of something that could *possibly* have been aircraft debris in a location that MH370 could *possibly* have gotten to. And the first aircraft on-site has failed to find anything anyway.

I'm actually rather surprised they're looking down to the South; the aircraft was clearly working its way North-East before radar contact was lost. But then there is clearly quite a bit going on that we don't know about - for example, the NTSB tracks are somewhat detailed considering the paucity of data that's been released...

Vic.

1. Mad Mike

"for example, the NTSB tracks are somewhat detailed considering the paucity of data that's been released..."

Indeed so. We seem to have to extract the information from the various bodies rather than it being given. I get the distinct impression they know a lot more than they're saying. As I said earlier, the Malaysian minister etc. all look as shifty as you can get. They always seem to be saying as little as possible.

Then, you have the whole Malaysian peninsula crossing episode. The Malaysians were denying it, whilst the Americans were saying it happened (and were search to the west) only for it finally to be released that the Malaysians own radar provided the evidence!! At point, they were clearly lying or at best, hiding the knowledge. Why?

It all smells really bad.

2. Vic

Bah.

> the aircraft was clearly working its way North-East

North-West, of course. Sorry.

Vic.

2. P_0

Pilots, knowing about and by now having purloined uber expensive cargo, bail out having set auto pilot to send plane to the most remote place possible.

What expensive cargo? The mangosteens? And how would the get away with the cargo if they bailed out of the plane?

3. Scott Wheeler

Except that following DB Cooper, the planes have been designed to prevent parachuting out of them.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

"Bond is sent by M to a clinic to improve his health. While massaged by physiotherapist Patricia Fearing, he notices Count Lippe, a suspicious man with a criminal tattoo (from a Tong). He searches Lippe's room, but is seen leaving by Lippe's clinic neighbour who is bandaged after plastic surgery. Lippe tries to murder Bond with a spinal traction machine, but is foiled by Fearing, whom Bond then seduces. Bond finds a dead bandaged man, François Derval. Derval was a French NATO pilot deployed to fly aboard an Avro Vulcan loaded with two atomic bombs for a training mission. He had been murdered by Angelo, a SPECTRE henchman surgically altered to match his appearance.

Angelo takes Derval's place on the flight, sabotaging the plane and sinking it near the Bahamas. He is then killed by Emilio Largo (SPECTRE No. 2) for trying to extort more money than offered to him. Largo and his henchmen retrieve the stolen atomic bombs from the seabed. All double-0 agents are called to Whitehall and en route, Lippe chases Bond. Lippe is killed by SPECTRE agent Fiona Volpe for failing to foresee Angelo's greed. SPECTRE demands £100 million in white flawless uncut diamonds from NATO in exchange for returning the bombs. If their demands are not met, SPECTRE will destroy a major city in the United States or the United Kingdom. At the meeting, Bond recognises Derval from a photograph. Since Derval's sister, Domino, is in Nassau, Bond asks M to send him there, where he discovers Domino is Largo's mistress."

Yep, I think this must be how it happened.

9. MartinBZM
    Facepalm

Oh dear ...

I guess I'll have to order my Secret Ocean Lair on a Moveable Island (tm) to relocate quickly before the search planes arrive in the area.

Deploy the Sharks with the Frikkin' Lazors!

TTFN

10. Christopher Lane

BUT...

...why was the last ACARS transmission 12 minutes BEFORE the good night call to Malaysian ATC? If it were a fire or something equally catastrophic (which took out the required circuitry) the cockpit would have full of warning klaxons, lights, bells, whistles and all, way before twelve minutes. The fire theory doesn't work. The oxygen mask worn by pilots are air tight via inflated seals and take in the region of two seconds to put on, even if you wear glasses too. Also all Boeings (I think) have wheel well fire detection system and brake temperature monitoring (unlike flight Nigeria Airways Flight 2120 in 1991, a DC-8, all 261 souls lost), none that I know have fire suppression. The pilots would have know very quickly of fire and had the opportunity to lower the gear to "cool their heels" so to speak.

1. Vic

Re: BUT...

why was the last ACARS transmission 12 minutes BEFORE the good night call to Malaysian ATC?

ACARS is generally scheduled. I don't know if the system would autonomously create more reports in the event if something going wrong - but the pilot has a button to push to create a new report on demand.

The fire theory doesn't work.

Not for me, it doesn't.

Also all Boeings (I think) have wheel well fire detection system and brake temperature monitoring

Not all 777s have nosewheel well fire monitorig - I've been reading the FCOM for some Qatar Airways aircraft, and they only have mainwheel well fire monitoring. I've no idea if MH370 had anything in the nosewheel well, but as I've said numerous times, even if there were a serious fire there that managed to incapacitate both pilots somehow, something would already have had to happen for the change of flightpath; this wasn't a simple divert (the FD would have taken the aircraft straight to the alternate).

Vic.

2. An0n C0w4rd

I don't buy the fire theory either. If the autopilot was reprogrammed to go back to the beacon of an airport, it would have just kept circling over the beacon waiting for more instructions, not head off on some random course.

Also, if there *was* a or some other event that caused the pilots to don their oxygen masks the first thing you do is descend rapidly to a point where you can breathe unassisted because the pilots know those masks don't last long and hypoxia will guarantee the death of everyone on board.

ACARS, the transponder and voice radio are all different systems. I find it difficult to explain why they were all knocked out

I also laugh at the front page of a British bird cage lining manufacturer which stated that the planes systems were hacked remotely. Uh. Sorry, but a 777s flight controls are not computer assisted (unlike Airbus) which means that explanation is about as likely as truth from a politician.

1. Vic

Uh. Sorry, but a 777s flight controls are not computer assisted

Some most certainly are. I cannot tell you if all of them are. From the FCOM:

In the normal mode during manual flight, the ACEs receive pilot control inputs and send these signals to the three PFCs. The PFCs verify these signals and information from other airplane systems in order to compute control surface commands.

"ACE" is Actuator Control Electronics

"PFC" is Primary Flight Computer

that explanation is about as likely as truth from a politician.

Yup.

Vic.

1. An0n C0w4rd

@vic

You're right, sorry, there are computer assists on the 777, but from memory there is a big button on the control column that overrides those computers. The Boeing mentality is that "computers can be mistaken, people should always be able to override them". So unless the hackers rewrote the proprietary control systems to disable that feature, there is no way to control the plane from the ground like that.

1. Vic

there are computer assists on the 777, but from memory there is a big button on the control column that overrides those computers.

Yes. There's a switch in the overhead panel to disconnect the PFCs.

there is no way to control the plane from the ground like that.

Of course there isn't. But people love to make up "theories"...

Vic.

Facepalm

there is no way to control the plane from the ground like that

I thought that meme died the death of utter idiocy after 9/11. Instead, it is still around.

3. AJames

The ACARS on MH370 only transmitted data every 30 minutes. Somebody misunderstood that initially and started the whole "suspiciously disabled before the last radio transmission" theory. Malaysian authorities later realized the mistake and retracted the whole thing, but the damage was done. It lingers in people's minds that there was something suspicious about how the onboard systems were turned off that confirms it was an intentional disappearance.

11. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

To summarise

We still do not know.

Frustrating for us commentards, but agonizing for the relatives of those on board. Fingers crossed for more information. The sooner the better.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One thing I wonder about the search using sat imagery: There's that company that set up the thing where everyone can look through their photos and tag potential objects, which suggests that there isn't an automated way to do it. But this seems like the kind of problem that would be ideal for image processing to go after.

And the article here says that there was 'analysis', which suggests the computery kind. Anyone know if there are systems set up to use standard image processing stuff to help? Eg, you have a photo of area M before and area N after; anything that changes is of interest. There are caveats like cloudcover, lighting changes, maybe others due to the way the stitching is done or things I don't know about... but it seems like there ought to be potential there.

Headmaster

Pretty sure there are. IIRC, in Yurop alone, subsidies are allocated depending on what is being grown, which is checked by you-guessed-what. All the tech for all the wrong things. On the other hand, we can analyze and map the whole surface of nearby planets within weeks. This isn't being done manually.

Anyway, I had a course on this back when Bush made Kuwait safe for the Emir again, back when computers were slow and 16 MByte counted for something.

2. Fink-Nottle

> I don't know about... but it seems like there ought to be potential there

I've had a go at the Tomnod web search and it's edifying to see the problem first hand. In addition to the waves themselves, there is a surprising number of breakers and loads of foam from breaking waves visible in the images. Unfortunately these features are at the same scale as the wreckage / life rafts.

These ephemeral features mean the best approach would be to compare fairly short time difference images and look for features that haven't changed. Obviously, collecting almost identical data on the off-chance it will be useful in a search would not be a very cost effective use of satellite imaging gear. Therefore, I'd imagine that rules out purely visual sea searches by satellite.

As far as i know, the 'analysis' carried out in this case was simply matching a visual image to a radar signal.

3. AJames

There are a lot of limitations to satellite surveillance that you wouldn't necessarily be aware of. The satellites follow a polar orbit that only brings them over a given point on the earth's surface every few days typically. There aren't ground stations everywhere to receive a real-time downlink, recorders are limited and unreliable, and orbital relay systems not available in most cases. There's a hard bandwidth limit that means you can have detail or broad coverage, but not both. There's a limited power budget which means the satellite may not be able to transmit all the time. That's especially true for Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites, and the Australian images are clearly SAR (probably Radarsat). Considerable post-processing is required for SAR, so you aren't going to get images right away - hence the delay of days on the Australian images.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The satellites follow a polar orbit that only brings them over a given point on the earth's surface every few days typically. There aren't ground stations everywhere to receive a real-time downlink, recorders are limited and unreliable, and orbital relay systems not available in most cases... you can have detail or broad coverage, but not both. There's a limited power budget which means the satellite may not be able to transmit all the time... Considerable post-processing is required for SAR..."

Don't come to me with problems! I only want positive people on my team! I don't want you back in this office until you've got solutions! Here, take this - I read it in college, and it sounds to me like you need to learn how to be a TEAM PLAYER!" *hands over book called "How To Say Anything And Mean Nothing: Secrets Of Management Revealed"*

Oops, sorry. Was channeling an executive there for a minute. ;)

In all seriousness, OK, yeah, that explains a lot of it. And this obviously isn't an issue terribly often, obviously, so... basically we need more damn bandwidth already so we can spend it on this kind of stuff! And a lot more satellites. And... well, yeah, things. We need things.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe

If in fact this is MH370 debris it's possible the pilot just flew it until it was out of fuel and then crashed into the sea.

Headmaster

Re: Maybe

I don't know what to think of this exhibit of millenial brain power.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Re: Maybe

You can tell how old the OP is from just that? I don't know what to think of this exhibit of middle-aged brain power.

14. Cardinal

Decompression?

Saw an item on RT or Al Jazeera about a week or so ago, suggesting that the plane had suffered a decompression for some reason, and that the pilot(s) had been attempting to wind the autopilot around to the reciprocal heading in order to return to KL, but had passed out before completing the task.

Possibly only one pilot was in the cockpit at the time?.

Could a pilot regain entry to the anti-hijack cockpit these days if the crew inside were unconscious? This would of course presume that for some reason the cockpit crew had not donned their masks, OR that the oxygen gear was faulty - (perhaps JUST the cockpit oxygen?)

It sounded a more plausible explanation than any other I've heard, though I've not heard of it being advanced since that programme was aired.

1. Vic

Re: Decompression?

Saw an item on RT or Al Jazeera about a week or so ago, suggesting that the plane had suffered a decompression for some reason, and that the pilot(s) had been attempting to wind the autopilot around to the reciprocal heading in order to return to KL, but had passed out before completing the task.

That theory is wrong.

777s don't have a "follow this heading" control, they have a database of waypoints and airfields in the Flight Director. The pilot selects where he wants to go, and the plane goes there. They also have neat toys in the FD such as a "divert" mode, where the unit scans its database for the nearest airfield that can handle the aircraft in its current state. So to do the divert, you select the "Alternate" page, hit "Divert", then hit "Accept". The plane takes you to your emergency airfield.

What actually happened is that the aircraft flew through several waypoints, none of which were divert airfields.

Could a pilot regain entry to the anti-hijack cockpit these days if the crew inside were unconscious?

That depends on what state the flight crew had left the door in.

The standard mode has the door locked, but can be opened from the outside by keying in the right code (3 to 8 digits). Each attempt is annunciated inside the cockpit.

The pilot also has a control on the centre console which allows him to open the door, or to reject further attempts to get in for a period of time.

Additionally, the door has deadbolts, which prevent it opening under any circumstances.

Vic.

1. Cardinal

Hmmmm.....

Well.......

Maybe the airline got the budget 777 from 'WeBuyAnyPlane.com perhaps?

Bet it's rattled their customers a bit though. I remember passing through Anchorage airport just after that KAL plane got shot down years ago. The place was buzzing with passengers, except for a distinct empty space around the hopefully smiling girl on the KAL desk!

It WAS Anchorage that used to have that huge stuffed bear in the concourse wasn't it?

Interesting info Vic.

That's 'El Reg' though eh? No matter what the topic - Bitcoins, Boeings or whatever - somebody always seems to pop up who has a handle on it!

1. sam bo

"That's 'El Reg' though eh? No matter what the topic - Bitcoins, Boeings or whatever - somebody always seems to pop up who has a handle on it!"

Exactly right ! It also makes a nice change from pathetic bickering you see on some other forums.

If you don't know anything when you start reading, you certainly do when you have finished.

Have an upvote all contributors.

15. Rick Brasche

people are trying so hard to eliminate the tried-and-true fact that there ARE actually crazy/evil people out there in the world, that do real bad things for no logical reason that the rest of the world can understand.

All these special theories of fires that somehow overwhelm absolutely everyone in seconds after the pilot has made a deliberate course correction, while simultaneously shutting down almost all telemetry from the aircraft, and activating absolutely no indicator or sensor prior to this 3-5 second window stretch things a lot harder than repeated proven historical precedent of deadly acts by insane individuals.

It's a huge world out there, and for those who disparage religion, it's important to remember that also means the world is not somehow required to make sense. Bad sh*t happens, at random. To believe there is always a "reason" other than this, is to actually be participating in the same "crutch" that the religious depend on.

1. Philip Lewis

"people are trying so hard to eliminate the tried-and-true fact that there ARE actually crazy/evil people out there in the world, that do real bad things for no logical reason that the rest of the world can understand."

or as a Alfred said to Bruce

"some men, just want to watch the world burn"

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone seen Tom Cruise recently , or possibly Dougray Scott on a TC mask

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like