back to article USB cuts the cord, again, with WiGig-derived wireless spec

The Universal Serial Bus (USB) Implementors Forum has announced that development is under way on a new “Media Agnostic (MA) USB specification. MA-USB removes the need for USB devices to connect by wire. Instead, they'll use WiGi, WiFi or maybe even UWB to swap data with whatever other systems they connect to. The choice of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. P. Lee
    Coat

802.11ac anyone?

2. James 51

I can't help but think this needs wireless charging (and preferably the move around the room kind, not leave it on a charge plate kind) before this would catch on in a big way.

1. Robert Grant

What about in the interim, a charge plate that extends out of a laptop where the optical media drive used to go?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> What about in the interim, a charge plate that extends out of a laptop where the optical media drive used to go?

—Bollocks, where's me phone?

—You left it charging in the PC.

—On the PC?

—No, in the PC.

3. John 110
    Joke

"Instead, they'll use WiGi, WiFi or maybe even UWB "

or psychic powers? Superheroes shouldn't be left out! (or they go off....)

4. Ed 13
    FAIL

Oh no, not again...

What exactly does this give us that WiFi and/or Bluetooth doesn't, both of which are established technologies, which can be implemented, with antenna, in about the area of a thumbnail?

On the plus side, perhaps someone will want the USB-UWB test gear I have here!

Obligatory xkcd cartoon: http://xkcd.com/927

1. Shades

Re: Oh no, not again...

Without looking I'm going to guess that XKCD is the "Now theres 15 competing standards" one?

5. bob, mon!
    Devil

"(assuming the latter still exist after 2015)"

They won't --- all the currently existing PC kit will turn into pumpkins at midnight, 2015-12-31, per the fine print in the Windows EULA.

1. James O'Brien
      Joke

Re: "(assuming the latter still exist after 2015)"

Dont forget about them draining your bank account before they run off to frolic in the fields with the other pumpkins.

This topic is closed for new posts.