back to article Pegatron goes on hiring spree as iPhone 6 release date approaches

Taiwanese tech outfit Pegatron is reportedly preparing to open a new factory in China to build the iPhone 6. The new factory is said to be opening on the outskirts of Shanghai, according to Reuters. Foxconn – aka Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. – is also likely to start building the new iPhone, although it is not known which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Sadly for Apple, fanbois seem to prefer the high-end 5S

Such a shame for Apple people want to pay even more...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sadly for Apple, fanbois seem to prefer the high-end 5S

Probably had something to do with the 5C being the same phone as the 5 with just a different case. Not much of a reason to upgrade.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They just can't bring themselves to release a cheaper phone which will attract lower review scores.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, they can't bring themselves to release a cheaper phone which will attract lower profit.

Given that the dislike of the 5C has translated into more 5S sales rather than lost sales for Apple, that seems to be the right strategy. Maybe the iPhone 6C will have a case covered in porcupine quills, to further depress its sales and push even more people toward the 6S :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile in America

Shotgun, Dribble and Bastard are hiring another 500 lawyers for the next round of the bitch fight with Samsung.

1. 7-zark-7

Re: Meanwhile in America

+1 for the Bottom reference.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd say it's hardly sad for Apple if people actually want to buy their higher end / more expensive phone when the rest of the market are racing to zero or negative profits (except Samsung - for now at least).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except the Samsung Galaxy 5 isn't a cheap phone and it's made of plastic. The S4 was released as a 16GB phone, tiny memory capacity for a phone in 2013, especially with only around 9GB free.

4. Steve Todd

Time for a quick bit of math

Apple are currently shifting about 50 million iPhones per quarter.

If we assume that only 1 in 5 of those sales are of the 5c (which is likely overly pessimistic), that's 10 million per quarter. That makes 3 million equivalent to about 1 month's supply, or about what they should have in transit or in channel stock at any given time. I doubt that this is overstock at all.

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Unhappy

Worrying.

"Apple experts recently ruled that Pegatron was not responsible for the death of an underage factory worker."

Really? And since when did Apple become the arbiter of global human working conditions? I guess it's only a cheap Asian worker though so who cares eh? No doubt if Apple found them all living up to their eyeballs in shit it would also be ok right, because Apple says so?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Worrying.

I remember reading in a Chinese Paper that the worker in question had lied about their age and had forged papers to back up their story. If that is the case then it is hardly the fault of Pegatron or Apple that the employee took their own life simply because they were under age.

This is very common out here in the what is left of the Middle Kingdom. Recruitment agencies scour the countryside looking for recruits for the 1001001 companies hiring in places like Shanghai, Guanzou etc. If they don't get their numbers then they get the sack so it is inevitable that 'lies' and 'false papers' will be supplied in a lot of cases.

6. Jim McCafferty

What in disguise?

An Evil Pegasus Transformer - Michael Bay are you listening?

Sorry... just desecrated a very highbrow tech article.. but its 17:10 and we're out of coffee.

7. Frank N. Stein

Apple may not hold Pegatron responsible for an underaged employee's "death", but did they hold Pegatron responsible for hiring an underaged employee in the first place? Obviously not. After all, filling the company's bank accounts with money is their priority, isn't it? Hiring underaged workers at factories that produce the fruit flavored toys clearly isn't important to Apple.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple aren't experts

If you read the actual report they received independent medical reports from experts from both the US and China. He'd only recently joined and his working conditions contributed in no way to his death (from pneumonia).

The kid was hired using his cousins id which said he was 21. Perhaps they should have checked further but then I imagine its probably not that hard to get a factory job in the UK using someone elses id just as easily assuming you look a bit like them which since he was family probably did.

I know it seems fun to blame Apple for everything but in this case if you read the actual facts of the story I fail to see exactly what they are to blame for in this instance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like