back to article China's annual TV smear segment drags Nikon's name through the mud

Nikon is braced for weeks of fun after it was targeted by Chinese state broadcaster CCTV in an annual consumer complaints show which last year forced a grovelling apology from Apple. The investigative program “3.15” broadcast a special edition last Saturday to coincide with World Consumer Rights Day, however it’s often used to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 85

China and ethics??

Probably the major country for product piracy and not just electronics and they are indignant? And the pirated stuff is less than shoddy. Oh.. wait.. it's only once a year. Never mind.

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: China and ethics??

"Probably the major country for product piracy"

@Mark85; It's not like pirates haven't had problems with black spots either- just ask Long John Silver.

1. Ted Treen
        Coat

Re: China and ethics??

Long John Silver gave The Black Spot to Blind Pew...

Who wasn't aware of its colour...

2. Oh Homer
    Facepalm

Apple branded “greedy” and “incomparably arrogant”

I'm shocked by this outrageously accurate statement.

Also, the black spot problem with Nikon cameras has been well known for years, so I'd say our Middle Kingdom friends are spot-on there too.

The strange thing about smearing is that it's only a false accusation if the accusation is actually, erm, false.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple branded “greedy” and “incomparably arrogant”

The page you linked to is titled "Nikon got Black Dots problem too", suggesting that the problem is more widespread.

2. Cornholio

Re: Apple branded “greedy” and “incomparably arrogant”

Nikon's 'black spots' were caused by bits of muck coming off the shutter and sticking to the sensor. They denied the problem for a long time, though to be fair they are fixing them now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting that China is forcing them to address this problem

Is the US or EU doing anything about it, or is it "buyer beware" in our hemisphere? China may be behind in some regards as far as freedom to browse the web unfettered, criticize their leadership, or keeping the environment clean, but looks like they're in front in at least some ways as far as consumer protection.

Funny how that works.

1. Bumpy Cat

Re: Interesting that China is forcing them to address this problem

Not even close, alas. China doesn't do consumer protection - this is just another tool to stoke up nationalist fervour. If you have a strong stomach, look up "gutter oil". Or read up on the baby milk melamine scandal, which caused a global shortage of baby milk powder as every parent in China rushed to buy stocks overseas.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting that China is forcing them to address this problem

Nikon have already fixed it in the Europe and US

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/26/nikon-to-offer-d600-shutter-replacement-to-address-dust-issue?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_4

4. John 110

aren't

Aren't Nikon cameras and lenses made in China anyway?

1. Vociferous

Re: aren't

No, of course not. Then this show would never have aired. They're made in Japan and in Thailand.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing like pointing to dirt in other peoples houses before cleaning up you own...?

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

@ Bumpy Cat

You've put me off of my chinese chips and curry sauce now with that "gutter oil" linky.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shock horror

Fascist government turns blind eye to own social problems while hitting out at foreigners. Whatever next?

1. Don Jefe
      Thumb Up

Re: Shock horror

Strange isn't it. You wouldn't expect it, but China's use of aggressive rabble-rousing techniques really highlight the similarities between them and Western governments. There's just so much more to gain if China and the West would consolidate their population distraction efforts.

The sheer numbers of people in China would more than offset the costs of collaborative disinformation campaigns for all involved. We'd be well into the sub-$20 annual costs per person! That would be, without a doubt, the best deal in the history of occulted bureaucracy.

Now that I'm thinking about it, we could segue off of such a collaborative effort and really cement our respective positions. I think the big money would be in employment swaps inside something like a free trade zone and everybody wins big. We can have the Daily Mail and Fox News identify and manage the export of our undesirables to China and China could do the same by sending their undesirable people to the West.

The key is going to be getting large Chinese contract manufacturers onboard. Their not going to want to pay European or US taxes, but the free trade zone should take care of that. If not, we can always subsidize effective taxation avoidance strategies by paying Apple, Google and other big names in IT to show the Chinese how to just steer clear of the tax minefields in the West.

8. Vociferous

So China is starting to produce SLR cameras.

Alternatively they just want to punish Japan for not handing over the Senkaku islands to China. Again.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic statement

"From today I will continue...to post on theregister."

10. Lazlo Woodbine

I thought Nikon had solved the dust on the D600 sensor problem by rush releasing the D610 in the hope that people forgot about the old model.

11. Don Jefe

Proud Tradition

I can't think of a single country with global trade reach that doesn't annually, or permanently, bash the output of other countries. Doing so is an indicator you're actually a recognized player on the world stage.

Like so many forms of shitty behavior, it's only 'bad' when someone else is doing it. But if the same behavior is coming from an internal source on 'your side' it's always 'wholly different and completely justified.

12. Adam 1

Irony cannot be lost on having your public broadcaster named CCTV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like