back to article Daring danger-drone dives into VOLCANIC eruption – what happens next has to be seen

One intrepid drone operator has provided a riveting argument for a private citizen's unfettered use of quadcopters: a video of a volcanic eruption, shot from above. Eruption of Yasur volcano on Tanna island, Vanuatu The eruption in question is courtesy of the Yasur volcano on Tanna island, Vanuatu, one of the world's most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

das lied von der erde

St. Helens in 1980 sounded nothing like that. It sounded like Vangelis.

1. Tom 7

Re: das lied von der erde

bloody shame - volcanoes make the most amazing soundtrack and they let the cat sleep on the PC with yoshimi running.

2. corestore

Good effort...

…but I got a lot closer to a lot more lava, also in Vanuatu. Marum volcano, no drones :)

https://vimeo.com/84947481

https://vimeo.com/84951902

;-)

1. Old Handle

Re: Good effort...

I donno, it looked to me like some of that flying lava passed within a foot or two.

1. corestore

Yeah within a foot or two of the drone, not of the operator!!

1. VinceH

So what you're saying is that you got closer to the lava than the drone's operator, rather than closer to it than the drone?

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

That's quite some zoom you've got there corestore ;-)

Yes the drone was definitely much closer to actual hot stuff, the ejecta zooming past the drone at around 0:29 is very close! Amazing video, and the drone was very lucky to survive.

1. corestore

It was all shot on Red Dragon 6K, Canon 28-300mm zoom… didn't need the length, but did need a 'shoot everything' lens; you do NOT want to change lenses in that toxic atmosphere!

More story here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?111475-Dragonfire-Extreme-Cinematography

3. WatAWorld

What is Error #2035 ?

What is Error #2035 ?

1. Bad Beaver

Re: What is Error #2035 ?

It's called "Cant haz Google request"

2. KjetilS

Re: What is Error #2035 ?

Try disabling HTTPS Everywhere. El Reg videos doesn't play nice with that addon, for some reason

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

Excellent pub bragging rights!

Bloody good job, that one. Must be one hell of a video to pull out on the phone at the pub.

"So what did you do at the weekend John"

"Oh, not much, did some gnarly downhill mountain biking, got a backflip because I'm hardcore. It was sweet"

"Nice. I flipped off the gods and made a film showing things no man was meant to see without dying in the sort of agony that only a freshly basted chicken can comprehend.

<plays video>

...Next weekend I'm going to punch out Cthulhu. I fancy a quiet one, you know"

5. Big-nosed Pengie

Very good

Providing you mute the sound.

6. xperroni
    Thumb Down

Kinda disappointed

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice video, but when I read "Daring danger drone dives into volcano" I was expecting something more along the lines of "last moments' footage of robotic plunge into fiery death". Then again, I guess "Daring danger drone hovers atop volcano" isn't nearly as catchy a headline.

7. Denarius
    Thumb Up

Are the local yoof

still annoying their elders in the John Frum cult by sandboarding down the volcano slopes leaving nice curves across the grey sand slopes ? Volcano was blowing big lumps into sky when I visited. One could see the lava elongating from rotation. Loud sound came from mere volcano, like a giant breathing slowly. No need for electronic noise. Pity I cant see video. Usual crappy 3G performance back to a data rate that would embarrass a 9.6KB modem. NBN, heard of it but don't believe in myths.

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Best use of a drone I have seen for a long time

Well done!

9. Justice
    Trollface

All it was missing...

...was a couple of Jedi beating the crap out of each other.

1. hplasm
      Flame

Re: All it was missing...

didn't you see the tiny, legless figure burning and waving his arm?

10. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Go

Is there anything a drone+GoPro can't do? http://youtu.be/H0Ib9SwC7EI

11. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Nice video

Shame about the headline.

12. RLWatkins

picked the wrong track

Didn't listen to the audio, but "Fistful of Silence" would have been a better soundtrack.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like