back to article Takeaway order spewer Just Eat plans to raise £100m in IPO

Online takeaway aggregator Just Eat is hoping to raise a hefty £100m from an initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange. The 13-year-old Danish firm connects hungry folks to local takeaway and delivery services in 13 countries, including the UK, France, Canada and Ireland and claims to have had revenue of £96.8m last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Rose
    Megaphone

MEEELLION!

Anybody else bored with the whole MEEELLION thing in the headlines?

1. TheVogon

Re: MEEELLION!

Not as good as Hungry House - for which a 20% off for St Patricks Day voucher can be found on HUKD...

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    WTF?

That looks as unappetising an investment...

As a kebab from this place.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7669625.stm

(Probably NSFW or people with weak stomachs, you have been warned)

1. TheVogon

Re: That looks as unappetising an investment...

I guess the Police arrived before he could get the employee on a Doner skewer....

3. Irongut

Holy Takeaway Batman, that's a lot of cash!

4. ad47uk

No British food

Just had a look to see what is around here and it all seems to be Pizzas, indian and other foreign food. I think I give it a miss.

1. Phil Endecott

Re: No British food

What could be more British than Indian food?

1. TheVogon

"What could be more British than Indian food?"

Fish and Chips, Fried Breakfasts, and Roast Dinners all spring to mind...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I bet you prefer chips and curry sauce ;-)

3. Lamont Cranston

Hard luck - there's a place in Luton that'll deliver roast dinners (and no, it's not Meals on Wheels).

4. Moosh

Sorry, but what on earth could you possibly expect from a takeaway? How many British takeaways do you know? Were you expecting to be able to order a full english breakfast to your house? A sunday roast coming in those little foil packages?

EDIT: While the above comment would seem to marginalize this one, I'd wager for every one of those takeaways there's 10 indians, 10 kebabs, 10 pizza places, 10 chinese, 10 thai, etc. etc.

Fish and chips is pretty much the only british takeaway there is (not counting bakeries and those little modern things in Landan), and even then the majority of them don't deliver to your door. That seems to be the major distinction between a pure kebab shop and a fish and chip shop that also sells Donner.

It's not really anyone's fault that traditional british food doesn't transfer particularly well to takeaway culture. Or that our food is really bland.

1. TheVogon

"Were you expecting to be able to order a full english breakfast to your house? A sunday roast coming in those little foil packages?"

Yep - you can order both of those round here. No problem.

5. Tom 7

Its gonna cost more to pay Just Eat than it will for the taxi.

Assuming they want to pay their shareholders anything.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Magnus Ramage

Unbelievably expensive

I don't order takeaways and haven't heard of the site, so I was curious. But it all feels really expensive. £9 for a very ordinary sounding pizza, delivered in not less than 45 minutes? In that time I can walk to the local convenience shop, buy a much better quality pizza for half the price and cook it. And I'll have considerably greater info on nutrition & food chains.

1. FunkyEric

Re: Unbelievably expensive

You are indeed fortunate to have a local convenience shop which sells better quality pizza within walking distance. I prefer to make sure I have an interesting supermarket one in the freezer which I consider makes a fine base for a damn fine pizza when enhanced with a selection of choice toppings from the fridge :-)

But If I am feeling extreeeeeeemly lazy then delivery is always a option, unusually a disappointing one admittedly.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Tom 38

Do you only get hungry when your convenience stores are open? Never been hungry after 5pm on a Sunday?

Plus, you aren't taking in to account that all the time that you are walking to the convenience store, shopping, walking home, making the dough, making the sauce and so on, I can be sitting on my arse watching TV.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Do you only get hungry when your convenience stores are open? Never been hungry after 5pm on a Sunday?"

That's what fridges, freezers, and store cupboards are for: you stock up in advance, then cook as and when you see fit.

1. Tom 38

That's what fridges, freezers, and store cupboards are for: you stock up in advance, then cook as and when you see fit.

What if you don't live in SmugGitopia?

3. Rimpel

@Magnus btw it's not just-eat's fault that all of your local takeaways are really expensive - there is no premium charged in the prices as they are the same as buying from the takeaway directly.

8. Lyndon Hills 1

13-year-old Danish firm

Lot of money for a cake maker.

9. DrXym

The places around here with that Just-eat sticker in their windows

Are the sorts of places you'd never ever want to order food from.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meal2Go

Were much better. So JustEat snaffled them, managed to lose all loyalty points and order histories in the process.

JustEats website is appalling. As many comments on their Facebook wall point out.

11. PaulR79

Useless service

I tried, and failed, a dozen times over a month period to get my card information to store so I didn't have to keep paying at the door. Not once did it work and their help was not very helpful at all. I gave up trying and that is my experience with them to date. I don't understand how it was such a big mess and wouldn't work at all.

12. Scott 62

my Just-Eat order history is depressing as fuck.

272 orders since late 2009, at an average of around a tenner a go...wow, my car isn't worth that much lol.

13. Lamont Cranston
    Thumb Up

On the small number of occassions that I've used them,

I've found it to be a handy service. I do worry that they're just leaching money away from independant businesses, but I do appreciate the convenience of not having to try to make myself understood over the phone (I've not the greatest diction, so getting the wrong order is not unknow).

14. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Alert

I'm forever...

Suddenly a number of so-so companies have decided to float. Are the chaps at Goldman Sachs dipping their clay pipe into the soapy solution again?

15. Rimpel

I've always used hungryhouse in preference to just-eat as you can search for restaurant and dish names, and also search within a menu whereas just-eat has no search facility at all. I don't use it often but it is a handy service.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like