back to article Barnes & Noble's Nook freed from Windows, WinPhone apps pledge

Barnes & Noble's struggling Nook e-book division can breathe a little easier, now that Microsoft has let the bookseller off the hook on its promise to offer e-reader apps for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Redmond pumped $300m into Nook back in 2012, in a deal that gave it a 17.5 per cent stake in B&N's underperforming e-book …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Raphael

resurrecting Microsoft Reader?

It wasn't a bad app, and infact still works just fine on my old iPaq 3630 when I fire it up. That's what originally got me sold on the idea that eBooks were definitely going to largely replace hardcopy books.

1. DrXym

Re: resurrecting Microsoft Reader?

Microsoft ran a free book promotion for a while and I built up a collection of e-books for MS Reader. I can't say I liked the reader software though. I only used the desktop version and it was so basic as to be frustrating. Someone released a tool called clit which de-DRM'd the books and I found it easier to decompress them and read them in a web browser.

2. Epobirs

MS Reader was a pioneering effort but it was released years ahead of suitable hardware. By the time some good device were appearing Microsoft had lost interest and failed to form the right partnerships to push the LIT format.

If Microsoft really wanted to have a serious influence on ebooks, they should make EPUB a native format for Word. Atlantis Word Processor does this and is worth the $35 for that reason if you have the need but Atlantis has some serious deficiencies of which the lack of tables is the most crippling for many kinds of projects.

If Barnes & Noble had been smarter about the problems on the development side, they would have pumped some money into Sigil, which is a great tool for formatting EPUB files but needs a lot of man hours put into it to make it a really professional tool.

1. Julian Smart

Tables

FYI Jutoh does tables :-)

2. launcap Silver badge
      Stop

"MS Reader was a pioneering effort but it was released years ahead of suitable hardware. By the time some good device were appearing Microsoft had lost interest and failed to form the right partnerships to push the LIT format."

Pioneering? Hardly. fbreader was around a good bit before MS Reader and could also be used as an offline web-reader..

I remember it well on my Nokia 770 tablet.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Windows

Another MS "joint development project."

Translation.

"We've bagged a copy of the code and are ready to start the cut'n'paste to get out version out the door ASAP."

Funny how that works.

4. Bernardo Sviso

sniff, sniff

Does anybody else smell an odor rather reminiscent of an incipient DRM scheme?

Or is it just my imagination?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: sniff, sniff

How about brand name "Fahrenheit" for the new Microsoft reader? As in 451 (as in not accurate, but never mind).

5. kitekrazy

P Young

Maybe they will find a way to ruin it like W8.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like