back to article Will Yelp help 'Yahoo!' compete with Google? Search us...

Yahoo! has hooked up with Yelp in a deal that will see the world's third favourite rummage engine add local listings to its search results. The purple palace described the hook-up as a "five star partnership" and said it was "thrilled" to be working with Yelp. "At Yahoo, we’re always looking to build great partnerships to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Will Yelp help 'Yahoo!' compete with Google? "

No. Yahoo is an old diseased horse that should have been made into finders beef pasties long ago.

1. gsl

World's 3rd favourite?

LInks to comscore's US rankings.

2. MJI Silver badge

Tinplate toy search engine second!!!!

TBH I thought Yahoo was still no. 2

1. gsl

Re: Tinplate toy search engine second!!!!

@MJI, yep globally, 3rd in the US market.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But the US is the world.

World series baseball (only US teams) etc prove it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yahoo serves up Bing's results. Why use Yahoo in that case?

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Hey,

Leave those wonderfully engineered toys out of this. some rare items are probably worth as much as the entire Yelp business.

Having a small collection of 1930's Bing 'O' gauge railway part, I never mix the two up because I always call the shoddy MS offering Bling instead.

Mint condition pre war (WW2) Bing and Bassett-Lowke (especially Gauge '1') are real collectors items these days. I sold a B-L Tinplate Midland Railway Carriage(thus making it pre 1922 vintage) for a very nice sum a few years ago.

3. Cubical Drone

This should really help me find places that are worthy of 1 or 5 stars.

4. Michael Habel

So who's second? I don't think anyone has to ask for the First place Winner. As its Google as any fule know...

1. gsl

@ Michael H Globally most reports say Google, Yahoo, Baidu in that order El Reg linked to the July '13 US ranking of Google, Bing, YAhoo.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bing gained a lot by being the back-end for the dreadful ask.com. Actual bing.com referrals to my sites are insignificant. A shame, because bing's ads seem to have more accurate targetting.

I get more hits from the Baidu spider than actual referrals from it (of course, my sites aren't in Chinese).

1. Tyson Key

Searchception

Hmm, so Bing-flavoured Yahoo! powers the search tech behind Ask, in some sort of unholy three-way tryst?

Why don't they just become an Open Source foundation/consortium that produces third-rate search technology, and licenses it out to anyone who cares? Or sell out to someone like Lycos?

5. Sean Kennedy

Yelp ain't a bed of roses either

Folks have already spoken of the merits of Yahoo, so let me take a moment to talk about yelp.

Ostensibly they are a reputation service. Unfortunately, they work in much the same way as dating websites; they have every interest in hooking businesses for fees in order to "manage their reputations". I've worked with several businesses in this area, and have seen first hand how you get shill reviewers posting objectively false negative reviews, and the only way to correct it is to buy the expensive services from yelp, or to try to get your own customers to post positive reviews in order to offset the negative.

Now, I don't know if these are just individuals out to troll local businesses or there is something more nefarious going on, but ultimately it doesn't matter. When your business model relies on trolls, your entire company premise is ethically and morally flawed.

1. Tom 35

Re: Yelp ain't a bed of roses either

It works the other way too. A crap business can pay the fees to get rid of real reviews and push up the fake good reviews.

An OK burger place near me got bought by an idiot (who deep fried frozen burger patties, crispy on the outside, still frozen in the center) and right up until he was closed by city health had great reviews, and any bad reviews vanished.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That sounds a lot like the Windows store.

3. Barry Rueger

As we speak Yelp is blitzing our business phone each day trying to sell us... well, I don't know what because I never answer calls from 1-888, can't be bothered to listen past the first ten words of their voice mails, and I sure aren't about to waste time phoning them back.

I'm honestly not sure that anyone really uses Yelp for anything. We've never seen a referral from them.

Then again I stopped paying them any attention when I discovered that a glowing review from one of our clients had been spam filtered by them, with no notification, and no apparent way to appeal the move.

That's the kind of crap practices that makes me lose all interest in a company.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A fair few of the negative local reviews are from folks who have a fave store X. Example locally there are a lot of chip shops. There are two which are highly rated (in my book) the rest are adequate. Looked up one online and it had about 4 really negative reviews 1 star worst food ever tasted etc. Searched for the reviewers (how could my fave chippy be considered shite?) and found they'd left negative reviews on a large number of chippys and then a 5 star review for one of the fairly average ones.

Long story short, people will happily downgrade other businesses to get their fave / local to look better. I call it the politician strategy, why make myself look good when I can make others look bad.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

... and file under "who cares?" along with the last 274 Yahoo/MS comedy press releases. As poster Numero Uno says, Yahoo are a long overdue candidate for the boneyard.

1. wowfood

Re: Yawn

They still have too much value to go into the boneyard. They've got to plummet the value as low as possible before google buy them, probably for a few minor services while they'll sell on the core service to somebody else.

7. launcap Silver badge
    Go

I have only one thing to say:

DuckDuckGo!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have only one thing to say:

Startpage

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like