back to article New fear: Worm that ransacked US military PCs was blueprint for spies' super-malware

A mystery worm that burrowed into US military computers to steal secrets six years ago may have inspired the development of subsequent government-grade malware Red October, Turla, Flame and Gauss. Researchers at Kaspersky Lab reached this conclusion after finding similarities between Agent.btz – the worm that attacked in 2008 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G

Bluff, Double bluff, Counter Bluff

"This doesn't mean there's a direct link between Agent.btz's makers and the developers of subsequent cyber-espionage tools, however."

It also doesn't mean there isn't a direct link.....

'Hmm I'd like funding to start a Cyber Crime Division, now what could I do to stimulate interest in such a thing?'

1. Mark 85

Re: Bluff, Double bluff, Counter Bluff

Which in some ways reminds me of the way certain AV companies got their start.... 'oh, look what we found and none of the old companies found it.".

2. Ole Juul

Yes, news is another vector for viral dissemination resulting in profit.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except for a few small facts missed in the story.

Agent.BTZ was a PRC written and distributed worm.

So, it's known that Russia, the PRC, Israel and the US have malware.

Come to think of it, who *doesn't* have malware spying for them and who *isn't* sniffing every little bit of traffic that they can?

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Bluff, Double bluff, Counter Bluff .... and AIPerfect Openings

"This doesn't mean there's a direct link between Agent.btz's makers and the developers of subsequent cyber-espionage tools, however."

It also doesn't mean there isn't a direct link.....

'Hmm I'd like funding to start a Cyber Crime Division, now what could I do to stimulate interest in such a thing?' .... Chris G

Share freely and wwwidely highly sensitive and disruptive information and intelligence on MetadataBase Phormations which Create and Exploit and Profit Obscenely from Unpatchable 0day Vulnerabilities ....... with Hit and Run Attacks on Shallow Hallowed Ground Sites and in Insecure Virtual Safe Havens, an Additional Source of Wealth Stream ..... would probably also stimulate blind headless chicken panic, Chris G, which makes for it being an interestingly rewarded choice for Private and Pirate Proprietary Intellectual Property Share Activity .... with NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT Servers/SMARTR Virtual Machinery.

:-) As you can read, have you certainly twerked interest here and most probably maybe definitely in 5 Eyes elsewhere, ...... http://cryptome.org/2014/03/nsa-5-eyes-hacking.pdf

1. Valeyard

I've missed your complete markov-algorithm-generated random sentences stringed together to form a larger nonsensical wall of crap, so i enjoyed this :D

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

No ! Don't encourage it ! It might actually become sentient at some point, and where would we be then ?

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

I've missed your complete markov-algorithm-generated random sentences stringed together to form a larger nonsensical wall of crap, so i enjoyed this :D ... Valeyard

You're a bit of a duffer and bluffer yourself, Valeyard, for that double negative of yours ....a larger nonsensical wall of crap could have some led some minors and miners to believe that you know the opposite to what you have posted, but you obviously don't, for if you did, you would never have wasted any time deriding the content rather than advancing it.

Although all bets are off with regard to that last sentiment and caveat if madness has any active part in its play.

Clearly do we play to and server different audiences and clients/bases.

1. Valeyard

i'm going to get this framed "The day i got a reply from amanfrommars1"

the last sentence is especially true.

big fan.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Bluff, Double bluff, Counter Bluff .... and AIPerfect Openings for the Superseded with Clones

There is no good reason at all for it not to be first of many replies, Valeyard, whenever we travel not dissimilar shared future paths.

Similar views shared are squared in impact rather than just simply doubled and add a few more with reinforcing thoughts and all of sudden, in a virtual instant, is there an exponentially powerful force against which there is no viable effective opposition or competition.

And that really fcuks up the the System and Establishment and Status Quo Power Elite Analogous Bodies.

2. pacman7de
    Joke

Attack of the cyber-espionage strains ..

"This virus has an artificial intelligence. It's a computer smart bomb. It easily camouflages itself in a system as big as ours."

3. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like