back to article Who DOESN'T want to play world's tallest game of Tetris – all 437ft of it

A bunch of academics hope to play the world's tallest game of Tetris next month – on the side of a Philadelphia high-rise. Drexel University computer science professor Frank Lee and his team will turn an array of LED panels on the outside of the 29-story Cira Centre into a display screen that'll be used to play the puzzle game …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Ok, but...

... will it have the attendant dancing figures?

(And willl pressing a button whilst they're dancing trigger a hook to drag them off? ;-) )

1. stucs201

Re: Ok, but...

There should also be a Cessna flying past...

2. stucs201

Nintendo classic?

Why does the article and sub-heading (at the time of writing, it may have been corrected by the time you read this) refer to it as a Nintendo classic? It was ported to Nintendo systems (along with pretty much everything else), but the Nintendo version wasn't the first, so why single it out?

3. RAMChYLD

Nintendo's classic?

I beg your pardon? Atari's was better, with two player mode, "co-op" gameplay (two players play the same board at the same time- great for some comedy) and even a versus computer and "co-op with computer" mode. And the music was much more recognizable to those who hangs out at the arcade a lot. Nintendo's may have made Korobeiniki the official song for Tetris, but Atari's was much better.

1. Stevie

Re: Nintendo's classic?

Um, the version my mate had for the NES was Arcade Perfect down to the music and whirling Russian dancers.

It was also one of the games that sparked the furor over the "Nintendo Seal of Approval" because the manufacturer (Atari, I believe) had simply slapped the sticker on the box in the naïve belief that Nintendo would not be able to muster the wherewithal to challenge them in American courts.

4. Edwin

Others have...

Yes... but Electrical Engineering students at the Delft University of Technology were probably the first in 1995 - long before MIT. There's some TV coverage (in Dutch) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNQqePk8Kg

5. akeane

Me

I don't want to play the world's most boring game whatever the form factor.

Why, oh why couldn't they have done Doom instead?

1. Crisp

Re: Me

Because the sudden appearance of a 437ft CyberDemon is likely to cause mass panic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Me

ASCII Doom FTW!

6. Stevie

Bah!

Do you remember when Guinness World Records involved getting out of your favorite TV chair?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like