back to article REVEALED: What you'll pay for VSAN software and hardware

VMware has officially shunted its VSAN virtual storage area network out the door at $2,495 per CPU. The company has also released VMware Virtual SAN for Desktop at $50 per desktop. You can buy one without the other, if you please. Virtzilla's Compatibility Guide also offers some insights into the cost of a server tricked out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K

plus four 1.6TB solid state disks

Are you sure this wasn't 4x400Gb SSD drives?

If not, these 1.6TB SSD's retail for £3000-£5000 each.. so $32000 (or about £19000) is actually not a bad price for that server.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Quite

VSAN requires a minimum of 3 servers to function, so the cost is really more like $90k...

1. K
      Thumb Up

Re: Not Quite

Made me snigger when I read this - The main argument for VSAN's was it could run on any (old) commodity hardware and it would be cheaper to deploy than hardware SANs. suddenly its not looking so appealing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can use existing hardware!

There are two ways of deploying VSAN

1. Bulild your own VSAN using existing og new hardware

VSAN supports ANY server on the vSphere 5.5 HCL list.

The only components requiring special VSAN certification is disk controllers, harddives, SSD's and PCIe flash devices.

2. Buy a VSAN Ready Node

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Even if you use your own existing servers, you still need 3 HCL compliant servers not just one as the article suggests.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this just for VSAN or will it run VMs as well?

As per the title of my comment, would you have the VSAN nodes doing *only* VSAN, or would you put VMs on it as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this just for VSAN or will it run VMs as well?

This is a hyperconverged cluster. The nodes with do both VSAN and VMs / VDI.

Latency and performance in a VDI scenario will be comparable to a all-flash-array for a fraction of the cost.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're already buying the hardware to run the workloads on. How is that any different. The only net new cost is the disks (meh) and the licenses. Far cheaper than other storage platforms I've seen.

1. Equals42

Do you think those CPUs in storage arrays are there just to help keep the HBAs cozy and warm? It takes compute power to run a real array and host IO directed at it and probably more so for a virtual array. There's no free lunch! You'll have to take your existing compute needs and then add the storage load onto that. You aren't going to be able to squeeze VSAN into an already fully loaded compute farm. You can try, but you'd better have your resume freshened up first or a forgiving manager with the Dell rep's number on speed dial.

6. Lusty

Comparing a system with a single shelf of disk to a mid size array for why exactly? This system is at best MSA2000 level which would likely cost less than just the vSAN licences. The point of this in my opinion isn't cost, it's hyperscale cloud.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like