back to article Brit and Yank data watchdogs ink deal to share case info

Britain's Information Commissioner's Office has inked a memorandum of understanding with bods at the US Federal Trade Commission to strengthen ties on probing outrageous online privacy howlers that happen across borders. The deal will allow the two regulatory bodies to share information on specific cases. Information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Britain's Information Commissioner's Office has inked a memorandum of understanding with bods at the US Federal Trade Commission to strengthen ties on probing outrageous online privacy howlers that happen across borders."

Good good. It's about time we tightened up on how our personal data is protected against being sent all over the world.

"The deal will allow the two regulatory bodies to share information on specific cases."

*facepalm*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cameron's Govt blocked upadtes to data protection as he wants to sell your private data, along with your NHS care.data.

3. Levente Szileszky

"Brit and Yank data watchdogs ink deal to share..."

...I'm confused: I thought GCHQ and NSA already have such a deal in place, for long years now...?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Colour me cynical, but ..

.. why do I have the feeling this will be pretty much a one-way affair?

5. JaitcH
    FAIL

USA Completely untrustworthy when it comes to data

Not withstanding we have the World Trade Organisation, the US loves doing regional (Pacific and Atlantic at this time) and bilateral agreements (think Blunket and extradition).

Look at NAFTA (Canada, Mexico, USA). Freely arrived at, driven primarily by the Americans. Then up comes Hardwood Shingles (for walls and roofing) and Softwood Lumber (Construction 2x4). Canada starts scoring big time, apparently our cold winters harden up the hard and softwood trees and produce a superior product AND it costs less because of the dollar differential.

USA applies unlawful surcharges, Canada goes to mediation and wins. USA then applies taxes in lieu of stumpage charges (replacement trees), Canada appeals and wins. After a third shafting by the USA Canada decides enough is enough and signs an amendment to NAFTA.

Mexican drivers can't bring their vehicles into the US, although NAFTA allows this to happen after 5 years. Another country screwed by the USA.

And here we are again, the old US divide and conquer routine, with a handy bilateral agreement between the UK and the US. Brits better get ready to bend over, Uncle Sams about to do it all over again.

P.S. I hold Canadian, UK and US citizenship, so don't go calling me anti-anything!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like