back to article Phisherman's friend: Confused hacktivists deface FAKE BANK SITE

Anon hackers have been caught boasting about defacing a counterfeit Yorkshire Bank website. Hacktivist crew Anon Ghost earned coverage on underground security blogs for defacing “Yorkshire Bank, one of the largest United Kingdom bank (sic)”. However, the hackers actually hit "ybs-bank.com", a Malaysian imitation of the real …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

"some of which rely on exploiting confusing about a bank's genuine online location" (sic)

Just saying, you can't put in a sic erat scriptum on the hackers imperfect English and then type bad English yourself.

1. AbelSoul

That rankled me too.

+1 for potentially productive pedantry.

2. Don Jefe

And another +1 for informing me that sic erat scriptum was a thing. I've seen 'sic' all my life and never knew there was more to it.

I thought maybe it was that Ed guy working under a contract without byline inclusion. Being dead will suck. Won't get to learn new things.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If there's something we say that doesn't make sense and don't really know why, good odds a.Roman was behind it. Bastards managed to conquer a language that wouldn't be spoken until a thousand years after the empire fell...

3. Cirdan
      Headmaster

Correcting corrections is always risk-laden.

"some of which rely on exploiting confusing about a bank's genuine online location" (sic)

Just saying, you can't put in a sic erat scriptum on the hackers [sic erat scriptum] imperfect English and then type bad English yourself.

Just saying, you can't put in a sic erat scriptum on the <bold>hacker's</bold> imperfect English and then type bad English yourself.

Or, alternately, hackers' if you think there exist more than one.

:-)

...Cirdan...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Or, alternately, hackers' if you think there exist more than one."

Now go look up "alternately" in a dictionary.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe Anon can be provide a useful servcie after all

If they start taking on spammers and botnets and phishing site and like, then this would be a very valued service to the rest of us.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Maybe Anon can be provide a useful servcie after all

Within a few hours, expect a "We... MEANT to do that...! Yeah...! That's the ticket! We MEANT to take those guys down! NOT the bank! The bank was NEVER our target... We were ALWAYS after the malware guys!" communiqué from the Anony-Mouse.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can't beat script kiddies for an unintentional laugh

Though its about time a new word other than "hacker" was used , since they're nothing more than online vandals using tools written by other people. They wouldn't recognise a proper hack if it slapped them around the face with a copy of the dummies guide to hacking.

1. bigtimehustler

Re: You can't beat script kiddies for an unintentional laugh

I agree, its a akin to calling someone who throws paint over someone's car to vandalise it an artist because they used paint.

1. Captain DaFt

'Hack' is such an overused word in the Press anyway.

You might say that "Hacks* hack** vandals as 'hackers'***, hacking**** at true hacker's***** reputation, because they can't hack****** proper journalism."

Now if you'll excuse me, I seem to be suddenly suffering a dry cough.

*Hack - A Hack is a colloquial and usually pejorative term used to refer to a writer who is paid to write low-quality, rushed articles or books "to order", often with a short deadline.

**Hack - Sudden noisy expulsion of air from lungs.

***Hacker - Common hack* press term used to describe someone who seeks and exploits weaknesses in a computer system or computer network.

****Hack - To cut, notch, slice, chop, or sever.

*****Hacker - One who combines excellence, playfulness, cleverness and exploration in performed activities.

******Hack - Slang sense of "cope with" (such as in can't hack it)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mika Hakkinen approves of your post.

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

There's just so much to laugh at here.

There's the fact that they did it. Then there's the much funnier fact that they bragged about it. But the biggest laugh is that when it boils down to it these berks consider themselves more tech savvy than the rest of us, but got conned by a half arsed phishing scam that was years out of date.

FAIL just isn't a big enough word. We need a new one.

5. VinceH

"The whole incident illustrates the difficulty banks face in identifying and seeking the takedown of counterfeit sites, some of which rely on exploiting confusing about a bank's genuine online location."

Sometimes there is "confusing" about a bank's genuine online location within the bank's own staff (or external marketing bods).

Take Natwest, for example.

A client company uses Natwest Bankline, and I also have access to it.

I usually log into it by visiting www.natwest.com, clicking on the "Business" tab, then on the link for Bankline. From the moment I click on the "Business" tab I am on the subdomain www.business.natwest.com, and remain on that domain while logged into Bankline.

I always assumed that it was the same for the client. However, sometime last year he had trouble reaching the bank, and asked me to look at his computer, wondering if there was something wrong with it.

It turned out that he was typing Natwest into Google, and following the first link - which was to www.nwolb.com - and my first thought, because I didn't recognise the domain as being Natwest's own, was that he'd found himself on a phishing site.

It turns out I was wrong, and nwolb.com is genuinely one of Natwest's domains, but I got a bit ranty about it. In my view, banks are not helping when people fall for phishing scams if their online presence isn't sitting on a straightforward domain that doesn't so much include the bank's name, but rather is their name. Natwest's online presence should be on natwest.com (and other TLDs), HSBC's online presence should be on hsbc.com (and other TLDs), etc.

I commented about this, amongst other places, on Twitter.

The reply I got from the Natwest Business Twitter bod(s)? Something like "natwest.com is our product information website, nwolb.com is for online banking."

I pointed out that I access their online banking via natwest.com (adding that they'd missed the point anyway).

Didn't get a reply.

As for the computer, it was just having a bad hair day.

6. j0llyj0kker

I don't see why this was actually unintentional. The "we're watching you" quote sounds like intentional to me; as if they actually wanted to target the phishers themselves. The Owned and Exposed group is notorious for going after malware and credit card fraudsters as well, is this also unintentional?

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Read the story again. They bragged that they had taken down the Yorkshire Bank, not a bunch of phishers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The "we're watching you" quote sounds like intentional to me;

so watching a phishing site 3 years after it was known as a phishing site is a great thing for them to do, but how can so many tech savvy "Annonymice" (plural) not "check" their work after?

7. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Yorkshire Building Society isn't a banking institution, it's a - duh! - building society.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like