back to article Asian messaging companies are closing in on WhatsApp

While the world picked its jaw from the floor after Facebook decided to fork out $US19 billion for WhatsApp, operators of other messaging services probably broke into huge grins. And the grinners were probably in Asia, where several local players have been quietly amassing loyal user bases that look like they could rival …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did WeChat copy Line?

I would hate to be born a Chinese with a reputation for... We don't even have to talk about it. It's so lame already. Effing noobs...

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: Did WeChat copy Line?

WeiXin predates Line, so I presume the answer is "No". Do I win a prize?

2. solo

Who'll be the next F**Book

It's not even guaranteed that another FB will come in messaging business. The business has so much competition now that no one can dominate.

The nearest messaging success could be a robotic company with a machine which keeps chatting with you while impersonating your best pal (or fantasy) and likes all your talks. Oops! There goes my trillion dollars :)

1. Mtech25
      Mushroom

Re: Who'll be the next F**Book

You know what the scary thing is, that will would actually work in the age of Selfies, your own robotic fanbase to adore you all the time.. I am even more worried for the future than I was before.

3. HereWeGoAgain

Why?

"the fact that WeChat messages are still routed through Tencent servers in China could unnerve international customers"

Why could it unnerve international customers? It seems like a hideously racist viewpoint to think that China is less 'trustworthy' than the mass-snooping Americans.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like