back to article Reg reader rattles tin for GoPro camera 'Stubilizer'

Those among you who feel their lives lack stability are directed to Reg reader Stuart Smith's "Stubilizer" - a range of stabilising platforms for GoPro cameras which has just launched on Kickstarter. Stuart Smith models a 2-axis, helmet-mounted Stubilizer Stuart Smith sports a Stubilizer Back in January, we chewed the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EddieD

Mmm.

I wear a GoPro on my helmet when I'm cycling, and I already look like a tube.

Adding the Stubilizer will only increase my tubeness.

Why don't we just get a chicken to hold it for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc

1. SuperTim

Re: Mmm.

I prefer to use an owl.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBpF_Zj4OA

2. James12345

Given that Schumacher's helmet split is blamed on the attached camera, these might not be such a good idea...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except for the fact that it's not. A rumor got started but the people who actually investigated the incident said that the GoPro wasn't to blame.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Helmets cracking is common and this process when designed into a safety device would actually involve energy dissipation. The front end on modern cars are designed to almost completely disintegrate in an accident. Schumacher's brain injury was likely caused by his brain impacting the skull, not the rock penetrating his brain.

The people spending this sort of money on videos for self gratification, have probably never considered the effects their extreme sports will have on their families if they bite the dust, if they did then helmet technology would have improved along with camera technology.

3. 7-zark-7

Great idea but not sure about using for PG.

I don't fancy getting my paraglider lines caught up in that lot. GoPro bad enough for line snagging risk factor.

Also, from a pg point of view, if you're trying to get perfect smooth shots from a helmet cam then you're probably not keeping a good enough lookout all around you.

I'm sure these would be brilliant for other activities though. Ones without strings and necks involved.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Great idea but not sure about using for PG.

"I'm sure these would be brilliant for other activities though. Ones without strings and necks involved."

Just what we need. More JackAss videos. :P:p:P:p

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's another brushless gimbal.

Lots of them already exist, and a number are open source.

1. Stu

Re: It's another brushless gimbal.

Came here to say that - ^^^.

I bought a Brushless Gimbal to dangle a GoPro from the underside of my QuadCopter. I can get some sweet footage from a stabilised GoPro, you can even use a spare RC channel to control the camera angles.

A Brushless Gimbal uses the new generation of brushless DC motors arranged in and on two or more axes of a mounted camera (GoPro in this case), a microcontroller reads an IMU to determine how to keep it dead level, it's better than an RC servo driven gimbal because there's no twitching, no slow geared response, a brushless gimbal can very effectively cancel out quite violent rotational motion undesired in the final footage.

I sincerely hope he hasn't used the BGC AlexMOS firmware or somebody elses, at least without credit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

^ Miserable lot

That is all.

6. JaitcH
    FAIL

QUOTE: "The Stubilizers all attach using a standard Go-Pro compatible mount. "

THEREIN LIES THE WEAKNESS.

My Go-Pros are helmet mounted and to ensure thieves don't break the flimsy mounting brackets and steal my cameras I mount them inside cages made from stainless steel round bar.

I have seen cameras ripped off by motorcycle riding thieves who don't even pause as they break cameras off.

The Stubilizer simply provides would be thieves with a very ergonomic handle by which to snatch these cameras.

There are competing cameras, in the same price range as G-P, with metal mountings that come with "steadicam" electronic stabilisers and even remote controls.

The excessive use of plastic in the Go-Pro range is it's major weakness, ignoring the lens fogging problem, that is (and the very pricey batteries).

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: QUOTE: "The Stubilizers all attach using a standard Go-Pro compatible mount. "

So you have the camera attached to your head, and you're worried about someone stealing it? Perhaps you should ride in a slightly safer part of the world, where ever you are now sounds horrible.

1. JaitcH
        Happy

"The Stubilizers all attach using a standard Go-Pro compatible mount. "

I have read of theft attempts in many countries of the world including Canada, Europe, UK and USA.

My event was a drunk taxi driver who realised he was in deep doo-doo - he not only lost his job the next day but he was also charged with drunk driving and attempted theft.

The faces of the senior managers, as they watched the video, were a treat to behold - likely they wouldn't have believed it without the video.

2. Adrian 4

Re: QUOTE: "The Stubilizers all attach using a standard Go-Pro compatible mount. "

A cage is reasonable, a stronger mount not so much. Do you really want that motorcycle rider to grab your camera and then discover it's more firmly attached than he suspected ? A weak link will save your neck, literally.

1. JaitcH
        Thumb Up

I've done over 44,000 kilometres using my web cam and only person has tried to steal it.

Mine is mounted on the side of the helmet. There is also a stainless steel tether securing the guard cage to my belt.

7. Havin_it

Change the name

I see what you did there, but it's just awful, sorry. I don't even know how to pronounce it (knowing your name is Stuart provides a cue but other prospective buyers won't have that leg-up). It sounds like it might be an electric shaver or something.

If anyone wants to downvote me for this, please do so because you disagree, not because I'm being mean (because I promise I'm not).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In software instead?

Plenty of post tools can do this, none of them have a butt ugly looking dangerous mount.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: In software instead?

Rubbish In, Rubbish out.

He covered this in his first post... to stabilise digitally would require a lot of cropping.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: In software instead?

It does indeed need a lot of cropping. And a lot of post processing.

Given that all this 'can be done in post' one wonders why there are so many Steadicam devices/operators out there.

9. Euripides Pants
    Unhappy

disappointed

With a name like "Stubiliser" I was looking forward to an article about the intersection of digital photography and shaving...

10. My New Handle
    Flame

You miserable lot

Really? Really? Someone takes the time, trouble and effort to design and produce an out of the box camera stabiliser at an eminently affordable price and gets ripped to shreds. Gawd, I'd hate to go to any tea party you lot are at ... Give a bloke some credit for not only innovation but putting his ideas into a practical device.

This topic is closed for new posts.