back to article Hot, fit, SWEATY users stroke Backbeats model, beg: DON'T CALL US

While the new Plantronics Bluetooth sports headset does have a microphone and you can make phone calls – that’s really not the intention. The whole phonecall bit features is listed as the ninth item in a 10-item feature list – and even then with the phrase “BackBeat FIT headphones built-in microphone allows users to take and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Yawn.

If you need entertainment when you are exercising, your head is in the wrong place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn.

And you've never used music to pace yourself in the gym or when running?

Take a spin class some time and see how the music works to set the pace and motivate.

What pisses me off are the people 'working' in full make up or stinking of deodorant, machines set on minimum, yakking on the phone or texting, no visible sign of sweat.

1. jake Silver badge

Gym? What's that? I left highschool thirty five years ago (ish).

I get my exercise by living life in the great outdoors. No need to "pace myself" ... I have work that needs to be done.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn.@Jake

I'm sure I saw a post of yours claiming to be Arnold Schwarzeneggers training partner and inventing a training regime still in use by the Team USA athletics squad

1. Nibble
            Joke

Re: Yawn.@Jake

This guy taught me all I needed to know about training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A few sensible posts to lull you into a false sense of security, then jake switches back to full twatspanner mode.

2. BongoJoe

Spinning Class.

It's good to hear that the WEA courses are still present enabling us to maintain ancient crafts such as weaving and wool making.

3. Jim 59

It depends on the person and the training. I have listened to music in the gym, but it can be a distraction. For a start, when the heart is beating in the aerobic training range, your own breathing can start to drown the music, especially with "sealed" earbuds. While running outside, earphones tend to drop out, and blocking environmental noise (eg cars) can be dangerous anyway.

I have been in spinning classes where the music is so deafening you can't hear the trainer, that is so dumb.

2. dogged

Nothing like some heavy metal to motivate me into shifting some seriously heavy metal.

3. ShadowedOne

"..your head is in the wrong place."

Sounds like the voice of experience...

2. Jimbo in Thailand
    FAIL

WARNING - Plantronics headphones are low quality garbage!

I've purchased two Plantronics headphones, one a wired set of stereo earbuds and the other their, at the time, flagship Backbeat 903+ stereo Bluetooth model. The sound quality of the former was so bad I just tossed them into a drawer and haven't seen them since. The 903+, though slightly adjustable, was so poorly designed that it never fit very well so the sound quality suffered unless I walked around holding them in place over my ears. Also after only a couple of weeks both of the tiny rubber volume control switch covers/caps fell off somewhere and that was the end of that.

Plantronics... utter and complete sh1te! Please don't waste your money like I did.

1. petur
      Thumb Up

Re: WARNING - Plantronics headphones are low quality garbage!

I'll counter that and say I absolutely love them...

I first had the old 903 which were already great, but when moving about a lot with the phone in the trouser pocket there was an occasional short breakup, happened more when on my bike. Phone call quality was superb both for me and the calling party.

Sadly they (physically) broke (should have not tossed them in my laptop bag every time), and I now have the 903+.

The 903+ material is a bit more stiff and I'm not too fond of the new volume button placement. But BT connection is way more stable now (no breakups). And I now use the small bag they come with to avoid physical damage again. I also like how it tells me battery life when turning on.

Once you get used to the concept, wearing them is great, you soon don't even feel them.

I also like the fact they are not proper in-ears, so outside noise comes in which is good both in traffic and in the office. Even with that design the sound is great and I never use the bass boost function. Then again, I'm also not a bass head....

2. Andy Christ

Mine are fine

Accidentally let them go through both a wash and dry cycle at the laundromat and they still work (very clean sound... Sorry.) Actually they have gotten better over the four years I've had them, as Apple has improved their Bluetooth implementation so they now support Skype. Looking forward to scoring a new set, these look like they'd be just the ticket on summer cycling tours. Only wonder how many hours they run on a charge, my current BackBeats last maybe five and I occasionally ride longer than that.

3. Paul J Turner

Aargh

The return of the Buffalo Hat, the awful memories!

I shan't suffer alone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DeTR8n7eTU

4. RockBurner
    Thumb Up

In support of balanced views...

I've been using a Plantronics BackBeat GO bluetooth headphone set for a couple of months now (since Xmas) and they've been really rather good. I use them daily for the walk to work, and have used them in the gym once where they were fine - didn't fall out and didn't get in the way. Music is good quality (although admittedly I most use them for listening to streaming radio), and phone calls are crystal clear.

5. Rostron

Tried these Plantronics about a year ago and couldn't get the weird horn-shaped earbuds to line up properly or stay in which meant bass and noise isolation suffered. The bluetooth didn't seem to like me moving around outside and would cause the music pitch to go up or down as the signal bounced off walls or other objects when I walked past them.

Would love to have wireless headphones but no-one's made a decent pair yet.

1. conan

I've got some Jaybird Bluebuds X, they're pricey but they sound fantastic and last a surprisingly long time. They'd be really comfortable if I didn't have weird ears which aren't the right size for any of the 3 different sizes of in-ear attachment you get. They stay in place when running or in the gym, and I really like that you can put the cable over or under your ears, whichever you prefer. So if you're ok with wearing in-ear headphones, check them out - if not, stay away. I found the bluetooth signal was fine if I had my phone in my backpack or in a pocket on the same side as the receiver, but not if it was in a pocket on the other side (which isn't really a big deal). http://www.jaybirdsport.com/bluebuds-x-bluetooth-headphones/

1. Le Adder Noir

Second this. Picked some of these up at the airport the other day. Was almost put off by the price. Early days yet but so far very impressed. Agree getting the fit can be fiddly (I have fairly normal-sized lugs, but it took me a good 20 mins or so to get the proper buds, wings and strap alignment, with help from youtube) but when they're in, they don't budge (I went for the over-ear fit).

Sound quality is suprisingly very good - clear, but with good bass - and by their design they are some what noise-cancelling (passive N-C).

They seem to work well with the iPad nano via blutooth anyway (worn on left arm), which means I'll actually use the damned thing.

As to another poster's point, when you don't want to / physically can't exercise in the 50 degree C outside temperature but your gym is populated by posing "grunters", music can be a godsend.

6. Jabber 44

Bluetooth 3.5mm adapter

Hi - Basically - I just use this "Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black" there's a number of similar devices.. It came with a pair of headphones - I've plugged in my trusty Shure's and it syncs with phone or PC for voice calls - but primarily music..

Also - I plugged it into a JBL iPod dock - c.1996 and made it Bluetooth enabled !

1. EddieD

Re: Bluetooth 3.5mm adapter

iPods weren't made until 2001. Just sayin'...

1. Steve Renouf

Ha! Depends who you believe!

http://imgace.com/pic/tag/simpsons-invent-ipod-in-1996/

2. Jabber 44
        Facepalm

Yup - I slipped a decade - meant 2006 !

7. Jim 59

Media player

Strange thing is people strapping huge expensive smartphones to their arms for music while running. Do they know an MP3 player would be tons better in that scenario ? and only £20 lost if falls off/breaks ?

In 1987 these types would be lugging an OSBOURNE 1 round the office, hoping to impress the boss.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Media player

Well, it's two gadgets instead of one, then. And some compulsive types may believe that they are too indispensable to be unreachable by phone for the duration of the run.

1. Jabber 44

Well - there's also the GPS / Accelerometer inc heart rate if you're into that stuff - which might necessitate the smartphone..

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My rationale for having a smartphone entirely, it's phone, satnav, email, diary, music player, e-book display and all sorts. There's Airplane mode for the gym or running and when I don't want to be distracted for other reasons.

Now I just need to work out a plausible reason why I've two of the damn things and a Kindle in my laptop bag.

8. Anon5000

Got myself a pair of bluetooth stereo headphones (Nokia BH-505) to avoid all the wires while listening to music and found them to be superb. Tend to use them whenever I go somewhere by foot or public transport and the benefit of having music in both ears is you shut out the traffic noise as well as all the crazies. The flip side of the coin is everyone thinks i'm the crazy one with a weird contraption stuck to my head.

Only gets used for calls if someone calls me while it is in use. Strange having the callers voice 'inside your head' but it's clear. The issue is others hearing you if it's windy.

Not getting tangled in wires and being able to poke your ear to pause music (or answer a call) as well as a little ear scratch to turn volume up and down go a long way. Not having fiddly cables in the way to pull out by accident, thus thrusting potentially embarrassing music out the phone speakers so the rest of the train can hear, is a clear bonus.

Using the phone for music you are not just limited to your own mp3's, you can use various streaming services such as Googles instant radio and such like. An advantage for those who like some variety from their usual mp3 collection.

As you can tell, I would highly recommend the concept of stereo bluetooth headsets.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like