back to article ROBOCOP statue, Minecraft film, revived Sinclair ZX Spectrum...

Crowd-funding broker Kickstarter has surpassed the $1bn mark for funding on its projects, which include a RoboCop which just stands there in the cash-strapped Michigan city of Detroit and a calendar featuring cats dressed up as magical creatures. The company on Monday said that its projects have amassed more than billion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Is there a Regretsy equivalent for Kickstarter?

There should be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Revived ZX Spectrum

It wasn't a revived ZX Spectrum, just a Bluetooth keyboard that looks like a Spectrum which will only work with games sold by one company.

Games which the authors withdrew the rights for the company to use due to years of unpaid royalties.

3. Paul J Turner

Just to correct any wrong impressions

Those figures don't really reflect the national enthusiasms for Kickstarter, lets see what the average donation per backer is -

U.K. $170.6

U.S. $176.5

Canada $207.8

Germany $221.4

Australia $290.31

Admittedly Antarctica wins at $337 per backer, but maybe there's not much else to spend their wages on.

That's news, when you tell people something new instead of just parroting a web page.

And yes, there could be places with even higher figures, I haven't looked at places not singled out for their 'high donations'.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"Those figures don't really reflect the national enthusiasms for Kickstarter"

The average donations for Australia are heavily skewed because international shipping generally has to be included in your pledge. Australia gets hit for this worse than anywhere else.

4. Matt Bridge-Wilkinson

It is interesting as the two things on kickstarter I backed with my cash, got delayed and delayed and delayed so long that after several big deadline movements, I withdrew my support/got my money back.

I wonder if the figures for people backing out are included in the above, I suspect not. Kickstarter has a lot of chancers. I'd like to see how many kickstarters actually delivered what they promised.

1. Paul J Turner

my mileage has differed

Then again, I backed Australian projects and didn't suffer non-delivery or high shipping fees.

I can readily believe that both high shipping costs and non-delivery (probably due to more enthusiasm and optimism than business sense) are fairly regular occurrences.

I'm a bit too lazy, but I did also wonder how the number of backers per country worked out as a percentage of population.

This topic is closed for new posts.