back to article Murdoch dumps Microsoft, prepares to Hangout with Google

Rupert Murdoch is fond of berating Google, last year emitting the Tweet below and previously accusing it of stealing his precious content. "Please expose Eric Schmidt, Google " etc. Just wait! — Rupert Murdoch (@rupertmurdoch) October 13, 2013 What, then, are we to make of this report titled “News Corp dumps Microsoft for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, that screws...

...Google's Don't Be Evil. It's like a priest hiding the devil under the floorboards, he may no be doing any wrong, but he sure is helping satan out.

Yes, the slime bag IS that bad.

1. RyokuMas
      WTF?

Re: Well, that screws...

"Yes, the slime bag IS that bad."

Which one?

Google's "Don't be evil" has been screwed for ages - between Murdoch's phone hacking escapades and Google's email reading for profiling purposes, this is more like a match made in hell than a priest hiding satan.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

this is more like a match made in hell than a priest hiding satan.

That's what I thought. I cannot see any investor being more suitable to Google than someone with prior intercept experience...

2. RyokuMas
        Coat

Interesting... I get plenty of downvotes here for accusing Google of being evil on a par with Murdoch, yet when I comment here about how dangerous the amount of power Google has over our data from pre-cradle to grave I get upvoted...

Either people need to make up their minds over some things, or someone out there is running scripts to auto-downvote anything that accuses Google of being evil...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or possibly different people are reading different articles?

Or possibly people change their minds based upon the context?

I recommend that you should a) not be so paranoid and b) stop caring about the votes. They don't make any real difference to the experience here.

2. Vociferous

I just downvoted you because you're a whiny bitch.

3. Gerhard Mack

"Interesting... I get plenty of downvotes here for accusing Google of being evil on a par with Murdoch, yet when I comment here about how dangerous the amount of power Google has over our data from pre-cradle to grave I get upvoted..."

How about this? It is indeed dangerous to give them as much power as they have over our data but that doesn't make them evil.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Those poor staff having to put up with Borg Apps. Don't they have Office 365 available in Aus?

1. Big-nosed Pengie

"Don't they have Office 365 available in Aus?"

Yep. That's why they're going with Google.

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

A fool and his money are easily parted...

I know Rupert is a little old and possibly senile, but surely his staff aren't fool enough to go through the enduring hell of corporate Gmail?

Down that road lies pain and suffering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: A fool and his money are easily parted...

What is this hell of coporate GMail of which you type?

Do you use or have you used corporate GMail?

I haven't, so I am interested in hearing your buisnesses experience with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I haven't, so I am interested in hearing your buisnesses experience with it.

It's Google's way to make a business take the fall for its breaches of EU privacy laws, especially now the (un)Safe Harbor agreement has been exposed for the sham it always was.

If you receive a client email as a business, you are not allowed to pass that email off to a 3rd party without the explicit permission of the sender, yet, that is EXACTLY what you do using corporate Gmail and as you as a business do it instead of Google, you are the liable party.

Information Commissioners are reticent to talk about this, but their helplines will confirm this (I checked in 3 different countries, feel free to check yourself). The reason it's kept quiet is because it will cause one hell of a political storm and probably a trade war with the US, so nobody wants to fire the first shot - that is left to Brussels.

2. Daniel 1

"What is this hell of coporate GMail of which you type?"

Using coporate GMail is like using Gmail. If you don't like Gmail, you won't like coporate GMail.

In our company (big company, thousands of employees across the entire globe) Outlook/Exchange never really worked very well, anyway, so the switch hasn't made much impact on how the business runs.

There /may/ be concerns about client data and confidentiality, or whatever - I cannot say, as I do not work in a client-facing area of the business. However, from a functional point of view, the only difference is that I no longer get emails about my inbox being over its size limit, and I no longer have to go back through my email history and work out what I can safely delete (and then delete it from 'Deleted items', of course, and then delete it from 'Recover Deleted Items', and so on... until I finally get some inbox space back).

Also, because Chrome automatically becomes the default browser across the entire company, you tend to hear less about things looking funny in (insert-version-here) of Internet Explorer. Forget about having free rein to install whatever you want, in your own copy of Chrome, any more, though!

1. Hit Snooze

Re: @Daniel 1

However, from a functional point of view, the only difference is that I no longer get emails about my inbox being over its size limit, and I no longer have to go back through my email history and work out what I can safely delete (and then delete it from 'Deleted items', of course, and then delete it from 'Recover Deleted Items', and so on... until I finally get some inbox space back).

You should have sent your Exchange admin to training.

I am lucky to have worked with good admins that setup policies to automatically delete emails in your deleted items folder and ordered beefy enough servers to handle many years worth of emails per inbox. Granted I don't receive, or send for that matter, any mass joke/picture emails and thanks to the tireless user education efforts of all IT staff, this company does not use email as a file store.

Software is only as good as the admin in charge of it.

1. chris 17 Silver badge

Re: @Daniel 1

and that's why everyone hates corporate email & love google mail. In a previous job we had netware and groupwise. i used groupwise as a file store to share folders and files with colleagues working on projects. Much easier to control and everyone always had the uptodate docs. I was very disappointed when i changed job and had to put up with outlook and a 500MB mailbox. I was even sadder to learn i had to file stuff and email docs to co workers (eating into that 500MB) instead of setting up arbitrary sharing. Outlook was a huge step backwards. Manually filing stuff is last century.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Do you use or have you used corporate GMail?"

Many try it for the headline price. Most of them end up dumping it for Office 365...

One of the largest issues with Google Apps (other than the inferior feature set and lack of a desktop version) is that MS Office documents often don't display and edit correctly.

1. Levente Szileszky

AC from MSFT wrote:

"Many try it for the headline price. Most of them end up dumping it for Office 365..."

Haha, you MS trolls are so easy to spot... yeah, y'know it's usually the other way around - right after one of your regular monthly, hour-long, system-wide outages that brings everything to its knees... something Google barely had, if any.

"One of the largest issues with Google Apps (other than the inferior feature set and lack of a desktop version) is that MS Office documents often don't display and edit correctly."

One of the largest issue for MSFT with Google Apps (other than being 100x faster and 1000x easier to use than anything MSFT ever managed to come up with) is that once you switch over you practically STOP caring about Office docs altogether - the ones you receive look/show up just fine but new ones you will create in Google Docs anyway. It's practically a death sentence for Office and since MSFT still haven't managed to pull their corporate heads out of their corporate @sses they still do NOT offer a full-blown browser-based Office for everyone...

4. TheRealRoland

why is all this anti-google stuff being down voted? I just had to switch over from Exchange to Google Apps/ mail. in the process my android phone now needs different apps (email client, different calendar app, and a bunch of notifier widgets) to be able to do what I was able to before the switchover.

plus, now my data limit is being raided by email synchronization,rather than just for regular stuff.

of course, part is the android phone and any layers the manufacturers put over it, but sjeez. Android = google , right? I was hoping for a bit more (businesslike) integration of things.

then, on the laptop; chrome now has to be open all the time to receive notifications, etc. yeah, sure, there's offline gmail - but that's apparently all gone when you clear-cache; so now still trying to work with outlook using some Google apps sync tool, so that my calendars are synced up.

stuff like that distracts me from being able to do my actual work.

but, probably for desk jockeys, this is an easy fix to save money on those pesky MS licenses, and frees up one or two people from doing Exchange maintenance. compare that to offloading effort onto each of your employees...

give me back my exchange!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Murdoch has made a career - and, may I add, a great fortune - out of pain and suffering. Right up his street, then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dont be evil you MicrApple cronies.

Well, wasn't that really what Google meant?

4. James 51

At least when the next hacking scandle comes round we'll know who to go to when we want to know who knew what and when. (Ads based on recent searches - wireless microphones and buckingham palace open times).

Don't know why but they story brought a particular song to mind, 'Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team'

5. Crisp

Rupert Murdoch likes Google now?

That's as good a reason as any to boycott it.

6. pacman7de

Rent a managed server ..

Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a managed server at about £6,000 a year, hire on a techie at about £60,000 and you'll still have £345,000 left over ...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Rent a managed server ..

Inasmuch as they are effectively buying managed servers my guess is that it is not cheaper. I doubt very much whether one person can provide 24/7 support all year round. Then there are the licences and software rollout costs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Rent a managed server ..

You should try and get service from google at any time of the day. I had a business account with them and it took over a day to get any response via email. And there is no telephone support for small businesses. Took days to get my issues resolved.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be nice...

...if Sky dumped MS Silverlight as well for their Sky news live online content so it'll work on a linux PC....

1. James 51

Re: Be nice...

Apparently there is a way with a windows version of firefox running on wine to get sliverlight to work but I haven't tried it myself (*mutter bloody lovefilm/amazonprime mutter*).

8. Elmer Phud

So, now what's the dodgy bugger up to?

As title

9. James Pickett

"Don't they have Office 365 available in Aus?"

Presumably they do, hence the switch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh they are moving to Office 365 then? Can't for the life of me see why a company that size would put up with Google Apps. It's laughably inferior, and they pretty much mandate using the Chrome browser - which seems to require a new set of security patches every week!

1. Vociferous

Google Apps. It's laughably inferior

...should be the slogan for the fucking crap. There is a difference between "easy to use with no useless features", and "so few features that it's useless", and Google Apps is on the wrong side of that divide.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be anothe Baller ballzup, losing rent-a-tout Murdoch

The tech know-nothing Murdoch just has one more stop on his way to touting anything and everything, that's the iCloud. When that circular spaceship takes off, Rupert's going to be on it.

11. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Makes sense really

Go M$?

No, they do not have the followers required

Go Happl?

Well, yeh but part of the marketing strategy is for upper echelon types and part of the strategy is mass appeal. Happl fails on mass appeal.

Go Handroid?

Yes! Mass appeal fits in with stack em hi, sell em cheap part of marketing strategy no?

12. Matt 75

I haven't, so I am interested in hearing your businesses experience with it

Did look into it and decided not to go with it, mainly due to there being no equivalent to the Exchange 'calendar attendant', so would have meant giving someone a considerable amount of work processing meeting room requests - or buying third party software to handle it which would have wiped out any saving.

Also just doesn't integrate with Active Directory as well as Exchange does.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It doesn't integrate with lots of other things as well either. MS Office documents for instance.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Thumb Up

@Matt 75

Voted up for putting your name on your experience.

13. jcuk

Fun journals

Want to book a meeting room and pencil in your privacy evading colleagues?

Google and news corp, match made in hell.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saying you're leaving Microsoft is how you get a good deal.

15. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Devil

Lots of negative AC;s posting today.

Redmond PR department a bit miffed?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like