back to article PayPal row heats up as eBay chair calls Icahn claims 'false and misleading'

eBay chairman Pierre Omidyar has said activist investor Carl Icahn's comments about the firm are "false and misleading" as the row over the fate of PayPal heats up. In one of his notorious open letters to shareholders, Icahn accused eBay's board of having conflicts of interest that had affected its decision not to spin off …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ted Treen

Carl Icahn...

...is beginning to appear like a spoilt brat. Everyone's wrong if they don't want to do things his way.

He's starting to resemble an opportunistic asset-stripper...

All 'allegedly' and IMHO. of course...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Carl Icahn...

Carl Ichan's absolute, sole, one interest in this is to make money for Carl Ichan at whoever's expense.

It doesn't matter that in the long run, it will cost Ebay and its investors money, or that it will cost money in the short run to do any split, because he will get his paypal shares, put them in an bucket with the Ebay ones, sell them, then go along and annoy the f*k out of someone else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Carl Icahn...

...is beginning to appear like a spoilt brat....

He's starting to resemble an opportunistic asset-stripper.

Beginning? Starting?

where have you been for the last decade?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

English understatement. In the same vein: one suspects that Robert Mugabe is no longer view as a kindly father-figure with a twinkle in his eye

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A toothbrush moustache may possibly be regarded as a passé fashion amongst some groups.

It's just barely possible that Arabs and Israelis don't see eye to eye.

An IT job in North Korea might not be enjoyable all the time

...nothing to do with the article...just running with understatement because that's more fun.

2. PhoenixRevealed

Yep... there is only one "activist investor" I and most other people have ever heard of... Icahn... and I bet he loves it that way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we stop calling him an activist investor?

The only activism he appears to do is teach people a magical life lesson about how much of a jerk the parasites that feed off the meta-level exploitation of the stock market are.

1. Goldmember

Re: Can we stop calling him an activist investor?

Indeed. The term appears implies some sort of nobility to his actions.

"That twat Icahn" will do in its place.

1. jai

"That twat Icahn" will do in its place.

if i could, i would upvote your post for the rest of the afternoon, but sadly El Reg are limiting me to just a single upvote. but it's a single upvote with a lot of passion behind it.

someone needs to build one of those plug-ins that will go through the text on all the websites i read and replace "activist investor" with "that twat"

1. Thunderbird 2

someone needs to build one of those plug-ins that will go through the text on all the websites i read and replace "activist investor" with "that twat"

GreaseMonkey will do the job just fine

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

GreaseMonkey will do the job just fine

Proving that even a GreaseMonkey is superior to an activist investor.

2. Geoff May

@Goldmember

That twat Icahn

You cannot call him that. Twats are useful, try enjoying life without one ...

3. marhor

But what about his accusations?

Question is, are they completely unfounded? What about PayPal and Intuit - are they competitors? What about the accusation that Mr. Andreessen is board member of 5 competitors of PayPal?

Would've been nice if these accusations were addressed in the response of Mr. Omidyar.

4. Ben Burch

Icahn is proof that only the good die young.

5. Cubical Drone

Dear Carl

Dude! You have a net worth of 20 bil, that should be plenty. Now please just go away!

1. Mark Ruit

Re: Dear Carl

As an optimist, I would like to think that Icahn has bitten off more tha he can chew with Apple and now eBay/PayPal.

His loudly touted "victory" at Apple gained him only a tiny fraction of what he was asking. Yes that's a well known trick - ask for a lot, settle for a little; but it soon gets callibrated, as then does the response.

Instead of "Icahn", I'm hopeful his nickname may become "Ican't" (or in the context of Apple, perhaos with a different vowel?)

6. whoseyourdaddy

After Intuit/TurboTax caused the IRS to send me a demand letter for $186,000 shortly after I was laid off over a $80 error in entering my taxes withheld, I'm inclined to avoid anything that Scott Cook is involved in.

Starting with Turbo Tax.

7. PhoenixRevealed

Icahn is at it again...

Once again Icahn proves himself to be little more than a bully with money. Rather than go out and start a business of his own and then do what he wants with it, he instead buys minority ownership of successful private companies and then tries to club them into running things for his financial benefit alone.

8. Mage Silver badge

Once more

Icahn proves he is an asset stripper and not an investor.

The sale of Skype made sense as

a) It wasn't doing anything useful for ebay, Paypal or eBay + Paypal.

b) MS was prepared to pay silly money for it

c) There is no obvious way Skype itself can make money.

OTH

a) Paypal makes money and has potential

b) ebay makes money and has potential

c) If ebay didn't have PayPal or it didn't exist, the synergy means it would make sense to buy it or invent it.

d) Selling it only makes a quick buck for people like Icahn and in the longer term reduces ebay ability to do its business.

e) Even Tesco has a "bank" now. Oddly I trust them more than RBS/Ulster Bank etc.

f) While ebay & paypal isn't without faults I trust it better than the classfied ads and <enter name of major UK bank>

PayPal got me money back of a fraudulant ebay seller. Would they bother if they and ebay had no connection?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like