back to article Google coughs up $6.8m for FREE BUSING for San Francisco youth

Google, which has drawn criticism in San Francisco for using public bus stops to pick up passengers for its private employee buses, will donate $6.8m to fund a program that offers low-income youth free rides on the city's Muni public transport system. The Free Muni for Low Income Youth program is open to youth ages 5 through …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tkioz

"With this unprecedented gift from Google"

Less a gift and more "oh will you SHUT UP AND GO AWAY" money I'm thinking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not at all...

It's Google; they'll be tracking those kids' movements and selling them advertising based on their journeys. Quid pro quo!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obligatory - flag seller versus merchant bankster

FS: Couldn't you just give me the pound?

MB: But I don't know what it is for.

FS: It's for the orphans. A gift!

MB: A gift? .... Ah, a tax dodge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUhb0XII93I

2. Mark 85

So in two years...

The funding will be earmarked for something else as it always is in government, and they will be knocking on Google's door asking for money.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DaLo

Tallinn

Is it free?

Or does every resident have to pay for it (whether they use it or not) through taxes?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DaLo

Re: Tallinn

If only your local bus company could get a law that everyone in a town/city had to pay them a set fee every month and in return they could get free bus rides.

They could save so much money not having to market their services or be prone to market/weather fluctuations or even worry about competition.

In fact other things that are deemed beneficial to everyone - free high-speed internet (everyone pays a monthly subscription to cover it), free PCs for everyone to improve education levels and knowledge (subject to a law being passed which makes everyone pay a monthly fee) .. etc..

Just because everyone has to pay for it monthly/annually doesn't make it free.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. oldhand

So if a seven-year-old child runs away from home Google will know. Will they tell the parents ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they'll have special passes containing RFC chips and will have their personal data and movements tracked from the bus pass?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like