back to article WhatsApp no threat to BBM: Blackberry bod says pretender's buyout will HELP ailing firm

You could forgive BlackBerry for being grumpy after Facebook acquired WhatsApp for $16bn. After all, WhatsApp is a very obvious knock-off of BlackBerry's BBM. But for years BlackBerry kept BBM locked inside BlackBerry phones - and only last year opened it up as a real cross platform OTT messaging app. Did BlackBerry kick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sinking ship is still sinking...

1. Big_Ted
      Mushroom

Usual crap no brain used post from an AC

Chen is all about enterprise saving BB and BBM along with BES is a massive part of it.

Oh and the anti Zuck brigade will grow and want the best non Facebook Whatsapp alternative which is BBM......

As to an SMS killer, only if everyone in the world has it would it work, unlike SMS where I only need the phone number. Add to that the choice of a secure system (BB) or an open one (all the others) I know where I want to be.

1. Ryan Clark

Re: .......

It is a shame then that two of the largest clients I work with (1,000+ users) are both ditching BlackBerry at the moment. Both going to windows phone too

2. Gordon 10

AC downvoted because they have posted the same on each BB story this week. Tedious troll.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WhatCrap

Wouldn't touch WhatsApp with a barge pole. If anything good comes from the buyout it's that Facebook totally overhauls WhatsApp's abysmal security implementation.

BBM is much nicer to use.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh alright then

I'll install it and see what all the fuss is about...

[edit] they could have made it to look more like a native app... the problem is, none of my friends are on BBM right now, so I'll see if inviting a few of them might help.

4. Sporkinum

BBM

I have a work provided blackberry, and have had for years. A few years ago, a few of us used BBM. However, a couple of years ago the standard cell at work became the iphone. Once that happened, no one used BBM anymore. I am still on blackberry as the cellular company my phone is through never carried the iphone. They do now, and I would guess when my current phone is replaced they will replace it with an iphone. I know they want to get rid of the BES at some point.

5. I sound like Peter Griffin!!

The only concern with BlackBerry is...

Can they resist Shark SuckerBorg's dollars when he comes a-knocking?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The only concern with BlackBerry is...

I think John Chen was asked that this week, and he said something along the lines of "if someone wanted to buy BBM for $16bn of course I would sell - my first duty is to the shareholders". Can't see anyone making any sort of offer though (no-one wanted the whole company for $4bn remember), and I think BBM will happily carve out it's niche as *the* secure messaging system, as opposed to the one that rifles through your phonebook, links all the numbers with facebook profiles, and who knows what else they'll come up with.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like