back to article Taiwan Mobile unveils Granny-tracker smart bracelet

State-of-the-art smartwatches and wearables are garnering many of the headlines at the Mobile World Congress this week, but in Taiwan a local operator has a different idea – a smart bracelet designed specifically for the elderly. The wearable device is fitted with NFC technology so that the user can swipe it over an NFC- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ketlan
    Thumb Up

Very nice

A bloody good idea - though I'm not too sure about it keeping a record of any music listened to that day. Nevertheless, this will be a godsend to anyone with a parent/partner with Alzheimer's.

2. a well wisher

Still need to remember their NFC enabled Smart Phone though !

Plus thats now two mobile devices which need remembering to charge

But then again most elderly (Alzheimer's or not ) tend to avoid smartphones as too complex in my experience

If they remembered to take the phone - couldn't they just press an SOS button on the phone or one of its apps

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

On the other hand

The bracelet does provide an identity to a third party, helping a lost and possibly distressed Alzheimer's sufferer.

Not sure why it needs a smartphone to be around, though: put the squawk chip (it need only be an SMS message) into the watch, and a 'please contact' message on the screen thereof.

(Actually, as described: what happens if the patient picks up the phone with the wrong hand? And aren't you asking a distressed/confused/possibly incompetent patient to perform a fairly complex task?)

1. no-one in particular

Re: On the other hand

> And aren't you asking a distressed/confused/possibly incompetent patient to perform a fairly complex task?

Perhaps they should reverse it, make it a dead-man's switch: when the patient goes into a confused state and can no longer do the wrist/phone swipe correctly, then fire off the alarm message.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

What does it do?

I thought it was saying something else; if I find a distressed stranger wearing one of these bracelets, I touch it with MY phone and it contacts their relatives or a care agency. Then what? I dunno, they read my location, they phone me back, we discuss the ransom money...... (joking).

4. thomas k.
    Facepalm

music they listened to that day ....

Hmm, did I listen to Walkure today or was that yesterday?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like