back to article Nokia to Devs: PLEASE DON'T make Nokiadroid apps look like WinPho

Nokia is telling developers not to make their Nokia Android apps look like Windows Phone apps. Nokia has been explaining how much work is needed to port Android apps to its new Nokia X range, which uses the AOSP Android open source base. The Finns reckons 75 per cent of apps need no modification at all, but 25 per cent will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Confused

I am so confused about what's going on here.

Microsoft buy Nokia who make Windows phones. Just as the deal is settling down, Nokia launches phones running a competing operating system because Microsoft's is too expensive (This could either be license or hardware costs) and they're haemorrhaging market share.

Shouldn't this be ringing massive alarms bells in Microsoft?

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Confused

> Microsoft's is too expensive (This could either be license or hardware costs)

The WP only agreement with MS expires early this year so the $ billion per year from MS terminates. This was intended primarily to offset the licence costs. Effectively this will raise the cost per phone by $30.

One major problem with WP7 and WP8 is that these only supported a limited range of specific SoCs so the phones became outdated internally and the makers could not benefit from newer, cheaper, chips. WP8.1 is supposed to add a new SoC to the list but it is likely that the cost of this will still disadvantage WP compared to even newer chips.

The only reason that there has been a recovery in market share is that the cheaper phones (520) have been selling below real cost.

Mozilla, for example, has just announced that FirefoxOS will run on a new SoC that integrates so much of the hardware, and is so cheap, that it can be made into a phone that costs $25. It is unlikely that WP8 would ever support this simply because Microsoft has to do it, the OEMs cannot.

2. auburnman

Re: Confused

I'm picturing a civil war within Nokia as certain factions resist being borged with their dying breaths.

2. Herby

Now if they can get ports the other way

Like from Win-Pho to Android in 8 hours or less, they might have something.

Oh, if they do that, nobody will need/want a WinPho, such sadness.

1. Swarthy

Re: Now if they can get ports the other way

But, if they could get Andoid-> WinnPho in ~8 hrs, that would knock out a large complaint with WinPho, namely no apps, no games.

1. poohbear

Do devs really need another minor environment to worry about?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More importantly we could flash all that nice Samsung hardware to Windows Phone and get rid of that laggy and insecure Android stuff.

1. Richard Plinston

> More importantly we could flash all that nice Samsung hardware to Windows Phone and get rid of that laggy and insecure Android stuff.

Well, no, you can't. That is because WP does not support the modern SoCs that Samsung put in their phones, it only supports a handful of SoCs that came out a couple of years ago. WP8.1 apparently will support one new SoC from last year.

3. Timo

@Herby - I'm not sure that there are any WinPho apps worth porting to Android.

1. cambsukguy

You've obviously never seen Photosynth or People app for that matter.

1. Tom 38

You've obviously never seen Photosynth or People app for that matter.

You sir, are 100% right. That is mainly because I have never seen a WinPho in the wild.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

1. RyokuMas
            Trollface

"That is mainly because I have never seen a WinPho in the wild."

... and exactly what is the top speed of your tractor? :P

4. Vociferous

> if they do that, nobody will need/want a WinPho

You mean, exactly like it is now?

5. Steve Knox

You misread that graphic. That's from Android to Nokiadroid, not from WinPho to Android.

8 hours to port your app from a giant marketshare to 0 marketshare. Brilliant!

1. RyokuMas

Yeah, WinPhone to Android is currently taking me about 1-2 hours on average, plus a bit of testing time.

Anything that starts taking much over a couple of days - chances are I won't bother with launching it on Android. Wouldn't want to waste any more of my time on an ecosystem with an approx 90% piracy rate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Yeah, WinPhone to Android is currently taking me about 1-2 hours on average, plus a bit of testing time.

Anything that starts taking much over a couple of days - chances are I won't bother with launching it on Android. Wouldn't want to waste any more of my time on an ecosystem with an approx 90% piracy rate."

Care to elaborate how you can port a WP app to Android in 1-2 hours ? what is it ?...hello world ?...a fart app ?

"plus a *bit* of testing time"......ahhh that's what I like a sound testing methodology...............facepalm

"Wouldn't want to waste any more of my time on an ecosystem with an approx 90% piracy rate."....yes much better to focus on 3% marketshare............and 2 days is too much of your time to launch on a platform with an install base of over 1Bn devices ????? sorry mate you are clearly off your head.

3. PhoenixRevealed

BlackBerry Android ports are NOT "native"

Interesting to see fairly positive comments regarding BlackBerry's much improved Android runtime, but the author completely misuses the term "native", which NEVER refers to Android ports. Native BlackBerry apps are only those written in C++/QML/JavaScript using the Native or Cascades APIs.

4. Goldmember

Why would anyone want to?

"PLEASE DON'T make Nokiadroid apps look like WinPho"

I've developed a couple of WP8 apps (because I got paid to), and I made them look as much like their Android counterparts and NOT like WP8 apps as possible. Because, well, standard WP apps look shite.

Apparently Nokia shares this view.

1. cambsukguy

Re: Why would anyone want to?

Can't read between the lines?

"I ran a Windows Phone app and it wasn't slick and sleek like people say, not buying another".

The idea is to ensure no-one mistakes that crappy non-sliding, menu-at-the-top garbage for a WP app.

1. Vociferous

Re: Why would anyone want to?

I own a Windows Phone. "Slick and sleek" is not how I would describe it.

5. Frank N. Stein

I am waiting for someone to root an XL and tell us what version of Cyanogenmod will be running on it. It was complete lunacy for Nokia to fork Android and replace Google's services on it in favor of Nokia or Microsoft services. Any developers rushing to port their apps to NokiaDroid?

6. bigtimehustler

Errrrm....what? To compare it to blackberry is nonsense! Blackberry needs to do this because it is a different OS and regardless of how well it is optimised it is still slower than doing it properly. But this monstrosity is actually already running on android!? So why the in all that is holy is this bollocks required? Just open up the android API's directly and all the apps that have already been made for it will work. I mean, do Nokia really believe there are that many software companies that have made windows only apps? Jusus, they will all already have android compiled versions ready to go.

7. Duncan 4

market share

A great way to get a gauge of market share is at your kids Christmas play, all the parents hold their phones aloft for all to see. At our play this year there were windows phones everywhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: market share

I hope the parents all go to see Guns N' Roses.

2. Philippe

Re: market share

That was the Microsoft Christmas play?

8. Daniel B.

Did I miss something?

Nokia is being borged by MS, at least the smartphone part. Where is this Nokia X coming from? The part of Nokia that isn't getting borged?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Did I miss something?

That is both yes and no as the transaction has not happened yet, but it is definitely a no when it has happened. The introduction for Nokia X was made by Elop and he is "working" for MS now. Still I am a bit pissed of with Elop as I think he should have made that decision years ago when working for Nokia. But perhaps this was all in the grand plan from the beginning.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like