back to article Mobile World Congress: It's not about the SHINY SHINY anymore

The industry hog roast and hoedown that is Mobile World Congress used to be all about who had the shiniest new smartphone, tablet or random mobile-related gadget. But things have changed. Although there is still the normal (or perhaps abnormal) proportion of Lycra-clad mobile-touting booth babes to soak up the furtive gaze of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Windows

Virtualisation within virtualisation?

"Containerisation is, if you will, almost like virtualisation within virtualisation."

It's also almost like an OS that works, keeping processes (and data) apart when the owner of the machine doesn't want them to trample on each other. I think the idea was invented in the fifties and the only reason anyone can still sell it as "the next great thing" is because consumers have had such utter crap foisted on them in recent decades, so hardly anyone under the age of 50 can remember using a computer system that lets *you* control who sees and uses your data (and hardware, for that matter).

(Icon: "crusty old fart" rather than "Windows user", although I'd be the first to point out that Mr Cutler's fine offering is an example of an OS that worked that has, over the years, been dumbed down in the name of usability to the point where it no longer does the one job that would be useful.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Virtualisation within virtualisation?

Yep, that's what workspace pointers were for, and PMMEs.

This coat has deep pockets and they currently hold the OS source code...on microfiche.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't suppose there's a way of containerising the advertising industry away from the rest of us, is there? I'd buy one of those.

3. msknight

Can't contain the container

Tried containerisation late 2012/early 2013. It failed precisely because of what it is and does. The only workable way around this, IMHO, is to have a device which is fully encrypted, in order to get around the "barriers."

I hated containerisation and to date, no one has showed me an alternative that works.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Facepalm

Re: Can't contain the container

<Cough> Blackberry </Cough>

HTH.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rent an OS

Bloody cloud!

Sorry, it's getting irritating now.

Having a visualized system/browser within the OS of your Mobile will work as a layer of security.

Just your device will need a bit of grunt to host the VM.

Having your OS on a cloud system, even in part, seems like a great way to hold someone to ransom.

M$, Apple & Google must be wetting themselves with excitement... OK, maybe not M$, I mean they need to sell some first.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How are you supposed to have containerisation....

... when every app that is installed has access to everything on your mobile and leaks it all back to those vendors.

6. Robert Grant
    Happy

Wow

Chroot (1979) is the biggest change to system architecture since the rise of client/server in the early 1990s? That's cool.

7. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

flocci nosi dood

floccinaucinihilipilification

This topic is closed for new posts.