back to article Tizen devices are HERE.... Hello, Samsung Gear 2 smartwatches

The next generation of Samsung's Gear smartwatches is based on its homegrown Tizen mobile OS, rather than Android, the Korean chaebol has revealed. Samsung unveiled two new Tizen-powered watch models – the Gear 2 and the Gear 2 Neo – at the Mobile World Conference in Barcelona over the weekend. Like their predecessor, the new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf

hmm

Perhaps more of a tactic to pressure Google into some type of concessions concerning Android(not sure what offhand)? Samsung is probably one of the few companies that can get their attention.

2. GaryDMN

Tizen isn't new

Tizen isn't new. It was Samsung's open source mobile OS, before Android.

3. Busby

Pricing will be way off, if they were around £100 for the basic and £120 for the other then maybe.

Likely be priced at least double that limiting the number of people willing to jump to a new platform.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jump to a new platform?

Smartphones are a nearly non-existent market, it isn't like Android has any presence in that market. What difference does it make for whether anyone would buy these whether they're running Android or Tizen? It isn't like you're going to go to the Google Play store and find smartwatch apps.

I think the big thing holding back adoption is that the product sucks. It doesn't provide anything anyone wants. Maybe Apple will do better, as they seemed to get the formula right with tablets after multiple failed tablet attempts from Microsoft. Or maybe that's why the Apple watch is always rumored and never seen - perhaps they can't figure out how to make one that people will want to buy either!

4. Ted 3

But what will the new Gear ad be?

Surely, the discussion should be less about Tizen vs Android or specs and much, much more about the advertising campaign for Gear 2.

Are we going to see a reprise of Creepy-Gear-Wanker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nJKWJTsUg#t=0) and Easily-Impressed-Bimbo, not to mention What-A-Loser-He-Has-A-Phone-Man? Will it be set in a nudist colony or a swingers' club, to make it even more awkward? We must know!!

5. Mahou Saru

As a feature phone...

If the battery life increase from Gear 1 to Gear 2 is from the OS, it would be interesting to see if they push Tizen as a feature phone/device OS.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Enquiring minds want to know...

Is it good gear?

7. MR J

Tizen could be Bada for users.

Seeing how Sammy left Bada users out to dry then I doubt anyone who purchased those "open" phones before will dare get anything Tizen.

I am sure it will be great at launch, but if they don't have millions of users dumping hundreds of millions into the pot then we'll see them abandon it (like Bada) and users will be hung out to dry.

Most of the tech sites seem to love the idea of Tizen, it is just regurgitated press releases from Sammy.

If the OS was 100% open, OR, if Abandonware like Bada (And Tizen in 2-3 years time) was made public then I would support it.

If Tizen is 100% open, then great... I doubt it will be. I doubt that you will be able to compile your own Tizen build for your TizDevices. Hopefully Sammy will prove me wrong.

8. James 36

Optional

I could be interested in one if

1) it costs less than £100

2) it works with any android phone

otherwise not bothered

9. Halfmad

I don't want a watch which needs to be paired with a phone, I want a smart watch which is a phone too.

10. WhatAboutBob
    Meh

Still waiting

on a watch I can use to talk to my talking car.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like