back to article Pony up: Botnet succesfully targets Bitcoin

Another $US200,000-plus worth of Bitcoins has been lifted, according to Trustwave, which has identified a new Pony botnet targeting crypto-currencies. News of the heist comes hard on the heels of Mt Gox withdrawing from the Bitcoin foundation and killing off its social media accounts. Pony isn't a horse of a completely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

Is an unencrypted wallet enough?

Unencrypted wallet does seem a bit harsh, but wouldn't it take more than that? It seems to me that the attacker would have to install a virus or keylogger, and that requires root privileges. I can guess how that happened, but nevertheless these were rather trusting souls.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Is an unencrypted wallet enough?

It may just be that most users don't have much in their bitcoin wallets. After all, when you go to bed at night, do you leave your wallet in your trouser pocket, or lock it in a wall safe? If you only have a fiver in it, the wall safe option might seem like overkill, even if you happen to have one right next to your bed.

2. Charles Manning

Ponies, heists,... what next

Maybe stage coaches, sheriffs and lynchings?

This bitcoin stuff is looking more like the wild west and gold mining every day.

As it was with the gold rushes of yesteryear, a few miners made a ton and most lost everything they had. The only people that always did well were the barmen, hookers and shovel salesmen.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

So, where are the hookers and the barmen ?

3. Rafael 1
    Joke

Dogecoin not on the list?

Such trust. Much safety. Very better. Wow.

1. Crisp

Re: Dogecoin not on the list?

Wow. Such comment. Much upvote.

Wow.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

That's a lotta coins!

I didn't realise there were quite that many thingycoin things going now. What exactly would motivate someone to expend scarce computing resources and electricity, in order to mine junkcoin? 'Tis very strange. Also odd to assign monetary value to them, as I bet you can never actually find a buyer.

On the other hand maybe some, or all, of them will work. It's a free market out there - so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Therefore I propose that El Reg get off their arses, and get busy coming up with all their users really want. No, not spaceplanes or better forum software. We want none of such flim-flammery. Give us VultureCoin!

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: That's a lotta coins!

There are, however, sites (such as cryptsy) which operate as crytocoin exchanges. Even if you can't get $currency for your $cryptocoins, you can exchange them for bitcoins, which although not simple to do, can be exchanged for $currency (difficulty depends on $currency).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I saved a heap of time...

...I didn't bother mining any [insert name here] Coins, I just threw my money out into the street.

Much faster.

Same basic result.

7. Colin Millar
    Coat

Anyone want to buy

This bridge in Brooklyn?

As the man said

"There's one born every minute, you just happened to come along at the right time"

8. John 104
    Coat

Trustwave notes that most users, it seems, don't encrypt their wallets, which seems somewhat rash to The Register. ®

No more rash than the entire idea of non-insured digital currency...

@AC. Yes, throwing money into the street probably would have been just as smart with less hand wringing in the end.

Mine's the one with the old fashioned wallet in the pocket, full of insured debit/credit cards and real cash money...

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Seems pretty clear then

Virtual cash is .. virtual.

About time people started to get the message.

This is all on par with get-rich-quick schemes, and we all know that the only ones who win are the ones who started it.

In any case, this slew of articles concerning MtGox and sleazy dealings in StuffyCoins is the final nail on the coffin.

As far as I'm concerned, all these CoinThingys are just criminal enterprises, period.

10. Acme Fixer

Does anyone know how much money (dollars, not clonecoins) the originator of Bitcoins has made from his creation? I wonder...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like