back to article NBN Co tells iiNet: Use Broadcom chips in VDSL routers

iiNet, Australia's third-largest internet service provider in terms of subscriber numbers, has been told by NBNCo that it should consider only Broadcom chipsets for its future VDSL modems. Simon Watt, head of iiNet's labs, told The Register the advice was not prescriptive, but given the lead time required to develop customer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. flibbertigibbet
    Thumb Up

And openwrt supports it

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/soc/soc.broadcom.bcm63xx

But no WiFi. Which is a shame. ISP's around the world are handing out modems with an open WiFi ESSID other subscribers can use when they are out and about. I haven't seen any real sign of that happening in Australia. I wonder if it is because the dominant carriers are also mobile phone carriers.

2. cortland
    Facepalm

THIS again?

I worked on a VDSL product at DSC (later to be Alcatel USA) in 1997 and 1998. It didn't sell.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: THIS again?

A lot of other people have worked on it since then. And they are selling a lot of boxes now.

3. Black Betty

I wonder what (if any) relationship Broadcom has with the Alphabet soup?

no text

4. RobHib
    Angel

Now, I'll be provocative.

Being commonly available, perhaps,Broadcom chips in VDSL routers are easier for the NSA to wiretap.

(And a non-standard device would require another cracking team/effort. Of course, financial administrators will always discourage additional expenditure, especially if avoidable.)

>:-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like