back to article Cheap'n'cheerful Chinese mobesters ZTE launch Firefox phones

As Telefonica pushes Firefox as a foil to the dominance of Apple and Android, ZTE is keen to play ball with a couple of new Firefox phones. Called the Open C and Open II, they are looking to ship more than one million devices this year. The new phones run Firefox OS 1.3. It’s Telefonica’s strategy to sell Firefox phones to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's too many "also rans". Haven't people learned from the "xyz for xmas no1" campaigns? if you want to provide a decent alternative you need to join forces.

Having Tizen, Jolla, Ubuntu's mobile and Firefox OS for alternative is a recipe for failure. Few of them will attract apps, users and developers.

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    WTF?

ZTE and upmarket...

Are 2 things that are never going to happen.

(Same as Samsung and original design - down votes at the ready!)

3. dogged

Telefónica?

Does this mean we can expect O2 to start pushing these mobes?

1. Philippe

Re: Telefónica?

My O2 account manager has been telling me a for a year that they will.

I have lost interest at least 6 months ago..

4. JDX Gold badge

Telefonica’s strategy

"It’s Telefonica’s strategy to sell Firefox phones to users in markets where digital watches are still seen as being a pretty neat idea"

So basically target people who don't know what a decent smartphone is supposed to look like.

1. Tanuki

Re: Telefonica’s strategy

Or for those of us who want a cheap-n-cheerful phone because we treat the things as boring domestic appliances on a par with kettles or toasters rather than as a flamboyant extension of our personality?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Nice!

Mine the cheap Nokia 520 in a nasty shade of red

2. Adam 1

> rather than as a flamboyant extension of our personality?

You misspelt penis.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New 6" ZTE fits my pocket

83mm width is essentially the same as my original Galaxy Note, 83mm, which fits my shirt pockets very nicely :) Hmm... Pity it wasn't available with Firefox OS - a Dual Boot, perhaps?

6. Ken 16 Silver badge

while Nokia punts Android as 'entry level'

It's not the OS (so long as it runs smoothly) but what I'd like to see an entry level phone as is small, slim and able to fit my pocket while having a couple of days battery life and wake on alarm. My old Samsung s8500 does that and my not so old Sony Xp'Ray does 90% of it but since then everyone's gone chasing bigger screens. :-( Surely it'd be cheaper to put a smaller screen in and keep the OS?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: while Nokia punts Android as 'entry level'

Like a modern day 8310?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like