back to article NHS care.data leaflet shovage: Like a 'notice for Earth's demolition' posted to Alpha Centauri

This was the week when Google advised its tech spec-wearing minions not to be "Glassholes". That's right, the Chocolate Factory has simultaneously caved in to the zinginess of the moniker for those sporting Google Glass and made the term that much less cool... Of course, the Choc Factory's marketing folk were a being a little …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When you know that a product (Glass) requires some etiquette that it is going to be abused.

1. SW10
      WTF?

Oh, the irony:

We all know that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Google's business model is built on the principle of "we can, so we will."

Now they have to tell Glass Exploiters to row back from default Google behaviour to default civilized behaviour...

2. Mark 78
    Thumb Up

Douglas Adams

A day is always improved with a DNA quote, and it seems very fitting for care.data

1. Richard Taylor 2

Re: Douglas Adams

Although it would be good to supplement the quote with another....

"You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to the building plans had you? I mean like actually telling anyone or anything.'

But the plans were on display.'

On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.'

`That's the display department.'

`With a torch.'

`Ah, well the lights had probably gone.'

`So had the stairs.'

`But look you found the notice didn't you?'

`Yes,' said Arthur, `yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".'"

1. wiltshirejohn

Re: Douglas Adams

Them leopards are a damn nuisance..

Anyways - if, like me, you didn't get the appropriate piece of junk mail then take a look at

http://medconfidential.org/

p.s. although this database idea is, in principle, a good idea for medical research etc.etc. the thought of me contributing anything to this dataminer's goldmine makes me shudder.

3. Dave Horn

"Apathetic bloody planet..."

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

That reminds me, I have to put up an announcement for the students

Where's that sign "Beware of the Leopard"?

5. Richard Tobin

Dyson

"The patent system offers us some protection but not enough: with an army of lawyers, hidden prior art is occasionally found and ways to design around existing patents identified."

In other words, he wants a monopoly on things that he wasn't the first to invent, and on ways of doing things that he didn't think of.

(I have a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner. It broke just after the warranty expired, and was pretty useless anyway. Why anyone would want to copy them is a mystery.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dyson

No, he's saying: "Samsung, don't be a bunch of knobs. You infringed on our _granted_ patent, we sued, and only then did you search and find the prior art, so stop playing victim."

6. AOD

"Ever thought of going into advertising?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like