When are posts moderated?

This topic was created by A Non e-mouse .

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

When are posts moderated?

Sometimes when I post a comment, it appears instantly. Other times, it just says "Awaiting moderation" Now, I can understand if a particular story has proactive rather than reactive moderation for legal reasons (e.g. current court cases).

But sometimes, I'll post one message on a story and it'll appear instantly. Yet a follow-up message posted, say, an hour later, sits awaiting moderation for hours. Other times, posts to what I believe are innocuous topics are held in moderation.

I'm not complaining about the length of time moderation takes, just questioning when moderation kicks-in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When are posts moderated?

Umm... your posts are auto-modded, except when the article has pro-active moderation. Our production desk is responsible for moderation - but it is just one of their tasks. During the week in UK time, this means that there may be a small lag - in US and Australia time there can be a longer time lag - as we have fewer people around at that time. Which is why comments made at the weekend may take many hours to be moderated.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

So what triggers auto moderation, then?

2. Turtle

"your posts are auto-modded"

What does this mean, exactly? And are everyone's posts auto-modded, or does the "you" in the quote refer to "A Non e-mouse" specifically?

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: When are posts moderated?

The comment moderation system is mostly a straight filter (certain naughty words etc). When it chooses to filter stuff, that gets bounced up to a human moderator for review - or auto-rejected, depending on certain factors it's probably not wise for me to reveal. Comment modding isn't our primary task so this can take a while for us to turn around.

There are some persistently abusive/legally problematic/won't use the corrections link commentards. These people are put into manual pre-moderation, where every single one of their comments has to pass manual review before being accepted.

Certain articles are also subject to manual pre-moderation. Tends to be in the case of writers or subjects which attract a lot of abusive comments. You want to visit our house and have a conversation, fine, but don't come in here and mug us off in front of our pals.

Occasionally there are stories about legal proceedings where the risk to us is too great to allow comments so we just switch them off altogether.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon