back to article Handcuffed Obama administration pokes patent trolls, pleads for Senate legislation

The Obama administration has renewed its call for legislation to combat patent trolls, and has issued three new executive actions that – although limited in scope – underline its intent to do whatever it can without Congressional help, as Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker put it, "to encourage innovation, not litigation." …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herby

A Start.

Given this administration's track record, I don't see much coming down the pike. But, hey, it IS a start.

We can only hope.

p.s. I don't hold this administration in much regard, given what they have done in the past 5 years.

Even better would be to move the lawsuits out of the East Texas courtroom which is WAY to friendly to trolls.

2. Thorne

Is it just me but.....

Executive action one : Find free workers

Executive action two: Find free engineers

Executive action three: Find free lawyers.

These changes are the most you can do without actually doing something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me but.....

And since Congress holds the purse strings, how the %$#@! do you think Obama could initiate anything other than through volunteer assistance?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction

"1. Crowdsourcing Prior Art: The US Patent and Trademark Office is launching a new program to gather information from "companies, experts, and the general public" to help patent examiners track down prior art."

should read:

"1. Crowdsourcing Prior Art: The US Patent and Trademark Office is launching a new program to gather information from "companies, experts, and the general public" to help patent examiners DO THEIR JOBS."

4. Vociferous

Well, since it's Obama proposing this...

...it's a given that all republicans will filibuster any legislation he proposes.

5. Bakana

Laws of Nature

They forgot to mention that the Patent Office needs to stop issuing patents for stuff that God "invented".

You are not Supposed to be able to patent things like Mathmatics, but Apple is willing to Try and some of the people at the Patent Office seem to think that: "What Apple Wants, Apple Gets" is part of patent law.

6. Jonathan Richards 1
    Unhappy

Crowdsourcing Prior Art

This is a strategy that was pursued by (if not invented at) Groklaw, and its author, Pamela Jones. Groklaw is now sadly boarded up, though, as a direct consequence of overweening surveillance by the NSA.

This topic is closed for new posts.