back to article Elon Musk ADMITS he met Apple: iCar 'great idea', keeps schtum on Tesla hookup

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has admitted holding a tête-à-tête with Apple - but has refused to disclose the exact nature of the discussions. Rumours have been swirling about a possible hook-up between the fruity firm and the electric car manufacturer. Although Musk confirmed that he had held talks with Apple, he gave no indication …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Semtex451

Think of the Apple idiot tax on an iCar.

Perhaps their shares are undervalued :\

Sheeeech

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Fancy cars carry premiums of tens of thousands of £/$ over cheaper offerings, Apple computers a couple of hundred £/$ at most. When respected tech sites such as Tom's Hardware have attempted to build generic PCs with like-for-like specifications to Macs, they usually arrive at the roughly the same cost. Where Apple will cost above the odds is in upgrading the base specification. However, the automotive industry is already well adept at that game, and doesn't need any lessons from Apple.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

But

Who wants a car without windows?

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: But

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971

3. The Man Himself Silver badge

wheels

I assume the iWheels on the iCar will have RoundedCorners©

4. JDX Gold badge

Partnership rather than buy-out seems far more likely unless they want to ape Google and develop self-driving cars.

You'd think it'd be better for Apple to partner with multiple firms though so you can buy an iFiesta, iTesla, etc according to budget.

1. Adam JC

We all remember what happened last time...

when they offered an alternative phone for people on a 'budget'... iPhone 5C anyone? :-)

1. ThomH

Re: We all remember what happened last time... @Adam JC

At $60,000 the Tesla is a budget car, silly!

2. Rob

I agree

Google is already in that space, well Android is. I'm upgrading my double DIN head unit for a 6 inch screen that comes with Android 4+

Google struck a deal with VW for similar although I'm not sure if they have rolled any production units out yet in their cars.

Apple already has widespread connectivity for music they just need to get iOS into the actual head unit now.

5. hplasm
    Angel

Who would want one?

Apart from iCarly.

(whoever that is...)

6. Neil 44

No thanks

If the fruity lot do get involved with Tesla, then that's a dream car off my list :(

No doubt they will start claiming to have invented all sorts of bits of cars that have been present since Benz's time!

1. ThomH

Re: No thanks

Mercedes had a self-driving car take itself from Germany to Denmark back in the mid-'90s so are probably used to those tech upstarts duplicating their work by now.

1. Tom 38

Re: No thanks

Mercedes had a self-driving car take itself from Germany to Denmark

Depending where you start and finish, that might not be that impressive.

2. JDX Gold badge

If the fruity lot do get involved with Tesla, then that's a dream car off my list :(

Why? Are you picturing it as a normal model which only plays music through your iPhone?

Far more likely you'd see an "i" version of existing Teslas, they need to keep their customer base wide.

7. Chad H.

Obviously Apple aren't in the Automotive business... But other than gadget to vehicle hookup, could their interest maybe be in Tesla's work in batteries and energy use?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given Apple's performance with Maps...

They could call it the iCrash

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe Apple can supply...

...fire suppression equipment to Tesla?

10. Dave 126 Silver badge

Maybe Jony's got bored...

...of designing minimalist computer gear and fancies having a go at a car. He does like his motors - as his appearances at the Goodwood Festival of Speed testify.

11. annodomini2
    Childcatcher

Who's awaiting...

,,, the article stating the USPO has granted Apple a patent on the Wheel??

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

US car company that has not been bailed out by US Govt makes profit.

Aerobatic display team of Tamworth and 2 Gloucester Old Spots fed, watered and ready to fly.

13. chemnerd
    Pint

This will be expensive

One of the most expensive electric car companies talks with one of the most expensive (unlocked) mobile phone companies. This will not end up with anything I can afford....

14. James Hughes 1

I wonder how Tesla's lack of profits compare with other car manufactureres in the US?

Because a $16M loss doesn't seem that bad for a young company like Tesla, compared with Ford or GM IIRC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like