back to article App-maker King hopes to CANDY-CRUSH $500m from IPO

Candy Crush Saga-maker King Digital Entertainment has filed for an initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange, which it hopes will raise $500m for the firm. The Swedish firm had filed confidentially for its market debut with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in the US back in September under the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 35

OK

That answers the question of why they have been doing the Godzilla impersonation of late.

Owning the word candy should be worth a few million for the big bosses.

2. Gannettt

Honestly can't understand why they need to go public, unless it's to rake in investor cash for yet another Shariki-based game with a name ending in Saga.

1. Snake Plissken

Because they are following the Zynga model.

1. Make a load of cash from idiots playing your ripped off game

2. Make another load of cash from idiots who think attempting to catch lightning in a bottle a second time is a sound basis for a long term business.

3. MooseNC

Bejeweled and Bust-a-Move are so awesome, I wish someone would completely rip them off, put a veneer of new graphics on them, tweak the random number generator towards constant failure, and then sucker people into buying microtransactions.

If only there was some company that could do that...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It was worse then that,

http://www.tickld.com/x/i-cant-believe-they-are-doing-this-its-disgusting

4. Chris 244
    Trollface

FIFY

Candy® Crush® Saga® by King®

1. MrT

Candy® Crush® Saga®...

...That's® What® My Heart® Yearns® For® Now® ?

The Zynga School of Business Ethics' finest alumnus...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well if you compare it to facebook,

with 324m active users, that should be worth about $33 billion !

6. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Hmmm

I wonder how this will affect it.

1. DiViDeD

Re: Hmmm

Maybe King (Oh, ROYAL GAMES, sorry) need the money for the expensive lawyers they'll need to keep Ransom tied up in court until he's bankrupt.

That's the usual course of action when a Big Guy is called out by the little Guy, isn't it?

"We have more money than you, so we can buy the court while you mortgage your house to try and stop us"

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

ore

They could just choose sensible titles and mind their own businesses.

Then people wouldn't have to get silly.

7. RyokuMas
    Joke

I can see the Reg headlines now...

Candy®! Crush®! Saga®! buys®! Yahoo®! and®! Facebook®!... bitch®!

8. BigAndos

Long Term

I can't help but think they desperately need to start inventing some original game mechanics instead of swiping the game play wholesale from existing games. Otherwise, I think they're destined to be the next Zynga...

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Long Term

Why? Scraping crap off the pavement is free and as long as there are enough mugs prepared to pay for it....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like