back to article VMware embiggens VSAN to petabyte scale

VMware has started to dribble out details of a launch party for its virtual storage area network (SAN), and it looks like the product is going to be rather more capable than was first imagined. Virtzilla let the world get a glimpse of VSAN for the first time at VMworld 2013, when it revealed it as a “proper” SAN rather than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better late than never?

Remember when EMC (and Chuck Hollis) referred to storage virtualization as "Frankenstorage"? (Read http://chucksblog.emc.com/chucks_blog/2009/02/whither-frankenstorage.html).

Call it divine intervention but I guess EMC/VMware discovered that there might be something to virtualizing storage after all... as long as it's internal server storage so it doesn't disrupt EMC's core business. Oh... but now there's ViPR in case you do prefer to virtualize your array storage after all. Hypocrisy and late-to-market tech should never get in the way of highjacking your customers.

Just remember, this is not your dad's VMware. This is all EMC. I can't wait to see what the vSAN maintenance bill looks like after the EMC... er... VMC...er... VMware rep gives you a "quarter end deal you can't refuse".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better late than never?

EMC have done virtualized storage for years. Go and look up Symmetrix.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Symmetrix was not real storage virtualization as it only virtualized their own disk, not third party arrays.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're correct that there's close ties between VMware and EMC. I strongly feel that this VMware technology is backed by EMC upper management as a bright future for both companies. I would guess that the EMC sales force may think differently because of the potential of cutting into their profit margins. There's far more potential in profitable software compared to low-margin disk arrays (which is continually becoming more commoditized). The most profitable network and storage hardware companies will be those who have vision and capable of abstracting their software onto standard commodity hardware and hypervisors. Converged hardware is how the largest public cloud IaaS providers are building out their datacenters in order to sell and manage the cheapest possible VMs.

3. Dave Nicholson

"Hypocrisy and late-to-market tech"

Definition : The act of developing new technology to address emerging markets when you are an existing real company.

LOL.

2. El Gokri'x

Embiggens?

Really?

1. Adrian Harvey

Re: Embiggens?

You're not a Simpsons fan, I guess?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Embiggens?

Better than "largerizes"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many copies of data?

Am I right in thinking you need four copies of the data for it to be considered a "safe" deployment?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like