"This topic is closed to new comments"

This topic was created by Jamie Jones .

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    WTF?

"This topic is closed for new posts"

The article is less than a few hours old!

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/02/17/angela_merkel_eu_internet_nsa_us/

1. Chris Miller

Re: "This topic is closed for new posts"

I suspect interference from the EU-Stazi (but, I doubt we'll ever know).

2. Phil W

I beleive El Reg editors/moderators will some times close an article comment thread, or stop it's creation in the first place, if they believe there is a high probability of comments being made that would have legal consequences.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Phil W - Re: "This topic is closed for new posts"

I agree about the legal consequences angle, but I fail to see any scope for that in this particular article.

I would have expected plenty of comments on similar lines to the one that did get through, pointing out the high likelihood that the initiative would fail, but what sort of comment could possibly have had legal consequences?

I reckon the worst that could have happened would have been comments designed to ridicule a couple of politicians. Since when would that have had legal consequences?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Phil W - "This topic is closed for new posts"

> the worst that could have happened would have been comments designed to ridicule a couple of politicians. Since when would that have had legal consequences?

Health consequences, on the other hand...

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

I'll put my hand up - that was my fault. I accidentally hit the wrong button. I'm sorry about that.

Normally I can hit another switch to turn the comments back on, but this happened right in the middle of the rollout of some internal changes to our system, which delayed the regeneration of the forum for the article.

The comments are open again.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

@diodesign - Re: "This topic is closed for new posts"

Damn - another conspiracy theory bites the dust.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Black Helicopters

Re: @diodesign - "This topic is closed for new posts"

Don't trust them! Their logo is a vulture. It's all the clue you need, that they plan to devour you. There is a conspiracy - they're just trying to lull you into a false sense of security, so you'll take your tinfoil hat off!

And The Register never landed on the Moon either. They faked it in Playmobil, and it was only because the camera was so blurry that no-one but me noticed.

Why will no-one believe me!!!

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

Cheers, Diode Sign! ( :-) )

And yes, I was wondering how someone managed to comment on a closed topic... I thought maybe he was one of the illuminati or something :-)

</tin-foil hat>

3. Lionel Baden
        Joke

"I'll put my hand up - that was my fault. I accidentally hit the wrong button. I'm sorry about that."

I hope the NSA got your family safely back to you !!!!

2. robmobz
    WTF?

Raspberry Pi to serve up bite-sized modules for bulk-buying biz bods

The comments are closed on this article despite it only having been released yesterday. Why is this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/08/raspberry_pi_junior_module_slips_into_sodimm_slots/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon