back to article Gone

Gone.

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PipV

'After lunch, the workshop leaders will run you through Microsoft VDI and licensing'

Is this more exciting than the knife edge tension that is 'Cash in the Attic', I would hate to choose the wrong thing for my afternoon....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Regardless of if you find VDI technologies more or less interesting than daytime TV, you are commenting on an IT web site, so it's entirely likely that there are quite a few people here who are far more interested in VDI than Crack in the Attic.

It's also highly likely that, because most people here have jobs, there are quite a few who haven't even heard of the aforementioned televisual anaesthetic.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

"Crack In The Attic"

In the vernacular of the West Midlands, "Cack In The Attic".

1. N2

Re: "Cack In The Attic"

Well, most of it is brown

2. Slacker@work

I got sent to the last of these session run here in sunny Manchester; tbh my time would have been much better spent watching crap in the attic even though I can't stand the program.

Storage Hunters - now that's class TV!!

2. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Can't see it being too well attended ..

This covers Windows 8.1 in the enterprise,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't see it being too well attended ..

Lets get some real life experience rather than scaremongering...

Installing Office 2013 on (Win 8) Dell laptop yesterday, log in to live to get the Office download, failed and failed, eventually Logged in from my Linux box to check password, OK.

Seem new shiny Windows with regional as UK British (only) sends password to MS log on as US keyboard layout. Mind you I was using firefox as I didn't have time to mess around with I.E. versions and delays.

Hundreds of updates later, few slow reboots and a lot of "What the fuck is it doing now!" and then Gigs of 8.1 just about ready to do some installs, it's a joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ok, so what you're actually saying is: You used a browser that sent your password in the wrong keyboard locale and you're blaming MS.

Then: You installed Office, there were some updates (personally I didnt' see anything like 100s, I suspect you exagerate.) Then you decided to install a major service pack.

That people complain about MS updating software and that they have to deal with it manually to me says more about their Enterprise qualifications than anything else.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No you are right it was only 77 (five going in on first reboot) updates on the first batch and I didn't check the next batch so the hundreds should have closer to hundred before the update, then I did the service pack, then I put office on then I did more updates, I could count them but have work to do.

If IE worked quickly not hijacking your first opening to ensure they can get you accept all the defaults (nodding go on we won't use the data right) then I'd use that but its just so slow compared to opening a browser without an agenda.

There really should be a "These people need to get on mode" where it doesn't get in the way - MSN anybody!!?? No I just need to get this done. You could right on the Firefox local, must check that, don't normally get caught, was up against other tasks, make IE work faster for setup and I wouldn't need to.

OH and you missed the bit where you say "only morons log in with a live account because it is not required for stand alone office as you have paid for it and just need to get the download"

3. rhydian

Nice wide spread of locations

I do love how apparently no-one uses computers west of Berkshire or anywhere between Manchester and Edinburgh

4. Joe Harrison

Looks like the Reading event might be sparsely attended

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /k/ms-pcit-workshop-1-apr1 on this server.

Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at go.theregister.com Port 80

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit more notice...

...might have been nice. Can't swing time off/out with the boss for next week unfortunately.

Otherwise would've made a nice day out of the office.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: A bit more notice...

I almost sent a link to my boss, suggesting our company send someone, since we have made BYOD a key strategic imperative for 2014.

Then I saw the Windows 8 disclaimer, and didn't bother. Currently, Windows 8 hasn't made it into a 3 year plan yet, let alone 5 year (he says, on an XP machine due for upgrade in 2 weeks).

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>since we have made BYOD a key strategic imperative for 2014.

And you don't expect anyone to turn up with a Windows 8.n tablet or whatever?

Whilst I did question the sanity of MS several years back when it effectively claimed Win7 was for the Enterprise and Win8 was for the consumer and hence could be ignored by the Enterprise, but then went on to effectively say that it was only putting Win8 on tablets etc. ...

I would recommend you do send someone, if only to get an initial flavour of what might be involved, because, the event is actually mainly about System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Windows Intune, plus before your next desktop refresh and potentially this year I expect you will have some BYOD Win8 devices on your network, along with iOS and Android, regardless of the 3 and 5 year plans...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How about turning up with a variety of Apple devices as these seem to be more common than anything running Windows 8 in the corporate environment?

Out here in my bit of the former colonies (S. Asia) there is a local business doing the Windows 8 to Windows 7 downgrades for you. Give them your old XP machine and they'll return a new machine to you with everything all setup just like it was on the old one right down to the Quick Launch bar. (I know this is simple but they make a point of it in their advertising on more than a few tuc-tuc's). I smile as I walk past their business on my way to the office each day. The seem to be doing a very good trade.

Now back to the real world where the local MS Experts have been trying to install SQLServer 2008 into an MCSC Environment for the last 10 days. Sigh.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Er, some mistake surely...

This story is two days old, and yet it's appearing on the Reg front page in the middle of a load of today's stories.

Manila, you say? I thought it was various UK venues, not Manila...

Oh... MANILLA.

Ah.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Er, some mistake surely...

Yeah, I thought we'd got away from the "old articles masquerading as new ones" shenanigans with the site redesign some while back.

Come on El Reg, you put those "highlighted articles" sections in the UI for a reason, so please use them.

This topic is closed for new posts.