back to article Google, Apple pop a cap in that Flappy Birds crapp app flapp

Apple and Google have apparently launched a campaign to shut down the fledgling Flappy Bird clone industry after banning copycat games from app stores. A number of devs have claimed their Flappy apps have been rejected from both the Apple app store and Google Play. After Dong Nguyen removed Flappy Birds from both app stores, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NotWorkAdmin

I've never heard of such a brutal and savage injustice

I cared so little about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've never heard of such a brutal and savage injustice

I've got to admit to a certain degree of fascination at the amount of effort that people are willing to put into telling the world about things they don't care about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I've got to admit to a certain degree of fascination at the amount of effort that people are willing to put into telling the world about things they don't care about."

It's called 'wit'. Have you not heard of it?

2. Goldmember

I thought about making a Flappy Birds clone. Then I thought "nah, fuck it. Beer instead."

Winner.

2. cd

Angry Flappy Birds

1. Eddy Ito

Soon to be followed by the sequel Slap Happy Flappy Birds

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Angry Flappy Candy Bird Crush Saga!

How low can we go?

1. Vociferous

Well, there's the NSFW version, Fappy Birds...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange..

When I search for "Flappy Birds on mobile devices" I get a totally unexpected set of results - perhaps I need to reenable my adult filter. :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Freedom!

Never played it, but fascinated by the overlordship of the powers who know better.

5. Forget It
    Coffee/keyboard

Twikky wikky wikky wee - courtesy of Edward Lear

On a little piece of wood,

Mr. Spikky Sparrow stood;

Mrs. Sparrow sate close by,

A-making of an insect pie,

For her little children five,

In the nest and all alive,

Singing with a cheerful smile

To amuse them all the while,

Twikky wikky wikky wee,

Wikky bikky twikky tee,

Spikky bikky bee!

1. sabroni Silver badge

Pointy birds, oh pointy pointy.

Anoint my head. Anointy-nointy.

6. Arctic fox
    Trollface

Apple and Google agree on something?

Now I really am scared.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where would the world of computer games be if it weren't for copying other people's ideas? Obviously these are just blatantly cashing in, but many old 8bit games shamelessly ripped each other off. In fact the vast majority of 1st person shooters could be the same game and only the most hardcore gamer would know the difference. (Oh, this D-Day 1st person shooter is Utah beach and that one is Omaha beach, totally different then...)

1. Oninoshiko
      Mushroom

Bah!

it's all Wolfenstien 3D clones anyway!

2. Vociferous

> Where would the world of computer games be if it weren't for copying other people's ideas?

You mean the way Flappy Bird ripped off the C64 game Airwolf?

8. Sandpit
    Thumb Up

It's all about the money

I would be happy if they just banned all the ones that tried to exploit money from poor unsuspecting kids (aka parents bank acounts) and left the unimaginative freebie clones up to market forces.

I suspect Apple and Google have taken this action because of the former category rather than the latter.

9. Solly

Flappy Turd? surely Crappy Turd would've been more appropriate...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's got to be flappy to fly.

10. Tom_

Nervous

I hope that they'll look more closely than just at the name. Otherwise when I come to release my 1920s themed, point and click adventure following a young woman as she explores the fashion and dances of the speakeasies it may turn out I've wasted a whole morning and most of an afternoon developing Flapper Bird. :(

11. kryptonaut
  12. M Gale

Considering Flappy Bird is a rip off of the "Heli2D" game I made for a first-year university project, and the project itself was a rip-off of similar games going back decades...

What da fook you on 'bout, Gapple?

1. Suricou Raven

I have a theory that people love games featuring ballistic trajectories, or things that provide the illusion of same.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting. It's coming.

How long before someone sneaks 'fappy bird' through?

14. Simon Harris

a game called Flappy Bee is still for sale on Google Play.

For sale?

What? People actually pay for this stuff?

15. Andy Taylor
    FAIL

Where's the mention of Flappy Bert?

Easily the best parody app, and an official Sesame Street product too:

http://www.sesamestreet.org/cms-static/flappy_bert/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure Dong (appropriate name?) will re-release it soon. Talk about creating demand by cutting off supply.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the hell?

All this over some clone of the various "helicopter in a cave", "snake in a hole" type games that have existed to decades?

Bloody hell people, get a grip! The game is not original in an shape or form. The entire game is a rip (see above) and the graphics are blatant copy of Nintendo.

Storm, teacup.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Original Program

Don't y'all know that there's only ever been one original computer program ever written? Every other program is just a copy and tweak operation against an earlier program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iefbr14#History_from_the_RISKS_Digest

19. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Childcatcher

In soviet AppStore....

... your App will be righteously REJECTED by the selected guardians of UTTER ORIGINALITY and GLORIOUS INNOVATION sitting in deep ZEN MEDITATION in the HIGH CASTLE of the FRUITY DO-NAUGHT!

But isssuing "Flappy Jobs at Flapple" will cause a free visit by a LEGAL GOON SQUAD.

Flap on, peasant, and be grateful! (Jobs 25:17)

20. Player_16
    Paris Hilton

How about...

How about Fappy Flap.

A vagina being guided thru a bunch of penises.

21. RyokuMas
    Coat

"Flappy Bird"

I still hear the words "Flappy Bird" but interpret them as "mother in law"...

22. Sir Gaz of Laz

I had a mate who tried to sell the idea of

Birdy Flaps, but the coding was a labia-rinth of complexity.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh rly?

Seriously guys, go looking for 'Selling clones of my app'... Only, don't just Google® for it.

Both Google and Apple's app stores don't give a flying F*** about copycats ripping off small developers' games and utility apps. Only big software companies with armies of IP lawyers can make any worthwhile revenue (as in, enough to grow a small company into a medium-to-large one) from from app store sales...

..Companies like Google and Apple, if you get my meaning. Companies that wouldn't want their engineers getting ideas about life outside the cubicle farm.

24. EPurpl3

Definitely Google has more apps than Apple, I have searched, more than 250 flapp crap games on Google app store.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like