back to article Play.com tech titan snaps up 'VoIP-tastic WhatsApp' firm Viber

Japanese ecommerce giant Rakuten will slurp messaging app Viber for $900m in cash as it continues its plans for world domination. The firm behind Play.com offers services from shopping to online video and is now adding messaging and VoIP to its repertoire courtesy of Viber, which is run from Cyprus by Israeli entrepreneur …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MrWibble

Oh dear, that'll be the end of Viber then. Play.com turned to shit after they took over.

1. Shady

Absolutely. Play used to be my 100% exclusive go-to place for CD's, games & DVD's. Since Rakuten took over and turned it Yet Another Marketplace I've bought one single solitary item from them - and only because I failed to find it anywhere else. (a very particular edition of the Likely Lads, if you must know).

Over the years I've placed approximately £6,000 of orders on Play.com before Rakuten screwed it up - most of that money is now going to Amazon and Apple (eww), as much as I hate to admit it.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Not bought anything since they got sold either.

2. James R Grinter

What screwed up Play.com was the change in VAT arrangements for sales from the Channel Islands, no? I can't help but feel that Rakuten didn't do their due diligence on the deal.

2. tin 2

agree entirely

I couldn't even figure out what they did with play.com seemed like ebay but even more dodgy, and haven't bought since. Was my first choice too.

3. Jason 41

Yep..and now play.com appears to be down!

Damn it, I wanted to buy t-shirts

4. djack

What's this got to do with WhatsApp?

5. Anomalous Cowturd
    Black Helicopters

Cyprus based?

So, all your Viber chats will be routed via Akrotiri or some other GCHQ outpost?

Nice.

No need to worry about helicopters in this weather!

1. dogged

Re: Cyprus based?

They already are.

2. The last doughnut

Re: Cyprus based?

So at least someone will get to enjoy the photos your mum sent me

6. Paul J Turner

An excellent match for eCommerce

Because Skype worked out great for eBay... Oh, wait...

7. Frank Bough

CANT buy from play.com

Anymore, even if you want to. The site is borked beyond belief.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like