back to article Coldplay in digital and vinyl giveaway

Coldplay have announced they'll be giving away a free download of Violet Hill from their forthcoming album Viva La Vida, as well as an old-school 7-inch vinyl version of the ditty with 7 May's NME. The former will, according to the BBC, be available from 12:15 BST on 29 April for one week only down at the band's online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Hero
    Paris Hilton

Another spinning turd from an overrated pile of bead jiggling turds

...oh great, another dreary release from that whinging do-gooder.

Clearly the rest of the album is more of the same whiney crap as all the others. That's why they only dare release one single as a freeby download, it's probably the only thing worth listening to, the rest they're hiding away just in case we spot it's the same cookie cutter template whingy noise as everything else they've done.

Man...I hate Coldplay, them and their formulaic whiney, bleaty, look at us, we're so 'save-the-world-and-so-should-you' do-goodyness, artificial two faced caring bollocks.

Paris, 'cos she do-badyness.

2. Simon Preston

Worth a shot.

If this doesn't get people listening to their dreary music, then nothing will. (I'm guessing not though)

3. Matt Siddall

Title is required

Good for them. Let's hope lots of people download it

4. H3N0451

Does this mean someone will actually buy the NME?

I thought about three people were buying it a week.

5. Rob Crawford
    Unhappy

Brilliant I'm off to get it

or perhaps not, I guess they have been very green in the constant recycling of blandness.

Even their lyrics are so non specific they could be applied to anything (therby also being very green).

Sigh, they may be very nice people but clould they please grow some testicles before offering any more of their wares

6. David H
    Flame

@Anonymous Hero

I'm not really a Coldplay fan (some of their tracks are OK though), but to cast judgement on something without actually hearing it is rather harsh though, don't you think? (This time they might have produced an album full of banging techno tunes or South American pan pipes.)

As for saving the world, well why not? And what is actually wrong with 'doing good' - surely by definition it must be better than doing bad? They may be wealthy rock stars - hypocritical ones if you insist - but they're entitled to their opinions and you don't have to listen to them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

99.99% Probability

that the site will go down due to the load on the first and second days. Marketing/PR can be too good, the BBC web site has this news article and it contains the word "FREE" and there is a deadline of only one week to download so many people will panic and download on the first day (Tuesday) !

8. Pete James

Stable door, horse, gorn........

Too late.

"Seldom Seen Kid" by Elbow is already album of the year and no amount of publicity stunts will make Coldplay any better.

Never mind. Chris can pull a few more camera avoidance stunts and look suitably miserable I suppose.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okay...

Giving their stuff away for free? Looks like people will, for once, be getting their money's worth from Coldplay, almost.

10. heystoopid
    Joke

Well

Well since Iloons has bumped the ailing EMI out of number four spot for sales of music and storming up the charts to become the new major player in the field little wonder all musicians are about to jump ship from the big four record companies who have lost some two thirds of the multimedia share in under six year , and at currents rates of decline will literally cease to exist in their current form in under four years !

Now where did I put all those shares I held in that Buggy Whip manufacturing company again , maybe they will be worth something when we run out of oil and need hayburners and relatively clean very low polluting mobile fertilizer machines to get around on ?

11. Rob Crawford
    Coat

@David H

I remember the phrase "Only a fool keeps on doing the same thing and expects something different to happen"

Coldplay keep on going into the studio (fill in the rest yourself)

I don't deny that from all acounts they are very nice chaps, but thats nothing to do with making music.

It's bland pap (no I didn't mean to type pop), with non specific lyrics. Actually pan pipes sums up the utter blandness of their 'product' and "banging techno tunes" although crap would atleast be something to react against

Sorry !

Mines the one made out of peanut butter & raw meat (formally owned by a Mr I Pop)

12. English Bob

As predicted

At 12:20 the site had slowed to as near absolute zero as makes no difference...

13. Neil
    Unhappy

I'll get me coat

...... I actually thought 'Paracutes' was an excellent albumn, saying that though, the missus was in the process of becoming an ex-missus so i guess that might of clouded my judgement somewhat

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

coldplay, thanks for nothing

wow, a free single! thanks so much! I cant wait to buy the album now. Thanks for following in other pioneers footprints like Radiohead, that allowed people to get for free or pay for their album, or NIN with many options to listen and buy, but you, you give us a free single. Something i would never get to hear for free online anyway.

I got an idea, take your whinney, wishing you were as good as radiohead, married to an idiot starlet that always puts her foot in her mouth, fruit naming lead singer, home.

Coldplay is so yesterday, I dont even think people care any more.

This topic is closed for new posts.