back to article Google hefts MySQL service into cloud

Google has pushed its MySQL-based cloud database service into general availability, months after beginning a wholesale shift of internal production servers to MariaDB. The new service encrypts customer data, supports databases up to 500GB in size, and has a 99.95 percent uptime service-level agreement, the company announced on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

re. MySQL cf. MariaDB

Can anyone who has used both of them tell us if there are any significant differences between them, in terms of their capability and suitability for various tasks?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: re. MySQL cf. MariaDB

How about hosting something people actually want to use like SQL Server or even Oracle DB?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. wikkity

People want SQL Server? Bizarre!

Seriously though it's most likely a licensing issue, it would cost a lot more than than a few cents a day for an Oracle instance, especially one sitting in the internet. If you understand licensing of these as a dba you can add 10,000s at least to your salary.

Another reason, Google don't use those. They only seem to offer services around stuff they use for themeselves which I can understand, if you can earn a bit extra cash of what you do why not, but moving outside that then you are looking at extra costs you wouldn't normally have and not be able to focus as much on your main business.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"People want SQL Server? Bizarre!"

Well it is now the most commonly used database server....

1. wikkity

Re: Well it is now the most commonly used database server....

Source for that? I'd personally be amazed if that is the case, I could possibly believe Access if you want to stretch things. For starters it only runs on windows unlike the other major players.

In (cough) years of experience with many companies (as an employee, client and provider) the only times I have encountered a SQL Service instance is when the system has been MS centric and they have been few and far between, i.e. MS dev tools, MS languages, MS platform. But maybe thats because I don't tend to get involved with MS development projects through both choice and suitability for the role. (I wouldn't be able to put a number of the amount of systems I've seen/worked on but you are talking several hundred.)

I've no problems about being proven wrong, just find it hard to believe.

1. JDX Gold badge

Amazon offer MSSQL, Oracle, etc as well as MySQL (or Maria). I wonder if they release stats on number of nodes using each?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Source for that?"

The source? The one I've seen is from IDC in 2011 . You know, the research org whose reports and white papers invariably seem to have "sponsored by Microsoft/Oracle" in really small print somewhere. It does look like SQL Server did see a substantial market gain last year, but I'm sure all the vendors can bend the stats over backwards to claim the 'crown' courtesy IDC Gartner et al.

1. wikkity

I'm really not trolling here, I am genuinely interested. I had a bit of search into this before I posted and did a bit more afterwards but can't find anything recent or comprehensive. Gartner in 2012 are saying oracle is the clear winner, I found something with IDC that says for window servers SQL Server is way in front (which I could begin to believe).

Plus a lot of the reports seem to be orientated to licensed databases, i.e. missing most mysql and postrgressql database installations.

3. Tom 7

I haven’t worked in a windows sweat shop for a while but ISTR that SQLServer was used by a lot of petty bits and pieces in the Windows setup so it may be used a lot more than you would suspect - not through free choice. It came with 5 free licenses so you used those to play and then were forced by management to go live with your hacked up demo and had to pay for another 5 so it would could be accessed via the web server and another holiday in the Caribbean to connect it to outlook....

Yes so I can imagine it being the most licensed DB after Oracle but used? I have at least one running copy of MySql or Maria on every machine I've touched that runs it. But none of them are licensed or recorded in anyway - the opposite of SQLServer which will have a recorded 'presence' in probably anywhere that runs an MS Server license.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Yes so I can imagine it being the most licensed DB after Oracle but used? "

Yes used - and more than Oracle too:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/06/06/nine-more-reasons-everyone-should-be-excited-about-the-microsoft-cloud.aspx

"Microsoft SQL Server is now the most widely used database in the world (46% market share), and has outgrew Oracle by nearly 2x."

1. wikkity

That article on technet provide no source details for the information and seems to either plain incorrect or putting so much spin on figures to not be worthy of consideration, e.g. the very first:

"76% of all enterprise apps now run on the cloud-friendly Windows Server platform"

Clearly untrue. For starters I find it impossible to believe that 76% of all enterprise apps are hosted in a cloud never mind on their platform.

I'd suspect that these figures are based on strict MS centric criteria.

"Microsoft SQL Server is now the most widely used database in the world (46% market share), and has outgrew Oracle by nearly 2x."

This is most probably referring to deployments on windows servers

3. rvt

I always wondered why they didn't use PostgreSQL.

Then again, I think that MySQL is where the pass is, even though it's the lesser good relational DB of the two, it's a shame really that they don't want to improve PG...

2. LesC
    Coat

Cloud, ploughed?

MyNSA, perhaps?

Mines is the one with the slurped data in the pocket.

3. tootsnoot

> How about hosting something people actually want to use

Or PostgreSQL for that matter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grammar pedantry

"Off of"? "Off of"! Arggh!

5. phil dude
    Boffin

not a troll but...

A few years ago I did a side project to my DPhil which was to analyse the correlation between human genotypes and their diagnostic conditions when they presented themselves to the hospital.

I used postgres because I needed it to be open (as the NIH or whoever was paying insisted), and because I found the right modules quite quickly to spit out JSON (JS gets flack, but this is a cool feature for driving HTML5 apps).

I built a test system on a workstation for 5000 patient datasets and the entire human genome, but the next stage would have been to try "cloudification", so it is interesting to see these services appear as cost savings to spinning up a whole virt box with a server...

P.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like