back to article Boffin talks WATER on MARS: Granted, no 'smoking gun', but all clues flow there...

Images of dark markings on the surface of Mars that appear to flow as the planet experiences seasonal changes have given boffins the strongest indication of possible liquid water on the planet, but it's proving difficult to come up with conclusive proof. Dark, seasonal flows at Palikir Crater on Mars snapped by the High …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Dark water?

> the strongest indication of possible liquid water on the planet, but it's proving difficult to come up with conclusive proof.

Isn't "dark" the usual, cosmological, prefix for tagging a phenomenon that the boffins think should exist, but can't quite find?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Dark water?

Ir would be truly amazing if they found a pint of the Dark on Mars! They'd never get a decent head on it, though.

1. 's water music

> Ir would be truly amazing if they found a pint of the Dark on Mars!

Not ready for another 215 years or so by my reckoning (assuming the Mars branch is in sync with Vienna)

2. Richard Taylor 2
        Pint

You don't think the relatively low pressure/gravity might help?

2. Euripides Pants
      Trollface

"Isn't "dark" the usual, cosmological, prefix for tagging a phenomenon that the boffins think should exist, but can't quite find?"

Like dark humor?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boffins

Sorry but when you use the word boffins it is degrading to the women and men who spend their lives working to expand humanity's boundaries. And it belittles the discoveries they made. Sounds like something the tea party in US would say.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: Boffins

You're new here aren't you?

In Vulture terms. 'Boffin' is actually a very affectionate reference to our scientific brethren. A doff of the cap even.

2. 's water music

down-voted not for content but for obvious trolling. Make sure to down-vote me for responding to it :-)

3. NumptyScrub

The recent Dr. Henri Boffin interview provided a good background on the Register's stance on the usage of the word "boffin". Historically, on this site it is used in a positive context to indicate a scientist who is capable of hard sums and proper science, as opposed to someone with e.g. a PhD in Media Studies.

Immediate assumption of a negative context where none was intended, can sometimes be indicative of personal bias; why do you believe the term "boffin" is in fact negative, or the Register's use of the term intended to be derogatory?

4. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: Boffins @AC

Sir - your post smacks of the cursory attention and inanities associated with Trick Cyclery. Desist forthwith!

5. Mike Smith

Straight off the top of my head:

Marie Curie.

Rosalind Franklin.

Two highly-respected boffins whose contributions to human advancement went a lot further than anonymous petulance.

1. herman

No, don't be so sexist. They were boffinas, not boffins.

6. Stoneshop
      FAIL

Sounds like something the tea party in US would say.

Won't. They don't know what they are.

3. Tom 7

Could be something far more dull

until the increase in UV light turns it lighter faster when the summer comes.

4. VinceH
    Alien

It's plain to see what's happening here.

(Or, rather, there. And it isn't plain to see - that's the point, but never mind.)

The Martians are playing games. They wait until we aren't looking, then turn the taps on, and turn them off again before we look again.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Facepalm

Yes of course! The simplest explanations are often the best.

Upvoted for your perspacity.

2. et tu, brute?
      Thumb Up

VinceH, have another upvote! I like the way you think... as a matter of fact, I was thinking the same when reading the article! Great minds, and all that...

5. Frankee Llonnygog

I'm launching a new brand of cigarettes called Gun

Just so I can contradict anyone who says there's no smokin' gun

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I'm launching a new brand of cigarettes called Gun

But then you will have to launch the "Smoking Mushroom" for the State Department.

6. Snivelling Wretch

> it could be because the observations were made in the afternoons

Typical academics, sleeping off last night's booze.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ice caps?

Surely the martian ice caps are the greatest indicator of water?

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: Ice caps?

"Surely the martian ice caps are the greatest indicator of water"

Well they would be if it was water ice up there but as it's Carbon Dioxide ice they are not that good an indicator.

The evidence of sedimentary rock shown in some strata formations is pretty clear evidence that water was once abundant on Mars but that does not really help much now.

8. Arachnoid

it could be because the observations were made in the afternoons, missing morning moisture.

So why don't the Boffins start the tests earlier and additionally set up a shaded area to allow extra time before the "moisture" evaporates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: it could be because the observations were made in the afternoons, missing morning moisture.

I don't think MRO was sent up with an arsenal of rocket propelled umbrellas and a precision targeting system

1. NumptyScrub

Re: it could be because the observations were made in the afternoons, missing morning moisture.

quote: "I don't think MRO was sent up with an arsenal of rocket propelled umbrellas and a precision targeting system"

A startling and quite unacceptable oversight, how on earth mars are those Rovers supposed to enjoy a quiet G&T (or Pimms, should one prefer) in the late afternoon, if nobody thought to bring an umbrella for some shade?

This needs to be rectified forthwith >:(

2. Tchou
      Coat

Looks like someone holds something wrong

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like