back to article Microsoft, Oracle name the date to consummate Azure deal

Microsoft has written to Oracle-on-Azure users, letting them know that as of March 12th they'll be paying for the Oracle bits of it. Oracle's database, the WebLogic Server and Java development have been available on Azure since September 2013, when the two software titans delivered on their June 2013 announcement of a cloudy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now you can buy your vendor lock in from the cloud too

That's the first thing that comes to mind when reading this. Both vendors share a tendency of constant price increases, poor support and general disregard for the customer. A match made in heaven.

1. MrE
      Happy

Re: Now you can buy your vendor lock in from the cloud too

Bit like all the corporate vendors then including the top 2 most valuable companies.

2. h4rm0ny

Hmmm. At the time of this posting, your comment seems to have been modded up by two people who hate Microsoft and down by three people who have actually used Azure.

I run a service on Azure. The interface is lovely and support has been excellent. I wonder if you've any actual professional experience with it, AC? Did you know, btw, that MS offer Linux boxes on Azure? There's lock-in for you!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OP here. No, I don't run anything on Azure. Without saying that everyone is in my same situation, there is basically one reason: price. That onyl applies if you develop with Java and a fairly decent ORM. Then it is actually possible to choose between Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL or Postgres without having to touch your application too much, if at all. That way you have many options for deploying, and Windows by virtue of its license costs, is simply more expensive than other alternatives.

Of course, if you are already locked in MS and have mountains of .Net code targeting SQL Server, then Azure surely looks attractive in comparison with running it in house. The trick -and the difficult part- is to avoid the lock in in the first place. Most people don't have a choice because of the legacy stuff already running.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"if you develop with Java"

No that has been disinvest here for a number of years now thank god. Terrible stack, and the worst security nightmare ever.

Pretty much everything has been ported to .Net now - so refreshing to be able to deploy the same code on a new OS with the latest .Net run time and have it just work. And to not have to patch the runtimes every few weeks...and so much better performance and scalability, choice of languages, with better GC, etc. etc. etc....There is simply no contest - If you are still locked into a Java stack then my condolences....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I think you're assuming client side Java, and I was referring to server side Java. Java and C# server side are pretty much tied up on features and performance, as far as I know. You seem to know better, and in that case you should share your findings about C# speed, scalability and GC with the rest of the world.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"poor support"

I can't comment on Oracle, but Microsoft's enterprise support is outstandingly good.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

"Please use us!"

So, while the rest of the world is getting on discovering that they can very well do without Oracle databases, Java application servers and Microsoft operating systems, these two companies have started to notice the lack of new business. Putting stuff on a cloud isn't going to be enough: they are going to have to change their business models and lower their prices. Oh, and port their crown jewels to ARM.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Please use us!"

"So, while the rest of the world is getting on discovering that they can very well do without ..... Microsoft operating systems"

Seeing as Microsoft currently have a 75% share of the Server market and revenue is growing, perhaps not so much in this case.....Not to mention that the vast majority of companies that 'discover they can do very well without Oracle and Java' - migrate to SQL Server and .Net!

"Oh, and port their crown jewels to ARM."

Microsoft already ported their latest kernel - it runs under ARM on Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT. Simply a matter of there being market demand and Microsoft can click the compile button on the rest of the toolset for a server edition....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anyone who's used an RT8.1 tablet will know that it is basically full on Windows. All the services are there, as is powershell, command prompt, etc. there is also a large amount of the tools that you'd expect to have on a server, disk manager, scheduler etc.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if MS had all the extra server cruft running on ARM and are just biding their time.

2. Tom 38
        WTF?

Seeing as Microsoft currently have a 75% share of the Server market

LOL

1. MrE
          FAIL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Servers

I always find this useful for statistic reference on OS usage, Microsoft run about 33% of servers according to this, the rest split between Linux and BSD

1. keith_w
            FAIL

No, according to the article, MS runs about 33% of WEB servers. There is no mention of any number for internal servers such as file, print, or internal web servers such as MS sharepoint or server software running virualized under VMware all of which contributes mightily to Microsoft's bottom line.

Additionally, it says that Linux has been identified as running 31.8%, and BSD 1.1% of websites with an additional 34.1% running a Unix like server, but which are un-identified and therefore could be anything including AIX

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yep - about 33% of all webservers as per the last Netcraft survey run Windows - about 5% behind Apache....

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"LOL"

Why is that funny? It's not exactly news that 75% of the world's servers run on Windows. And 90%+ of desktops / laptops.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Seeing as Microsoft currently have a 75% share of the Server market and revenue is growing"

Seemingly innocent question, how much of that revenue increase is due to simply higher prices and how much is due to organic growth?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"how much of that revenue increase is due to simply higher prices and how much is due to organic growth?"

Unknown. But the price rises in the server side are largely to reflect the increased capability / performance per CPU these days rather than being a large real world cost increase.

On the desktop side maybe not so much...

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        FAIL

Microsoft already ported their latest kernel - it runs under ARM on Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT. Simply a matter of there being market demand and Microsoft can click the compile button on the rest of the toolset for a server edition....

ROTFL If it was anything like that easy then Windows RT might have had a chance. How many apps have been ported to RT? Oh, and have they ported VBA to RT as well? What, you mean that managed code can't simply be ported to a new hardware architecture because it actually depends on machine instructions?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"they are going to have to change their business models and lower their prices"

First part is easy, second part is... I'd say impossible. Any recorded event in MS or Oracle history of a customer paying less for the same? Ever?

3. Tzhx

12th or 15th?

The article posits two dates, in the same paragraph, with no explanation?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like