back to article Apple's Hacker Princess dumps fruity firm for Elon Musk's Tesla

Apple's "Hacker Princess" has left Cupertino for a new job at Tesla Motors. Kristin Paget, formerly chief hacker for reverse engineering firm H4RDW4RE, is best known for her Defcon research on a variety of GSM mobile network hacks, cooking up a passport RFID cloner and her work with a team of hackers on the security of Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas Gray
    IT Angle

Interesting, but

I can't imagine why the fact that she was once a man has any bearing on either the appointment or her work, past or present. That snippet, far from having no IT angle, doesn't even have a human interest angle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting, but

It's almost like it is being used as some sort of explanation as to why she is so good with technology.

Generally it is fairly unusual for girls to be into hardware hacking, but that's down to society and gender stereotyping more than anything.

1. Turtle

"It's almost like it is being used as some sort of explanation as to why she is so good with technology. Generally it is fairly unusual for girls to be into hardware hacking, but that's down to society and gender stereotyping more than anything."

If you click the link to her blog and read it, you'd find out that she says that her estrogen therapy has had a very profound effect on her mind.

2. John Deeb

AC: "Generally it is fairly unusual for girls to be into hardware hacking, but that's down to society and gender stereotyping more than anything."

Yes and the exact mechanics of society and stereotyping is down to... well, here your political correct statement leaves the realm of certainties and enters various social and biological theorizing and uncertain experimenting on the topic. In the mean while we can just retain as fairly common observational fact the first half of your statement that it's: "fairly unusual for girls to be into hardware hacking". Therefore the information on her being transsexual is mildly relevant.

2. Rob

Really! So it's a walk in the park for someone to change sex is it? Nothing to do with a mental, emotional and psychical struggle then?

A life event like that can make or break someone and ultimately will always shape the person they turn out to be, good or bad.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Hollerith 1

Not a walk in the park, but if a person being covered by a 'new role at a new company' article had gone through serious medical treatment for, say, bipolar, do you need to mention 'oh, by the way, he was sectioned once and now takes a range of mood-stabilising drugs'? This is NOT the most interesting thing about them.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. GotThumbs
      Megaphone

I fully agree, but I guess when you have someone who blogs to the world about a supposedly intimate/personal experience, they really don't want it to be a personal thing.

It's strange how some individuals today declare that they wish to be treated equally as everyone else....yet take great strides in defining/advertising their differences to everyone who will listen/read.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this person's sex or sexual preference. I'm simply not attracted to her or interested in dating her. Now her skills and knowledge as a programer are interesting, especially now that she works at Tesla.

Why is sex/sexual preference like a badge to be worn on one's sleeve these days? It has zero to do with their job or ability and therefore irrelevant IMO.

~Best wishes

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

"I fully agree, but I guess when you have someone who blogs to the world about a supposedly intimate/personal experience, they really don't want it to be a personal thing."

Ever considered that *you* might not be the intended audience? Perhaps it's for those thinking of following in her footsteps?

5. MrDamage Silver badge
      Joke

I should think it's relevant. After all, it's the ultimate form of hardware hacking.

I'll get my coat....

2. DerekCurrie

Bastion The Walls Against Superenigmatix!

Hilarious: '...the state of Idaho, where a US district court ruled that anyone calling themselves a "hacker" forfeits their Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable searches and property seizures.'

...Which in and of itself is an unconstitutional judgement. #MyStupidGovernment at work.

'The Internet Of Things' is exactly where the best hackers should be working at this very minute. It has, as predicted, turned out to be an exponentially growing swarm of bots with any deliberately unprotected device being questioned of its loyalty. In particular, imagine the fun of a networked car racing and crashing game with REAL CARS; An IRL Carmageddon. Good hire Tesla.

3. Ted Treen
    Unhappy

"fruity firm"

Can we all club together to buy Jasper a new cliché for his birthday?

This one's a little past its 'sell by' date.

1. frank ly

Re: "fruity firm"

Thank! goodness! she! didn't! go! to! work! for! Yahoo!

1. Old Handle

No! they! use! slanted! !s! now! try! to! keep! up!

1. Midnight

That exclamation point is only tilted by eight degrees. You need to tilt it exactly nine degrees to add the correct bit of whimsy.

1. Darryl

So you're saying that Old Handle is holding that exclamation mark wrong?

4. Eddy Ito

I wonder if Tesla VP of Vehicle Programs Doug Field, who was formerly Apple VP of Product Design, had a hand in pulling her from Apple. Perhaps Tim Cook should be concerned that Doug is taking a spin around the infinite loop and offering rides to top talent.

5. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Thumb Up

Tesla Girls

Well that's this year's project sorted out. All I need to work out now is where to keep the Tesla coil when I've finished it.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Tesla Girls

If you mount it on a suitable adjustable-height base, couldn't you use your shiny new Tesla coil as a convenient bar stool? Breakfast bars are fashionable nowadays.

What could possibly go wrong...

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

That's not a Tesla coil

This is a Tesla coil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-AS13fl30

Or one day maybe this:

http://lod.org/Projects/LightningFoundry/LightningFoundry.html

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a piece of work

She'll fit in perfectly in Elon's fantasy world. Just don't tell the public about security issues, the battery fires, lack of recharging stations, 30% drop in mileage in cold weather, even more losses with the electric heater turned on. What consumers and the public don't know won't hurt them...at least not until they spend their money and learn some hard lessons of life.

1. Arisia

Re: What a piece of work

Yeah, it seems the Norwegians hate the Tesla.

Useless in winter

Terrible sales

2. Stephen Gray

Re: What a piece of work

Because every new technology works perfectly out of the box. Stop whinging. I bet you have and use a mobile phone. Have you noticed they're shit? Everyone still uses them.

8. Frank N. Stein

It's not a good idea for anyone located anywhere to publicly refer to themselves in Social Media, as a "hacker". But a "transgender hacker"? What has the world come to?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like